The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: pulse rifle project (UPDATED)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:34 am 

Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.92142G1
Hey there fellow marines. so ive been working on a new pulse rifle project for the last few months and as its finally finished I thought I would make a little thread about the build. Ive had a snow wolf pulse rifle for a few years now and while its a good gun I wanted something a bit more accurate with a working grenade launcher. Seeing as I also have a pps m870 shotgun I thought I would have a look to see if it was possible to put the shotgun inside the gl cage. Feeling confident my plan would work and my measurements where correct I bought a new Thompson aeg and a snow wolf pulse rifle kit.
sorry about the poor picture quality.

After everything arrived I stripped the shotgun down, dremmeled all the plastic from inside the cage and placed the shotgun in.

Attachment:
fit.jpg
fit.jpg [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 21061 times ]

Attachment:
20161214_210545 (800x450).jpg
20161214_210545 (800x450).jpg [ 292.23 KiB | Viewed 21061 times ]

Nice fit but a bit long!

Attachment:
test.jpg
test.jpg [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 21061 times ]

Now to cut the shotgun down to size and dremmel out the plastic shroud for the trigger and trigger guard. This part I was dreading the most out of the whole project. measure twice cut once!

Attachment:
cut.jpg
cut.jpg [ 812.84 KiB | Viewed 21061 times ]

the very rear part of the m870 had to be filed down and a small section of plastic removed on the plastic cover for the led display to be able to push the m870 back far enough but I'm happy with its position now.

The next job was to modify the gl cage to make it a bit more accurate. I drilled out all the slots leaving the two rear slots as they were to be filled Using jb weld.

Attachment:
drilled n filled.jpg
drilled n filled.jpg [ 938.98 KiB | Viewed 21061 times ]

PLEASE NOTE THE PULSE RIFLE BUILD NOW CONTINUES AFTER THE COMMENTS BELOW!

Last edited by stimpy on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:47 am 

Sigh, such a thing of beauty. Loved reading every line of this thread. Thanks for sharing and youve done a lovely job mate. Well done!

Regards
T
A
Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:27 pm 

Thanks taz. Its the first time ive ever attempted anything quite like this so im really amazed with how it turned out. Its definitely got what my other snow wolf pr was missing.

Post subject: Re: pulse rifle project (pic heavy)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:28 am 

Wow :o Absolutely fantastic work! I have questions! :)

Can you tell me where you sourced the tiny lipo batteries for the main and counter circuits you're using as I've not found any airsoft suppliers with packs that small? I tried wiring my counter into the main circuit which worked ok until you live fired, at which point the voltage spikes played havoc with it! Reluctantly I had to change it back to a 9v but you seem to have found a good alternative.

Also, I like the idea of the charging hole under the side plate it's a stroke of genius! How does it work in practice though as it's not a very big hole? Do you have room to feed the charging and balance lead out the side when it comes to charging up?

I'm going to be adding a working GL also but I'm going about it in a different way- a mini moscart with 3D parts from Noble. I did think about trying to shoehorn a shotgun in but the extra cost and fear of ruining the m870 put me off somewhat, so fair play to you for a job well done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:12 am 

Thanks damster! The display seems to run fine, no problems at all. Ive only put 1 half a high cap about 100 bbs through though. The battery i used is this one on ebay 221951914488 i just soldered a new connector on the pr wiring. I had to cut a hole in the wall of the battery compartment and have it running at a 45 degree angle to get it to fit still and made up a base to hold it and the wiring in place. You can see what i mean in one of the pics.

The ports behind the side plates work ok. The charger side has a 200mm extention lead added to the battery for easier charging.
The other side is the mini tamya connection which is a bit more fiddly with fingers but with long nose pliers its no problem at all. It was the only route i could think of if i was going to have an internal battery!
Ill add a few more pictures for you this evening if you want?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:41 am 

Sorry i just re read your post! The link to the mini lipo was used for the display only and the thompson battey is an 11.1v crane stock battery that is split into 3.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:15 am 

Ah I see! More pics would be great although I'm not sure I have enough space for a crane stock battery as I've got a Mosfet fitted in that location. Thanks for the link for the counter battery. I really have to get that sorted as a 9V battery poking out the magwell ruins the look and it's vulnerable when airsofting during mag changes etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:21 pm 

Heres a few more pictures as promised. Showing both the pr battery connection , charging cable ports and the battery for the display. Unfortunately i dont have anymore of the insides.
I have also put 2 mags of 200 bbs each through it this evening and the counter hasn't stuttered once!

20170306_194011.jpg
20170306_194011.jpg [ 866.28 KiB | Viewed 23031 times ]

20170306_193904.jpg
20170306_193904.jpg [ 739.57 KiB | Viewed 23031 times ]

20170306_193652.jpg
20170306_193652.jpg [ 887.08 KiB | Viewed 23031 times ]

20170306_193401.jpg
20170306_193401.jpg [ 936.03 KiB | Viewed 23031 times ]

20170306_193108.jpg
20170306_193108.jpg [ 900.12 KiB | Viewed 23031 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:53 am 
Veni, vidi, bibi cerevisia

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.52130E1
Very cool build! :like: That's a LOT of work, knowing how much of a pain it can be to just take apart one of those Snow Wolf PRs. :)

Just out of curiosity did you just use standard 2-part J-B Weld? Have you tried their Epoxy Putty? I like it and I've used it on a number of projects to be able to easily do fills and build-ups, but it does have a short working time, only a few minutes before it starts to set hard.

