The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Resin/ Aluminum shroud on Snow Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:38 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.52161G1
Has anyone tried putting an HCG or Matsuo shroud on a Snow Wolf before? I’m not sure if it would fit but I’m considering it as an option for my wall hanger project so I could have the metal mag base and the proper rear of the shroud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:44 pm 

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.42137E1
I have a screen-accurate shroud by another maker (unknown tbh) and it will fit on a Matrix. In fact, one of my to-do projects is to replace the resin Thompson in this gun with the metal Matrix body.

Not sure about the others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:56 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
I did the opposite actually. I put matrix shrouds on an HCG foundation (resin thompson and GL). I had to shorten height on the Matrix shrouds because the they are taller. I believe they did that because the snow wolf/Matrix GL sits lower and needs the taller shrouds to account for the gap.

I would imagine you would need to figure out how to raise the GL closer to the thompson barrel if you wanted to use the aluminum HCG shrouds. You would also lose locking function of the stock because the locking mechanism is build into a bulky and hollow area on the matrix shrouds. The HCG wil be solid metal and lower profile. You will def need to put some work to make it work, but I am sure it can be done.

Again, all these pics are "reverse" of your plan, but they do illustrate how the Matrix is overall Taller than the HCG and you will need to account for the height difference in fit-up.
See the gap here (shrouds build for a lower set GL)
Attachment:
20150608_191125.jpg
20150608_191125.jpg [ 161.96 KiB | Viewed 1971 times ]

To fix that, I just deleted the excess material in the counter area to bring the shrouds 'up'. In your case, you'd have to move the grenade launcher up to fit the HCG.
Attachment:
20150608_191041.jpg
20150608_191041.jpg [ 334.78 KiB | Viewed 1971 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:13 pm 

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.42137E1
bigbisont brings up a good point.

The Matrix shroud is going to be wider than screen used, and may not fit the GL correctly. I hadn't noticed this because my hero gun has a plastic (airsoft) SPAS cage and resin shotgun vs. the Matrix's proprietary GL setup. I have only been looking at the Thompson.

The Matrix shroud is also wider. I have another project where I'm mating up a Matrix GL to a Spulse kit, and I've had to modify the magwell to make it wide enough. The Spulse, closer to screen accurate, it too narrow to just put the GL up against it. You might run into a similar problem transferring an HGC shroud to a Matrix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:38 pm 

Huh. That's why I was wondering, as I saw Bison's post about it some days ago. It would probably be too short, but we'll see. I'll have to look into it further after I finish everything else. Perhaps the rear shroud mod is the way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:00 pm 

Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.92142G1
I modified my snow wolf rear shroud, it was a bit of a challenge but not to bad overall, if you are going to round it off then you might as well extend it too as the snow wolf should be a little longer to be accurate.
After that is done you can do a stock mod to allow the stock to slide due to a long allen key bolt and the correct size spring which is pressed from underneath. I need to update my build with more resent pictures of the work i have done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:21 pm 

I saw yours. Nice work! The only issue I seem to have though when looking is how to go about it. Did you use a PVC pipe with epoxy to get the round shape?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:31 pm 

Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.92142G1
Yes i did. Its been screwed with counter sunk screws and glued but if i knew what i know now i would have used styrene and solvent welded all the new rounded block then glued an screwed in place. Will need some filer to smooth it all out after.