The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: PR Disassemble/Reassemble vid question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:41 pm 
dropship mechanic

Service Number: A12/TQ0.0.62144G1
Greetings all,

My apologies in advance because although I believe this has been asked before, I have not been able to find the specific answer (yes I used search) to what I’m asking for. Is there a video somewhere detailing disassembly of the SW/Matrix PR? I saw another member asked the same question but was referred to the instruction guide that comes with the rifle. I have this as well, and although it is somewhat useful, the translation is a bit awkward and the order of removal/install is odd. Seems to focus a lot on the Thompson, and how to fit it into the PR shrouds. I’m just trying to find out things like if a certain pin is a pain in the posterior to remove, or “watch out for this spring, you’ll shoot your eye out, then lose its retainer in the carpet.” I found one video on YouTube but the camera is about 10 feet away from a guy who seems to be taking apart his rifle next to his recliner. Sorry again if the answer is out there and I just missed it. Oh and the reason for all this is I got the Matrix/Snow Wolf on sale at Evike, but it’s woodland camo, so I’m gonna redo it in the proper Brown Bess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:18 pm 

Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.92142G1
There isn't much info on the shroud in the manual because there really isn't anything to it and looks more daunting than it is.
The only part you really need to be careful of is trying to split the two halfs of the shroud apart as there is way to many roll pins securing it together even after all the screws have been removed.
The best attack for that is long flat tools and very slowly work around the join a bit at a time. Be careful or you will damage and possibly crack the plastic. Sliding a tool down between the gap in the shroud and barrel vent/ stock to get some leverage worked well for me too!

After you crack it open i would suggest removing most of the roll pins with pliers just in case you want to get in there again.

Other than that just take note of where the different parts go and also the screws as there are different sizes for different places!

Post subject: Re: PR Disassemble/Reassemble vid question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:56 pm 
dropship mechanic

Thanks for the response. I took the rifle apart last weekend in about an hour, just taking my time. I found a plastic scraper does really well splitting the shroud halves without damaging them. The ones I used were sort of an ABS material like the ones you get at the hardware store for scraping sealant. Interesting that the glue used looks like the hot-glue variety, not that difficult to remove. Also I discovered that the wire that runs along the back of the rifle near the retractable stock had the insulation worn through from rubbing against the stock as it actuated. So something to look for if you decide to break yours down for paint. Speaking of which, I found a passable (IMHO) substitute for Brown Bess- Tamiya “Khaki Drab” with a few drops of NATO brown gets real close from what I can see. Just put the first coat on the shrouds last night, after priming over the weekend. Will post pics of the results.

Post subject: my matrix
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:03 am 
GarageGeek

looking forward to seeing that! I also just did one.
that barrel does not wanna hold paint and itll scratch to hell putting it back in.
the paint color was "MIG BRITISH 1941-44 SERVICE DRAB", not close to brown bess at all but cool color.
I did a silver spray can undercoat, then clear, then silver again, then the brown. nowadays its gloriously worn to hell will lots of silver showing through naturally.
and heres a picture of the gun layed out if you need it. I sure could have used one. mine sat in various parts boxes for months...

sevens pulse rifle layout.png
sevens pulse rifle layout.png [ 346.84 KiB | Viewed 3003 times ]

sevens matrix pulse rifle.jpg
sevens matrix pulse rifle.jpg [ 510.8 KiB | Viewed 3003 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:29 pm 
dropship mechanic

Nice pics, seven. I appreciate you posting them as a reference. I’m not going to go too far down the rabbit hole with this paint job other than the shrouds and blacking out the vent holes around the GL. I did super glue in some sheet aluminum pieces I had painted black to close up the holes near the back of the barrel shroud as others have done. But after looking at the real and not-real metal bits of the rifle, and the amount of hours involved with getting it right (I turn into a perfectionista when it comes to this kinda stuff), I’m gonna hold off for now on that. Besides, I am probably gonna shoot this a lot and would cry like a 6 year old if I dropped a perfectly painted and weathered rifle in the woods or my driveway. In other news, the third coat of Khaki Drab is on the shrouds and they look not-so-bad. This color is one of those chameleon shades that morphs from gray to green to brown the more I look at it. And it looks nothing like any pics on the interwebs show, or even the cap on the bottle it comes in. I was mixing in NATO brown, but I think that gave it too much of a reddish hue. Gonna shoot a couple coats of Testors flat clear lacquer to protect the finish, and will then post pics of uninstalled shrouds and then completed rifle. Oh, and I found a passable sling to use once I get the mounts- it’s made by Condor and runs about $6US. Will post that as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:27 am 
GarageGeek

I really enjoy experimental shroud colors. One other thing you might wanna do is take some steel wool and metal polish to shotgun bolt, makes a huge difference.its also worth adding an accurate grenade, they can be 3D printed. I have one you can have but its missing the cap. could probably print one if you need it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:16 pm 
dropship mechanic

Yep, already did the GL bolt with steel wool, then some progressively finer sandpaper down to about 1200 grit or so. Forgot to mention that in earlier post. Thinking of clear coating it with Future floor polish as I do sometimes with my kids scale models. Just some insurance against surface corrosion. I thought about putting a better looking “grenade” in the chamber of the launcher, but didn’t see how to get it apart. Looks like the shotgun shell is glued in place and the “bolt” slides around it? Would like to see how to disassemble without breaking anything. Now that I’ve taken it down once, breaking down the PR will be a breeze next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:56 pm 
GarageGeek

i believe i have photos of when i took it apart. i just ripped that shotgun shell out. you just kinda lift the bolt and it slides out the back.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:58 pm 
dropship mechanic

So it’s all back together. I’m attaching pics to try and convey exactly what the color turned out to look like. Since it’s really hard to see color hues real world vs interwebs, I figured if there was something pic for comparison it might help. So one is with rifle laying on my old PT sweatshirt, and the others are with different colors of Tamiya acrylics- olive drab, dark gray, and red brown. Hopefully they will load ok.

435FA3CB-3F76-4E88-8D49-7A7A5F978539.jpeg
435FA3CB-3F76-4E88-8D49-7A7A5F978539.jpeg [ 26.38 KiB | Viewed 2896 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:38 am 
dropship mechanic

Here’s the other shot. Hope it works, having difficulty attaching images.

B1B55E65-9B39-4167-BC06-912F78A7D570.jpeg
B1B55E65-9B39-4167-BC06-912F78A7D570.jpeg [ 113.14 KiB | Viewed 2894 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:51 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
I did these on my youtube. I have a local family friend that has a channel and I will bring this up as a future stream for him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBAJfH_9XMA&t=1441s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSxqv_Rmtfc&t=5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9bAz8FDGkk&t=1s

And I had to fight youtube on full metal jacket playing in the back ground. Hell it was filmed at the same time as aliens so I thought commentary as it played while doing disassembly was a good idea. Allowable under fair use. Not so auto allowable on youtube copy right filters...