The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Has anyone replaced a Snow Wolf lower receiver w/a KA Metal?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:38 am 

Specifically this: King Arms Thompson Metal Lower Receiver
http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/a ... ceiver.htm

On the cybergun snow wolf PR.

anyone done it, anything to be aware of?

thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:09 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
For a few quid more you could just get a metal Thompson

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:57 pm 

88reaper88 wrote:
For a few quid more you could just get a metal Thompson

Where at? The only ones that I have seen available are the plastic lowers.

I really want an all metal with real wood furniture but I havent seen those offered either

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:03 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
A few years back I also had a hard time finding a metal lower. I have had 'metal' Thompson's from Cybergun and KA that all came with plastic lowers. The only place I was able to find a full metal w/wood furniture was one of the special edition chrome ones. I got one a few years back and sold off all the wood and chrome except for the lower and wood grip. I cleaned off the chrome with some scotch-brite then used some etching primer and just painted it black. I do believe mine was king arms as well and it has worked nicely.

The main thing to be aware of is that it pops apart into more pieces. The pivot plate and at least one of the little nubs that are molded into the plastic lower can actually pop out of the metal one. I think they may even just be friction fit. I had to pop those out on mine as they were a dark metal color already and needed to be removed so I could tackle the chrome. Overall fit was identical though. Should be an easy swap.

Attachment:
20151120_112407.jpg
20151120_112407.jpg [ 347.26 KiB | Viewed 7289 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:06 pm 

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.42137E1
I have a King Arms metal lower that I'm adding to a Snow Wolf upper. Everything fits fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:05 am 

Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.92142G1
I have a KA lower to put on a cyma Thompson with a metal upper. Hopefully it fits an im pretty positive it will. They all seem to be a copy of one another!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:28 am 

stimpy wrote:
I have a KA lower to put on a cyma Thompson with a metal upper. Hopefully it fits an im pretty positive it will. They all seem to be a copy of one another!

How much more does the metal lower weigh vs the plastic lower?

Is the magazine release the same dimensions? I bought a real steel replacement from Kohr, and the pivot rod length is a little longer on the real steel; if the AEG metal lower has a little bit longer of a release, I wouldn’t mind adding that, as the metal release on the plastic lower is more fragile than I like. I already replaced a Thompsons sight protector on my M1A1 AEG. I have a wood furniture kit coming in for that puppy, and I am trying to make the gun top notch for WWII reinactments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:56 pm 

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.42137E1
I'd be interested in knowing about the mag catch as well. That is part on Airsoft Thompsons that is notorious for breaking.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:50 pm 

Erik_MAA wrote:
I'd be interested in knowing about the mag catch as well. That is part on Airsoft Thompsons that is notorious for breaking.

The mag catch, and the outer barrel, and the sight protector ears, and the selector switch knob base, and the butt stock end door spring assembly and.....

Did one ever get the impression that someone should make a sturdy Thompson replica?

They are still one pf the better shooting AEG platforms though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:29 pm 

Erik_MAA wrote:
I have a King Arms metal lower that I'm adding to a Snow Wolf upper. Everything fits fine.

I read some posts via google where people say you need to dremel or file down a lot of the internal of the KA metal lower receiver to get the gearbox to fit in properly, did you have any issues like that or is it a straight swap from the plastic snow wolf receiver?

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:00 am 

paradoxum wrote:
Erik_MAA wrote:

I read some posts via google where people say you need to dremel or file down a lot of the internal of the KA metal lower receiver to get the gearbox to fit in properly, did you have any issues like that or is it a straight swap from the plastic snow wolf receiver?

I dont know why one would have to dremel a KA metal lower, the V6 gearboxes used for CYMA, KA, and Snow Wolf are dimensionally the same as the TM. The only thing that I can think of is if someone was to put the wiring to the motor in wrong, and then it may not fit correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:10 pm 

What about this set?

https://airsoft.tiger111hk.com/p21009/K ... Kit(Silver)/product_info.html

I can see from the pics that some of the upper set will need sawn off, like the bits sticking up on the back of the upper receiver part, but could I buy this set and drop the gearbox I've upgraded into it and fit this inside a snow wolf shell? it's about £100 shipped to the uk. I'm not a huge fan of the chrome plating but I can probably weather that and make it look nice.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:18 pm 

paradoxum wrote:
What about this set?

I can see from the pics that some of the upper set will need sawn off, like the bits sticking up on the back of the upper receiver part, but could I buy this set and drop the gearbox I've upgraded into it and fit this inside a snow wolf shell? it's about £100 shipped to the uk. I'm not a huge fan of the chrome plating but I can probably weather that and make it look nice.

