The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Dragoncon 2006 - Transporting Armor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:53 am 
Greetings Marines,

I just got my Dcon 06' mailing and it reminded me that this event is a little more than a month away. Anywho, I need to find a better way of transporting my armor rather than using Spat's shipping box which I have to reinforce the bottom of it each year so the gear doesn't fall out :roll:

I'm looking for a hard sided carrying case with wheels that has soft padding for the armor inside, a handle that can collapse on top for easy carrying and setup inside where I could hang my gear so it would be secured with clips or straps. I also want to be able to put a lock on it.

If these come with compartments inside to put more stuff that would be great too, although I doubt they do.

I'm looking to spend no more than $350 - 400 on this.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
[url=http://www.m41a.com][img]http://www.m41a.com/banners/neokramer.jpg[/img]
[/url]

Post subject: Re: Dragoncon 2006 - Transporting Armor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:01 am 
Try ebay. You can get good deals.

You could get something nice for 50-60 bucks.

Search: A&S case
ata case
calzone case
A&J case
flight case

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:03 am 
Well I seem to be able to get all of my armor minus the PR into a large tote you can purchase at Walmart.

Drilled 2 holes through the lips so it can be locked and it works really well.
Manageable by just one person and I find its perfect for storing and carrying. Only about $10

Hard case though......I'm afraid I do not know prices or best choices.
[img]http://www.colonialmarines.net/Banner.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:54 am 
I saw some at a luggage store. 31" hardcase. from 150-300.

Might be big enough for armour and a few things.

Dave
Outstanding. Now all we need is a deck of cards.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:50 am 
Charlie, head down to home depot or lowes and have a look at some of thier wheeled hard cases. I'd wager you'll find something for under $100, but you are going to have to customized the padding yourself, which is not hard to do, you can use bubble wrap, or sheets of foam. Both are cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:14 pm 
What kind of wheeled hard cases? I mean, what are they designed for?

Russ

"There's nothing worse than people desperate to have fun."
-Patton Oswalt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:40 pm 
I use a large rugged suitcase. This thing is 100% rigid.I could probably stand on it and it wouldn't buckle under my weight. Because of the way I assemble my armor, I can quickly break the armor down to all the seperate piece and stack two entire sets of armor (like a set of dinner plates) + 2 pulse rifles into that one hard case. But all that is because I'm flying. Charlie, you typically drive in from Florida, right? If all you're doing is driving in, I'd recommend going over to a large store like WallMart, Target, Big Lots, etc and find a large tuperware that can hold your armor. I used a large clear tuperware (about 36"Lx24H"x24"W) that I bought from Big Lots to transport my armor (still fully assembled) to the Alien Screenings and Alien Retrospective we had here in LA in which my armor was on display. Made life a lot easier for me. However, when I have to fly to D*Con, it's all going back in the Hard case.

-Alex
"The M41-A. When you absolutely, positively have to kill every mofo in the room. Accept no substitutes."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:10 am 
Quote:
Quote:What kind of wheeled hard cases? I mean, what are they designed for?

I'm speaking about your general storage container. They don't have a specific purpose. The Lowes I used to shop at in tampa had two full isles of storage containers of all kinds and all prices.

Now, in Atlanta, Home Depot is closer, and they don't seem to have as big a selection, but they do carry all kinds of crazy storage boxes, some on wheels, some nicer than others.

Your best bet is to decide what kind of space you need first. But I agree with Alex, that you should be able to find something that will work for you at Big Lots, or Wal-Mart too, just won't be on wheels.
Njc------------
Edited by: [url=http://p220.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=noeland>Noeland[/url] at: 7/27/06 5:11 pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:29 pm 
In my case it must be durable so the airline luggage handling gorillas don't destroy it. Come on, who else remembers the Samsonite commercials from the 1970s-80s? :D

Russ

"There's nothing worse than people desperate to have fun."
-Patton Oswalt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:17 pm 
Well, I am enjoying this thread. My armor is made from an orthopedic back brace, hospital grade ABS baby, foam lined for comfort and custom fit for long term wear. I can throw it in a duffle bag and smile and wave as it goes down the conveyor belt:D

The biggest issue is parts rubbing together and scratching the paint.

Funny story: I went to the "Special" check in for odd sized luggage, and told them where i was going and what was in my bag. So they took it in a back room and when I saw the door open they were all shooting each other with my PR's. Someone had my helmet on,
What are you doing with a gun in space?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:22 pm 
Love those airline baggage people huh Joe? :lol:

Thanks for the advice guys.
[url=http://www.m41a.com][img]http://www.m41a.com/banners/neokramer.jpg[/img]
[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:11 am 
Real good advice!
Sgt. Adams- USCM
A02/TQ1.0.12133E1