The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Houston, Tranquility base... the Eagle has landed!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:56 am 
Lifer

So this year I wanted to out do myself for Halloween and decided to go for a "budget" Apollo astronaut costume (as I can't afford one of those $1500 dollar costumes from ebay :( :wink: ).

To begin I bought up the necessary reference materials-

(Kidding... well sort of as I watched these movies while building the suit. Actually the majority of the reference pics I used were from the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal )

So I startred with a Tyvex painter's bodysuit from Walmart for $7:

(Unfortunately when all was said and done... this build cost a lot more than $7 dollars. :lol: :cry: )

So going by the advice from a similar DIY spacesuit build, I taped off all the seams of the suit from the inside to prevent tearing.

My plan to make the spacesuit "puffy" was to have an outer suit that would have all the patches, hose connectors, details etc, and have a second inner suit with the torso and arms covered in a thick layer of cotton batting-

The female hose couplings would be made out of some Suave shampoo bottle caps, and some caps from some industrial detergent containers at my work. The red hose male connection is a pvc 2 inch elbow joint. The blue male connection is a 1 inch elbow joint. The red male connection is permanently attached, however the blue male coupling is removable.

The pic also shows my (very fake) Omega Speedmaster watch, and my first attempt at a pressure gauge.

The EVA gloves. I originally planned to have a pair of blue kitchen gloves and put a pair of grey gloves overtop with the fingerips cut off. I bought both pairs of gloves... but when I put them together I thought they looked terrible- the grey glove "compressed" the blue glove and didn't look right.

So the gloves I ended up making were with a pair of welding gloves that I bought on sale for $14.

The fingertips were made with a child's "bubble soap/blowing/toy/thingy"- these were 4 for $3 (which meant I had to buy 12 of them :lol:) in the Halloween section! 8)

Painted them blue, cut them and stuck them in the (now cut off) fingertips of the gloves. Some of them needed to be wrapped in a bit of hockey tape so they wouldn't fall out.

And the finished left glove-

I even copied Neil's EVA instructions (his "cheat sheet"), and printed it off on some extra Tyvex material. It is held on the glove with double-sided duct tape.

The "snoopy cap" (communications headset) was made with a costume head cap (there are actually cow prints on the inside :lol:) and a pair of black flip-flops for the headphones. Thick black wire from an old set of AV hookups make up the dual microphones.

The various patches were printed out on Tyvex. I first tried running some nylon material throughmy printed, however the ink bled. The Tyvex is much more like paper and worked like a charm (however I did have to tape each piece of tyvex to a sheet of paper to properly run through the printer). Afterward I hit them all with a shot of dullcote to seal it.

Now the PLSS (Primary Life Support System) backpack-

This started with a large styrofoam box that I wrapped in cotton batting.

The communications unit was a box from the garage. My plan was to wrap the box in silver duct tape, then cover it with white nylon (the same as the PLSS unit).

At first I thought I would just attach the straps to the outer nylon layer, however I figured it wouldn't be sturdy enough, so I nailed and glued the straps directly to the styrofoam core.

All four straps attached.

And the finished backpack. At the last minute (due to time constraints) I wrapped the communications unit in white duct tape. The PLSS unit is wrapped in white nylon.

All the velcro, nametag, NASA patch, and H2O refill instructions are on there. There are supposed to be some fabric "access panels" that close with snap buttons, however I ran out of time (I'll add them eventually).

Here is the finished suit with the inner cotton suit inside it.

And some detail shots:

The umbilical section- everything is held on with "Fabric Fuze" double-sided tape (which is like a gummy glue/tape that sticks to EVERYTHING including the scissors used to cut the tape with :shock: ). The pattern of the velcro and snaps resembles Neil's flown suit.

The final pressure gauge. I know the real one was rectangular, however I couldn't get a decent view of one to print out. I figured the round gauge would more easily be recognized.

The helmet.

Since I couldn't afford one of those accurate LEVA helmets found online (and didn't have the time... or skill to try and replicate one with a plastic globe), this is where I broke down and went with a store bought helmet exactly like this one:

However I wasn't going to go out with this thing on my head unaltered. :wink:

So I took the visor off, stripped the blue and orange stripes off, took off the cheesy NASA patch and American flag, filled the holes for the plastic pins (that hold the two halves of the helmet together) and repainted the helmet satin off white.

I then added some aluminium foil tape to the visor, and added a strip of black hockey tape to the rim of the visor opening. I also added some caps that I painted silver to the ears of the visor.

The finished helmet:

And now the whole shebang!

