The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Ebay heads up!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:16 pm 
Weird thing happened yesterday- I got an email from ebay saying they had pulled an auction and cancelled my bid on it "because it appears that the seller's account has been compromised and used by an unauthorized third party." And that if I have already paid for the item, to make every effort to get my money back (stop payment on cheque- file claim with credit card/Paypal etc.). :shock:

So I guess someone had hacked into his account and was using it to sell stuff (thereby avoiding ebay's fees)?

The thing is not only had I paid for the item- I had already received it! I've had it for over a month now, and we have both left positive feedback for each other! :roll:

Talk about a slow response from ebay! Kinda scary situation- I'm lucky I got it at all (it was a Force FX lightsaber by the way). Actually when I think about it, the guy's account may have been hacked after our transaction- and the email from ebay might have been an automatic response for all his transactions in the last 90 days?

But it does put a whole new spin on things-- Basically if an item is "too good to be true" or someone has really crappy feedback, you steer clear. Now I have to worry if the seller is actually the real seller or not. It could be a scam artist/hacker using someone's account with perfect feedback to lure you in (this guy's feedback is 415 %100- with 47 feedbacks since my transaction!). It could be someone just stealing your money! :evil: :roll:

F--- Me! :evil:

Kevin

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TgDnAloXyJBkYBZV7s*Kj9!1Bc8b0FJ!WEmX8BpHJk8yRyABH697OsLy1Bm1knQrHcDDdHqDnRAmyoDB6vy6w!ASmCM57J8W6cyCxY8Y84TWwwCw7UVNAA/Burton%20004.JPG[/img]

"I know I'm human. And if you were all these things, then you'd just attack me right now, so some of you are still human. This thing doesn't want to show itself, it wants to hide inside an imitation. If it takes us over, then it has no more enemies, nobody left to kill it. And then it's won."

Post subject: Re: Ebay heads up!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:27 pm 
Not sure I understand. Did you get any response from the seller?

EDIT: Congrats on the saber!!!:D
What are you doing with a gun in space?Edited by: [url=http://p220.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=joeranger>joeranger[/url] at: 7/30/06 9:28 am

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:22 pm 
OK here's what happened in order:

1- I bid on, won, and paid for the saber.

2- Two weeks later I received it in perfect condition.

3- We left each other positive feedback.

4- One month later Ebay informs me that the seller's account has been compromised by an unauthorized third party (perhaps a hacker?), and not to complete the transaction. Further if I have already paid for the item- I should immediately take steps to get money back.

A little too late yes? :roll:

But again I think the real issue is that up until now we have always trusted the rating system to know if a seller is legit.

Now it seems that even the rating system cannot be trusted as it might not be the actual seller conducting the auction. It might be someone else using the seller's identity and putting on a bogus auction to rip you off. :evil: :(

Hope this is clearer, and thanks for the congrats. :)

EDIT: Oh and no response from the seller- but I was also told his account has been suspended pending futher investigation.

Kevin

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TgDnAloXyJBkYBZV7s*Kj9!1Bc8b0FJ!WEmX8BpHJk8yRyABH697OsLy1Bm1knQrHcDDdHqDnRAmyoDB6vy6w!ASmCM57J8W6cyCxY8Y84TWwwCw7UVNAA/Burton%20004.JPG[/img]

"I know I'm human. And if you were all these things, then you'd just attack me right now, so some of you are still human. This thing doesn't want to show itself, it wants to hide inside an imitation. If it takes us over, then it has no more enemies, nobody left to kill it. And then it's won."

Edited by: [url=http://p220.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=ssgtburton>SSgt Burton[/url]  Image at: 7/30/06 10:25 am

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:24 pm 
I'm guessing the account holder reported its compromisation to Ebay and they put a flag up on all transactions since he last checked it.
Maybe yours was the last auction thus it was flagged..

It is scary.
sometimes the 'paypal' and 'ebay' phishing e-mails are easily noticed but sometimes its just someone asking a question and you need to click the 'respond' button and log in.
Unless your really on the ball its easy to log in and not realise.

But Kev you are right that is scary.
I'm just glad you got your saber and there were no issues.
Maybe you can say you never got the item, your account was hacked and feedback was left so you can get your money back :lol: (kidding)
[img]http://www.colonialmarines.net/Banner.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:53 pm 
I think it is a case of the guy's account being hacked after our transaction. He actually gave me a discount on shipping because he had made a mistake in the total cost. Seemed a little too nice to be someone ripping you off.

Ebay probably did cancelled all transactions connected with his account going back 90 days.

I am going to try and get my money back anyway- the email from ebay frightened me and I should be compensated for the emotional distress.

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:19 am 
You could say it upset you so much it stunted your growth :D

*runs like hell*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:35 am 
HAHAH at Tony...

Just last week I got an email from Ebay stating they canceled an auction that I had won because the seller was in violation of Ebay codes (whatever)..He was a power seller and had a ton of feedback...if I recall it was 98.5+.
I used the BIN option with this guy. He was GREAT to deal with..prompt on emails and everything..the kind of Ebayer you want to deal with. I received this letter AFTER I had received the item and we both left positive feedback. I didnt see anything he had done wrong...the discription was perfect, the item was great and arrived within 5 days of the auction ending....I have no clue what the deal with Ebay was...

Derek
Pvt.
D.Smith
A04/TQ1.0.62147E1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:43 am 
I had the same thing happen to me... Although, I never got the item. It looks like it got lost in the mail or stolen... The seller is still talking to me. I dunno. I'm gonna try and get my money back.

Dave
Outstanding. Now all we need is a deck of cards.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:09 am 
I get a lot of ebay and paypal emails asking me to log in, and they look TOTALLY legit. He may have done this, the only way you really have to knowing they are not is looking at the URL, which is always a dead giveaway to anyone who knows better, but even then, they are just so convincing some times.

My girlfriend very nearly got taken by one of these, and had she not called me and asked me about it (that nagging voice of suspicion told her to before logging in) someone may well of had her ebay ID.

At least you got your merch.;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:43 am 
Yeah I get those once in a blue moon- fortunately my ISP email filter recognizes them as spam and alerts me. I just delete them without opening the mail.

Sometimes I make the effort to forward them to ebay's spoof center.

Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:23 am 
As if right on cue...

Sold an item via feepay at a Buy It now...
Seller has 0 feedback - siren 1
Seller than e-mails me requesting my name, address, phone number etc and asking when his 'company' can come to my place to pick up the item and send the access shipping funds back via western union - siren 2
I respond 'all details on ebay check out page - no details going via e-mail'

I then get the same e-mail - i respond the same

I check the guys ID - registered the day he bid and its already been suspended by eBay. However he was left one feedback.
I contact the guy he bought the stuff from and he says he got the same e-mail but also an e-mail from paypal saying the item had been paid for. He shipped the item and left him feedback
Then checks his paypal account - no money.
So not only did the guy get a free $100 microcope but also positive feedback to boot.
Anyway i mailed him saying the transaction was void and not to send any money. I got another e-mail saying money was going out today. Replied again saying the transaction was cancelled - another mail saying he was sending money.
Replied again in CAPS - no responce since

Relisted the item at $5 more to cover lost listing fee before - sells in a matter of hours and the buyer as already let me know the check is in the mail.

Beware guys....eBay and PayPal are dangerous places to be.
Please for the love of all that is sane if you get an e-mail from or via eBay log into your account and read it via your message system.
If you get a mail from PayPal check it is addressed to you by your full name and if its saying you have money log into your account via typing the url out yourself and check the money is there

https://www.paypal.com - click to show how easy it is to fool people