The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Another New Guy Upgrading his Pulse Rifle...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:20 am 

Hi All,

I’m planning to do some upgrading to my Snow Wolf/Matrix pulse rifle. I’ve been reading through the board for awhile - loving seeing all the great upgrades people have done! - but there’s still a few things I have questions about/would love to know what the current “state of the art” is.

1) It looks like PVB’s assembly guide is offline. Is there anywhere else that is a reliable one stop shop for how to disassemble/reassemble the rifle?
2) I want to replace the grenade. Are Spat’s the way to go, or is there another option? (Specifically I’m looking for somewhere with a better cost to ship to Canada.)
3) Does anyone offer a replacement for the front triangle, with a built in loop to hook the sling onto? (And also, how functional are the slings once attached? Can they carry the weight of the rifle or is it mostly aesthetic?)

Thanks!

Jock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:18 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
State of the Bad Ass Art:

Member "Matsuo" does the metal stock and barrel vent/triangles with sling loops, he is the best person to get metal parts from

Speaking of slings, you can contact member "Noble" and sneak into his current sling run. Excellent screen accurate quality. I'm in for my 3rd sling!

Spat has really nice grenades that can be buffed to shine like metal, and his shipping is reasonable. He also offers BDUs and non-metal armour. I'm personally itching for a set of BDUs from him myself.

Member "Armourer" offers Franchi SPAS handgaurd/slide combos but check with "SGM. Baldwin" on Canadian import laws regarding real parts, I haven't pursued this myself, yet.

Once you have a few more posts the "Base PX" subforum will be open to you, thats where you find item runs, and parts for sale/trade :delta:

All pricing/sales talk should be done in the PX. "PVB" is around here somewhere, you can probobly PM him regarding the guide.

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:30 am 

Thanks Moosh!

I've actually been in touch with Matsuo already. He does the full barrel vent/triangle part, but I was hoping to find JUST the front triangle. I'm happy with the rest of the barrel vent... (I'm not going for 100% screen accuracy, and I figure the less stuff I replace the better. I'm on a bit of a budget...)

I'll drop Noble a line about the sling.

I agree that Spat's shipping isn't unreasonable, it's just that old $16 shipping for a $7 item conundrum. Gets me thinking things like, "hey, I should order a dozen, and a set of armor while I'm at it" that leads to things adding up fast. That said, I'll probably end up going with one of his.

As for the other parts, I don't think I'm going to modify that extensively. I basically just plan to repaint, replace the grenade, and add a sling (for now...)

Thanks!

Jock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:48 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Gotcha, I ran into that issue today on eBay... item was $12 CAD, shipping was $30! Tried to work it out with the seller, no luck.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I'm excited to see your build progress, This side of the forum is a little slower paced than the Ready Line. It will be nice to see you bring more traffic this way

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject: Re: Another New Guy Upgrading his Pulse Rifle...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:32 am 

JockThePilot wrote:
Does anyone offer a replacement for the front triangle, with a built in loop to hook the sling onto?

SD Studios sells replacement parts on eBay. They have a replacement triangle for $28. Search for "ALIENS Pulse Rifle Steel Barrel Support Triangle" there. They also sell grenades, I have one and it's good quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:54 am 

Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.92142G1
Hi welcome to the forum. I will also recommend sd studios. As mentiond he sells barrel vents and triangles on ebay a well as other parts.
One thing i will mention is that the light gate for the ammo counter is contained in the snow wolfs triangle. So if you change it you will lose that function! That might not bother you though but its something i wanted to keep on mine when building it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:22 am 

Moosh89 wrote:
Gotcha, I ran into that issue today on eBay... item was $12 CAD, shipping was $30! Tried to work it out with the seller, no luck.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I'm excited to see your build progress, This side of the forum is a little slower paced than the Ready Line. It will be nice to see you bring more traffic this way

You've been tons of help! I appreciate the warm welcome... (and the commiseration about the hassle of shipping to Canada.)

Rob wrote:
SD Studios sells replacement parts on eBay. They have a replacement triangle for $28. Search for "ALIENS Pulse Rifle Steel Barrel Support Triangle" there. They also sell grenades, I have one and it's good quality.