This is my "Intravehicular" look. :lol:

(The black tactical gloves were just worn for these pics)

The neckring is a bit of a cheat and isn't actually attached to the suit-

The outside of the ring is covered in extra Tyvex, cut to form with my suit when resting on it-

I think it blends really well!

And now the EVA look- :mrgreen:

The boots were a cheap pair of winter boots I repainted (which... even though I used shoe dye/paint most of it flaked off :cry: ). These pics were taken the day after the party, so the boots are pretty beaten up looking here. :lol:

I completed the boots by adding some white ribbon held together with velcro ends.

And now the rest of my pics:

And what Apollo 11 Astronaut suit wouldn't be complete without an American Flag to plant in the lunar surface! :)

So I went to a local party on Oct 27th (my fourth year going to the same place- Haunted Hamilton at the Scottish Rite). They have a decent costume contest- Many prizes for Best Overall Costume, Best Couple, Best Group Theme, Most Unique/Original Costume, Most Bizarre Costume, Scariest Costume, Sexiest Costume, and 6 honourable mentions.

Now... I have no allusions about bar costume contests (although I would put this above the average contest in which the guy dressed as a giant penis or a chick with big breasts wins :roll: :lol:) however I did feel I had "the right stuff" to win "something" this year. :wink: :lol:

They started with the honourable mentions and 6th place first...

I ended up winning the 1st place honourable mention! :mrgreen:

This was actually my first time winning "anything" in a costume contest! :delta:

Eventually I plan on improving the chestbox by adding some control switches and the "Off Main Talk" detail, and making some more accurate EVA boots out of some overshoes/galoshes.

Well... this has been a dream come true (I mean what kid hasn't dreamed of being and astronaut at least once ;) ). And it is easily my most ambitious costume project (I usually have to "buy the right jacket" or "buy the right gloves" etc, and not have to make most of it from scratch). It was intense at times, but was all worth it once I had everything on!

Kevin

Post subject: Re: Houston, Tranquility base... the Eagle has landed!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:55 am 
Expendable

Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.52155E1
awesome costume! looks great kev!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:13 am 
95.2.00 - Adios Man!

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.02160E1
Haha, Kev. Excellent build buddy!

Really like it! :)

13th Regt. 1st Batt. 'Freebooters'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:13 am 
"Have you met me?"

Service Number: A03/TQ0.0.62144E1
That turned out really good! I'm not even working on a costume for me this year... not sure I'll even dress. Instead, I've got a kilt for the mini and a Dorothy dress for my sister in the works.

UKCM FOREIGN LEGION:
"DEVIANT DRAGOONS"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:25 pm 
Geek Magnet

Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.02149E1
That is absolutely fantastic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:48 pm 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

This is fantastic, Kev!
I always enjoy your budget builds and how you manage to get such detail in some really clever ways (love the flip-flops), but this is a real triumph - Well done!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:28 pm 
Victim

Service Number: A86/TQ3.4.49421E3
Love it, I too always love Kevins ingenious budget builds. 8)

you can't take the PUNK outa Spunkmeyer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:56 pm 
reload

Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.12136E1
Excellent budget Build! Well done.
Looks like you are ready for any Encounter.

GERCM - Executive Officer (XO)
UKCM Foreign Legion: The Deviant Dragoons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:50 pm 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
thats bad ass. smart idea with what you used to make it and it looks damn legit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:41 pm 
You there! Get me a Turkey!

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.62157E1
What's more impressive (not that the costume isn't...that's an awesome build) is the fact the photos aren't all in front of those legendary double doors.

But joking aside...that is in fact a very innovative build and came out REALLY nicely.
Congratulations Sarge!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:10 pm 
Alien Queen

I admit, I teared up over nostalgia and pride. Your build is amazing and you look amazing. I would say you perfectly represented this (real) American hero! And super congratulations on winning a prize for it, too!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:14 pm 
Not an authority on Anything

Awesome build, Kev.

Kudos!

Great ref book is "U. S. Spacesuits 2nd Ed" by Kenneth S. Thomas and Harold J. McMann.
Pub: Springer/ Praxis, ISBN 978-1-4419-9565-0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:32 pm 

Kev, we can always count on you to come up with the goods for Halloween. :shock:

Cracking job :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
Good job Kevin! Very creative and well constructed!

Russ

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:59 pm 
Bad Boy

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.22134E1
Your costumes are always most impressive. I'm looking forward to your next year's build!