Like I said in the other page, go straight to King Arms and ask them about a black metal lower. If you are going to blow 100 quid on a part, get the right one, all the work you are going to have to do to make the silver lower not look like garbage on the gun isnt worth the time/effort, especially if it doesn't work right.

Other than the fact that we know its a Thompson under the body kit, there is no reason to believe that a “real” M41 wouldn’t have a plastic lower; look at the SCAR, FAMAS, and other mordernish rifles that have a plastic (if not all body) lowers.

I think that you are running yourself down a rabit-hole, and may just end up getting frustrated.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:34 pm 

Whamhammer wrote:
paradoxum wrote:
What about this set?

Like I said in the other page, go straight to King Arms and ask them about a black metal lower. If you are going to blow 100 quid on a part, get the right one, all the work you are going to have to do to make the silver lower not look like garbage on the gun isnt worth the time/effort, especially if it doesn't work right.

Other than the fact that we know its a Thompson under the body kit, there is no reason to believe that a “real” M41 wouldn’t have a plastic lower; look at the SCAR, FAMAS, and other mordernish rifles that have a plastic (if not all body) lowers.

I think that you are running yourself down a rabit-hole, and may just end up getting frustrated.

so you can buy directly from them? I didn't know that

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:26 am 

paradoxum wrote:
Whamhammer wrote:
paradoxum wrote:
What about this set?

so you can buy directly from them? I didn't know that

Yup, if you have Facebook Messenger, you can even message straight to them, and they will respond to you, I just bought a full M1A1 wood furniture kit , M1A1 outer barrel, mag catch, and a bunch of other smaller stuff from them for $220.00 USD, including shipping and PayPal expedited payment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:03 pm 

what do you guys think about using this for a shell launcher?
https://www.wgcshop.com/collections/gre ... ier-yellow

it's small enough to fit in there although you might have to mount it upside down so you can reload it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:48 pm 

paradoxum wrote:

it's small enough to fit in there although you might have to mount it upside down so you can reload it.

I dont think you will be able to reload that, without taking the whole thing out, or removing one side of the SPAS cage.

I have been looking at the item below, and rigging it up to an internally mounted Pic’ rail, and making a “body plug” that I can remove to screw in/screw out the retainer, to pop the unit out for reloads.

https://www.evike.com/products/65570/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:01 am 

Whamhammer wrote:
paradoxum wrote:

I dont think you will be able to reload that, without taking the whole thing out, or removing one side of the SPAS cage.

I have been looking at the item below, and rigging it up to an internally mounted Pic’ rail, and making a “body plug” that I can remove to screw in/screw out the retainer, to pop the unit out for reloads.

https://www.evike.com/products/65570/

I was thinking with the shotshell unit, you could mount it upside down on the interior of the spas cage, and use a dremel to cut a hole out the bottom of the spas cage where the grip slides up and down (you might have to fix the grip so it stays forward, although for me that's the most comfortable firing position with the stock pulled out 1 click.) and have a hole down there. maybe you could even take out the bit of plastic on the rear down there and use that, but you'd have to have the thing mounted quite far back, at which point the BBs might not make it out of the gun unless you affixed it to some plastic barrel.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:02 am 

Whamhammer wrote:

Yup, if you have Facebook Messenger, you can even message straight to them, and they will respond to you, I just bought a full M1A1 wood furniture kit , M1A1 outer barrel, mag catch, and a bunch of other smaller stuff from them for $220.00 USD, including shipping and PayPal expedited payment.

do you happen to know anywhere you can direct order cybergun parts or even complete guns from? I'm really after a cybergun P226 (my last one broke but it was a solid gun) but they're out of stock in most places I can find.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:00 pm 

paradoxum wrote:
Whamhammer wrote:

do you happen to know anywhere you can direct order cybergun parts or even complete guns from? I'm really after a cybergun P226 (my last one broke but it was a solid gun) but they're out of stock in most places I can find.

I don’t know anything about Cyberguns customer support; most of what I know of them is that they tend to hold a license plate with real steel manufacturer’s , and act as a distributor for the real makers of airsoft gun producers (like they do with Thompsons with CYMA and King Arms).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:52 pm 

I see. so I would want to look at sig saur since that's on the slide?

I took some more pics just now of the pulse rifle after taking it out in the yarg and plinking targets - finally accurate and fully upgraded.

https://imgur.com/a/1f74kOC