That sounds great! I will look into his stuff right now. Thanks for the tip! This forum membership has paid for itself already... ;)

stimpy wrote:
the light gate for the ammo counter is contained in the snow wolfs triangle. So if you change it you will lose that function! That might not bother you though but its something i wanted to keep on mine when building it

I had read that somewhere, but I appreciate the heads up. I don't plan on putting a lot of BBs through mine, so losing the countdown function isn't the end of the world for me. (At some point I may actually upgrade to the kind that counts down automatically when you pull the trigger.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:31 pm 
Got a big ass gun and a can-do attitude

If your not going for completely screen accurate and are happy about losing the counter, you can drill out the triangle you already have fitted. I have done this on mine and it was really easy to do with a dremel and vice and looks pretty good when done.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:06 am 
You tell me man, I only work here.

The existing barrel is more like a thompson (correct diameter)

SD studio barrel is way too small.

Also, the barrel vent and triangle were always one piece. (all variations)

SD is a mix of aluminum and steel in 2 pieces.

Currently no one is offering accurate stocks and vents.

Personally, I would keep the existing barrel before going with an SD.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:33 am 

Hmmmm... I think I will stick with my existing barrel and vent setup, at least for now. That was I can just clip the sling to the vent (like on the Hicks gun) and not worry about replacing too many parts.

Would the vent be good for bearing the weight of the sling, or is it best for it to be a cosmetic thing only?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:49 am 

The snow wolf can handle a sling attached to the vent an stock no problem!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:59 am 

stimpy wrote:
The snow wolf can handle a sling attached to the vent an stock no problem!

Sweet! Good to know!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:39 pm 

So I've been plugging away at this slowly but surely. If anyone is interested in following along you can check out my Instagram: @ACKprojects

I just received my Spat Grenades so I've been working on sanding them and putting in some custom primers on the bases.

Now here's my question: should the grenade that goes inside the launcher on the Pulse Rifle have its red cap on or off? My instinct is that it should be off, but I can't find any photo evidence either way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:40 pm 
Got a big ass gun and a can-do attitude

Would imagine that the safety cap would remain on as the undertube mag holds multiple grenades one behind the other and if you remove the safety cap and push in the second grenade it would go off. On the high explosive shells I have dealt with in the past the cap would collapse on impact resulting in the detonation of the grenade/shell.
Also always a weird one as all the movie grenades I have seen feature a percussion cap on their base suggesting when fired an empty casing would remain and the grenade would go down range but in the movie there is no ejected empty case as I have noticed, any ideas?

Don't worry about my HE experience i was in the army!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:29 pm 

Hey Shelby - thanks for the tip! I was messing around with it yesterday and I think it will look best with the cap on... so I'm glad to hear that that would jive with how real world grenades would work.

Quote:
Also always a weird one as all the movie grenades I have seen feature a percussion cap on their base suggesting when fired an empty casing would remain and the grenade would go down range but in the movie there is no ejected empty case as I have noticed, any ideas?

I've had the same thought. Do we ever see anyone pump the grenade launcher during actual combat in the movies? I know they fire them, but maybe we just never happen to see the casing eject?

In other news, if anyone was planning to follow along my build on Instagram, my account was removed last night. Apparently for copyright violations, although I can't imagine what they would have been... Oh well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:30 am 

Just thought I'd post some pics now that I'm done the whole repaint process. I ended up using Tamiya "Olive Drab 2" over a rattle can silver coat (with some serious clear coat inbetween) and then sanding it back to give it a bit of weathering. I was just thinking today that I might do some washes to add a bit of grime too.

Just waiting my turn for a new strap from Noble to complete the look.

"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

The new grenade care of Spat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:37 am 
Mobile Mayhem

A true beauty to behold!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:01 am 

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:22 am 
GarageGeek

I see the triangle barrel piece on ebay all the time, also the rifle originally came with a full manuel with disassembly instructions. you could probably contact evike about getting one. and I think they even have a PDF of the manual

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:46 am 

Service Number: A02/TQ0.0.52138E2
seven wrote:
I see the triangle barrel piece on ebay all the time, also the rifle originally came with a full manuel with disassembly instructions. you could probably contact evike about getting one. and I think they even have a PDF of the manual

https://www.evike.com/products/38674/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:28 pm 

Service Number: A07/TQ2.0.02136G1
How unique is the sling? Does it need to be a certain style?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:17 am 

The correct sling is unique yes. Noble sells great replica slings in the px section.