The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Diving into airsoft with my kiid. (Heavily USCM inspired)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:08 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Son wanted an airsoft rifle more than anything for Xmas this year, so we got him one. I figure we must actually play to make it worth it and I would end up playing with him so I decided to jump all in. I'm not prepared to go full screen accurate armour at this point (respect to those that do,). But I did want to keep the colonial marine spirit.

First up, my 'tactical' vest
Attachment:
PXL_20220109_165656931.jpg
PXL_20220109_165656931.jpg [ 3.81 MiB | Viewed 3613 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:09 pm 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32151E1
Nice one!
Bet you could further the look by modding some matching kneepads into shoulder pauldrons :)

Props, cosplay pieces, upcycled ornamentation, and miscellanea;
For the discerning survivor of the apocalypse.
Steve Fletcher : Maker, Scavenger, and Junksmith.
linktr.ee/wastelandworkshop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:51 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
That’s pretty awesome!!

Surplus police riot gear would make great leg armour

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:22 am 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

Scapey wrote:
Nice one!
Bet you could further the look by modding some matching kneepads into shoulder pauldrons :)

You could probably get a shoulder lamp fixed to one of the straps quite easily, too.

And if you can find some of these, they'll make for great lower/ab pads...
Attachment:
g_pelvic.jpg
g_pelvic.jpg [ 15.45 KiB | Viewed 3561 times ]

https://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.u ... 28129.html

Spare weapon, anyone? :D

Post subject: Re: Diving into airsoft with my kiid. (Heavily USCM inspired
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:41 pm 

Welcome to the world of airsoft!

My recommendation is keep things simple, until you get a better idea of what works and doesn’t, before you start spending a bunch of money on gear.

I definitely recommend kneepads, taking a knee on hard or sharp ground is rough; also if the ground is a little wet or muddy, it will protect your pants from getting wet (especially bad in the winter). I would also recommend gloves to take the sting off of hand hits, and protection from foliage and whatnot. Good eye and facepro is a must!

What replicas are you using?

For outdoor play, I recommend nothing lighter than a .28g bb, for range and to not get blown around by the wind; the extra price is worth it.

If you need any advice, we can probably help you, or point where someone who can will.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:21 am 
THAT guy

Whamhammer wrote:

My recommendation is keep things simple, until you get a better idea of what works and doesn’t, before you start spending a bunch of money on gear.

I definitely recommend kneepads, taking a knee on hard or sharp ground is rough; also if the ground is a little wet or muddy, it will protect your pants from getting wet (especially bad in the winter). I would also recommend gloves to take the sting off of hand hits, and protection from foliage and whatnot. Good eye and facepro is a must!

For outdoor play, I recommend nothing lighter than a .28g bb, for range and to not get blown around by the wind; the extra price is worth it.

If you need any advice, we can probably help you, or point where someone who can will.

Would appear our options are pretty limited for ammo as the field we will play requires you to buy their biodegradable BBs. Not sure if they will have have the 'heavy stuff' but I would like to go .20 or .25 if i can. We have no snipers just at an elaborate m4 and a short barrel AK for now. We are both still feeling things out and will no doubt find our preferences as we go (possibly trading primaries as we go). Sorry to say neither will be a pulse rifle...yet...

All great suggestions above for semi-modern takes on the colonial marine gear. For now I just hope to get through this thing comfortably! I hope my "arid" multicam shirt under the 'woodland' armor conveys the intent, and a little graffiti here and there is all I need to get by. Although, if I decide to stray from my OD cap, I did see an "arid" multicam helmet cover I think I could work up to throw even more screen flair at it. Here's hoping for a smooth first battle is all I can say at this point (battle ETA pending due to weather!).

EDIT: Just realized some gray 'whisps' would add a lot to this 'woodland' pattern! stay tuned for v2.0

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:28 am 
THAT guy

Ttaskmaster wrote:
Scapey wrote:
Nice one!