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:56 pm 

Awesome work! I did the redbull stratos suit.
Of course mine has a built in (fake) beer cooler;)

Blackberry Oct 2012 495.jpg
Blackberry Oct 2012 495.jpg [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 35544 times ]

Blackberry Oct 2012 482.jpg
Blackberry Oct 2012 482.jpg [ 993.65 KiB | Viewed 35544 times ]

RB Suit 6.jpg
RB Suit 6.jpg [ 158.21 KiB | Viewed 35544 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:10 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.42147E1
Ha! Awesome Joe :)

And Kev...as I said...looking on with wonder. You did a bang up job. The look on your face all geared up shows just how much you love it. The Eagle has indeed landed...and kicked some ass too!

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:17 pm 
Duke Bronson

Last edited by SGM Baldwin on Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:58 am 
BANNED USER

Service Number: BANNED-USER-2024
That is the best cheap home made Astronaut costume I've ever seen. The ones that cost thousands of dollars for the movies don't look much better than yours, man!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:56 am 

Actually, I did both the pumpkin aces suit and the redbull, but this is the "show".
Great work.
I need to make one of these.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:26 am 
Lifer

Wow! Many thanks my friends! :delta:

SgtTony wrote:
What's more impressive (not that the costume isn't...that's an awesome build) is the fact the photos aren't all in front of those legendary double doors.

HA! I figured either you or Darren would say something. 8)

However white spacesuit... white double doors... Not a lot of contrast for detail. :wink: :lol:

Thanks again everyone for the kind words! I knew this would probably be one of my best builds- really happy with how it turned out!

So this costume is HOT! Like Arizona in July HOT! :shock: The 2 inches of cotton is what does it (not to mention wearing a full skullcap and helmet with a few holes in it for air). I was sweating BUCKETS with this thing on after half an hour! The blue plastic fingertips were full of sweat... enough to make my fingers look shriveled as if I had been in the pool too long.

Underneath I was only wearing a white sport shirt (that is designed to "wick away sweat and keep you cool"... riiiiiiiiight :roll: :( )... and some boxer shorts! After spending 4 hours at the party dancing the night away (I was doing the Moonwalk a lot :lol: ) the shorts looked like I had dunked them in water! :shock:

(Now I know what you Xenos feel like wearing an Alien suit in hot weather (or is it "any" weather? :shock: ).

Anothing thing this costumes lacks... pockets! :lol:

So because I wasn't wearing any pants (err... trousers :wink: ) I had no pockets whatsoever. I did plan on making some pockets out of the Tyvex material to stick on the left arm and leg, however I ran out of time. I did manage to get a small arm pocket done, but didn't really trust putting my keys, driver's licence, money etc. in it. I ended up wearing a traveler's money belt under the suit (yup.. it got soaked too :lol: ).

Things I do want to work on is improving the straps- they really dug into my shoulders by the end of the night. So I'm going to wrap the straps in some more cotton or foam, and sew some nylon material around them. Another thing I noticed is some chafing on the suit (especially around my ribs) from the straps rubbing against it. The nylon should prevent this from getting worse, but I also am going to reinforce the affected areas.

Definitely have to redo the pressure gauge- I wasn't really paying attention and placed it directly in the crook of my elbow on the suit. As a result it got bent to spit. I might try and make the new one closer to the actual gauge used.

Lastly I might give the suit a bit of weathering- some (very light) shots of a couple of shades of grey on the legs to simulate moondust. It would give the suit a bit more depth. :)

Once again thanks for the comments!

Oh and Joe--- your "Armageddon" suit was part of my inspiration for this build! :delta:

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:01 pm 
I Don't Roll on Shabbas

To make that with what you had Kevin is very impressive and no wonder you won a prize. Clever stuff, mate and well deserved.
Same goes for Joe. The Red Bull suit is a cool, original idea. Well done all :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:15 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
Great craftsmanship Kevin, just like on all the other costumes you have made! And I'm glad you won a prize for your efforts!

And this build is giving me ideas for that USCM space suit we talked about so long ago.

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:44 pm 
Get Some!

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.02156E1
Only one word for it:

PRO!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:43 pm 
USCM Ambassador

Service Number: AO2/TQ1.0.1233E1
Kev!!! I don't know how the heck I missed this thread!! It is pure awesome-ness!!! Wow!! Stunning, ab-so-lute-ly STUNNING WORK!!

Simply outstanding creativity!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And get yerself a set of Under Armor Heat Gard to wear underneath that awesome moon suit! Not the walmart knock offs- this is THE best thing I've found to wear under all those "unbreathable" costumes we wear. After that DCon were I got heat exhaustion from wearing the leather armored Batsuit, I got this stuff. You'll still be warm, but you'll be able to be pretty comfortable for hours on end.

Again, Fantastic Job Kevin!!

USCM- The Colonial Marines- A Brotherhood of Bad Asses!