You could probably get a shoulder lamp fixed to one of the straps quite easily, too.

And if you can find some of these, they'll make for great lower/ab pads...
Attachment:
g_pelvic.jpg

https://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.u ... 28129.html

Spare weapon, anyone? :D

This needed its own post. Not sure where to begin...
You are relling me tactical diapers are real!? I mean, it makes sense. Gotta protect the jewels. This is a bit blowing my mind right now. I'm gonna toss this on the 'idea pile'.
That is crazy tho. On one hand if I were in combat for real I would want this. On the other, I know how hard it is to take a leak at convention with the screen accurate stuff and this seems no better!. Hmmmmm....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:37 am 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
It’s pretty easy, the rear loops on the nappy attach to your belt/plate carrier and then you release the side buckles and the front drops down :)

I have one and it’s saved my knob getting hit a few times at my cqb field :D
Takes a bit of getting used to though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:31 am 

bigbisont wrote:
Whamhammer wrote:

Would appear our options are pretty limited for ammo as the field we will play requires you to buy their biodegradable BBs. Not sure if they will have have the 'heavy stuff' but I would like to go .20 or .25 if i can. We have no snipers just at an elaborate m4 and a short barrel AK for now. We are both still feeling things out and will no doubt find our preferences as we go (possibly trading primaries as we go). Sorry to say neither will be a pulse rifle...yet...

All great suggestions above for semi-modern takes on the colonial marine gear. For now I just hope to get through this thing comfortably! I hope my "arid" multicam shirt under the 'woodland' armor conveys the intent, and a little graffiti here and there is all I need to get by. Although, if I decide to stray from my OD cap, I did see an "arid" multicam helmet cover I think I could work up to throw even more screen flair at it. Here's hoping for a smooth first battle is all I can say at this point (battle ETA pending due to weather!).

EDIT: Just realized some gray 'whisps' would add a lot to this 'woodland' pattern! stay tuned for v2.0

If they are an outdoor field, and they aren't selling higher weight ammo (and requiring you to buy their stuff), they don’t know much on the products they are trading in, and are doing the community a great disservice! A bunch of fields that offer airsoft used to be just paintball fields but now have branched out to running both because its not a difficult add on, but they tend to think that airsoft is just paintball with smaller BB’s, instead of paintballs, and that buying cheap, bulk bb’s is the way to go (biodegradable or not). The whole “must be bb’s from the field” is even a carry over of what paintball fields do as well.

There are tons of biodegradable BB lines that have who lines of different weight BB’s, although for a stockish AEG, I would recommend .28g, maybe .30g. With an upgraded hopup bucking, I would recommend.30-.32g. Odds are, they are selling Valken brand, as Valken has their hands in both paintball and airsoft. The funny thing about the whole wanting biodegradable bb’s and offereng lightweight bb’s is that people are going to need to shoot a lot more BB’s to hit a person with the light stuff, so even lightweight bio-bb’s are going to fill up the field. Heavier weight bb’s will take less hit with, and reduce the amount of BB’s despoted to the soil.

.20’s are pretty much indoor weight bb’s, they will lose a ton of kinetic energy at 100 feet, and shots at/past 150 feet arent going to be very accurate, and likely not felt by most people either.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:55 am 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32151E1
bigbisont wrote:
I know how hard it is to take a leak at convention with the screen accurate stuff and this seems no better!. Hmmmmm....

Your ab pad doesn't have a little buckle on the undercarriage-strap?

Even better, you can now get magnetic buckles for motorbike boots etc. that clip into place as if by magic!
I have a few on the way for the Expanse Belter harnesses I'm making :)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000925900925.html

Props, cosplay pieces, upcycled ornamentation, and miscellanea;
For the discerning survivor of the apocalypse.
Steve Fletcher : Maker, Scavenger, and Junksmith.
linktr.ee/wastelandworkshop