As to the battery for the display counter, another idea would to be use a stack of three CR2025 or CR2032 coin batteries. That would give you 9 volts @ 165 mAh or 220 mAh, with dimenstions of 20 mm (diameter) X 7.5 mm or 9.6 mm respectively. It won't last as long obviously but it won't take up much space.

-scoff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:58 am 

Thanks alot scoffman! Im pretty proud of what i have achieved :D I stripped my old snow wolf to do a few light mods and a repaint and that was something i really didnt want to do again so bought this one in kit form which was really hard to track down. Ive only used two roll pins in this one so it should come apart pretty easy if it needs too be.

Im pretty sure its just the standard black and white two part glue that i used. Im a bit of a novice when it comes to jobs like that but ill keep the putty in mind for next time!

I didnt think about those batterys. That may of been an even better route to go down. Ill see how i get on with this lipo. I like that this battery is rechargable which is great for when when i accidently leave it on all day :roll: it can always be swapped to the watch batterys at a later date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:40 pm 

Holy crap. That is a thing of beauty! I'd love to do something like that myself but I just don't have the know-how.

What Thompson did you put inside her? How does she perform as a skirmish piece?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:39 pm 

Thanks corp hicks. Im glad she getting some love! Its my first go at something of this scale so i wasn't even sure if i could do it. i had a few ideas in my head about how i would do certain parts, the rest i made up as i went :D.

Its a cyma thompson. Would like a full metal kings arms one day but they are quite hard to find and pretty pricey

I have only just finished really so haven't skirmished her yet. I will do soon but she is more of a display peice with the odd skirmish here an there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:05 pm 

Thanks for the pics I understand it a bit better now :) It's a good idea but I may end up with the battery in the GL on mine. I keep meaning to start a thread for mine but it won't be all that impressive after your build!

I've just noticed you've changed the front vent to different one- How have you attached this, is it bolted through the spas cage like the original?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:36 am 

Yeah i have glued 4 3mm steel pads in the gl top with holes tapped out to 3mm which the vent and also the sling bracket is bolted too. That way it can hopefully be carried by a sling as the new aluminium vent would never have coped having the gun hanging from it!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:30 am 

Sounds quite sturdy! I thought about changing mine or maybe just sliding the existing one forward a bit. I take it your new vent is a fair bit thinner than the snow wolf one then? Is it an SD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:37 am 

Its thinner and aluminium so it bends real easy. Its sd studios yeah. Ive always had a bit of an issue with the standard one being to narrow and not long enough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:37 pm 

Service Number: A12/TQ0.0.52149E1
Hi is there any chance you could put up more detailed pics and dimensions of the shotgun mountings as I would love to build this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:21 am 

Oooo....the pics are magically reappearing! My PR will be here Wednesday and I ordered a PPS M870 from Hong Kong today. Only place I could find the darn thing in stock at a reasonable price. Thanks, stimpy! This is going to be such a huge help to me!

Post subject: PULSE RIFLE BUILD CONTINUED
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:52 pm 

The original pump grip slot was also filled and smoothed using more jb weld (fantastic stuff).

Attachment:
fill.jpg
fill.jpg [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 20833 times ]

The shell ejection port had to be moved back around 10mm as it didn't line up with the shotgun to well. you guessed it more jb weld! Also extended the slot in underneath for the much bigger loading ramp on the shotgun.

Attachment:
port 2.jpg
port 2.jpg [ 941.05 KiB | Viewed 20833 times ]

A quick test fit and comparison next to my old snow wolf.

Attachment:
test old n new.jpg
test old n new.jpg [ 780.36 KiB | Viewed 20833 times ]

Attachment:
test fit bottom.jpg
test fit bottom.jpg [ 807.99 KiB | Viewed 20833 times ]

Attachment:
test fit 2.jpg
test fit 2.jpg [ 783.77 KiB | Viewed 20833 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:00 pm 

I then had to tackle the job of making a bracket to connect the shotgun to the Thompson. luckily I found a perfect aluminium block in the scrap bin at work.

Attachment:
bracket.jpg
bracket.jpg [ 568.68 KiB | Viewed 20833 times ]

after a few hours of cutting ,filing, drilling and tapping I had the two guns connected together.

Attachment:
bracket fitted.jpg
bracket fitted.jpg [ 534.17 KiB | Viewed 20833 times ]

A square of 3mm plate was drilled and tapped onto the pump arm of the shotgun and the slot for the pump grip was added in the correct place.

Attachment:
cage slot.jpg
cage slot.jpg [ 728.75 KiB | Viewed 20833 times ]

An aluminium plate was made cut and recess was dremmeled into the pump grip. Also a 5mm aluminium strip was added under the pump grip for the spacer. Then a pilot drill was drilled down through the pump grip to the 3mm plate on the shotgun. The holes where then tapped and the pump grip bolted into place.

Attachment:
handguard cut.jpg
handguard cut.jpg [ 691.98 KiB | Viewed 20833 times ]

Attachment:
handguard plate.jpg
handguard plate.jpg [ 779.64 KiB | Viewed 20833 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:07 pm 

Replaced the black plastic bolt for a more accurate aluminium bolt, installed a metal hammer and sear set and trimmed the pump grip for the larger ejection port.

Attachment:
alu bolt and sd studios vent.jpg
alu bolt and sd studios vent.jpg [ 613.44 KiB | Viewed 20832 times ]

time for paint! a silver base coat was put on first and lacquered over ready for some wear and tear later on

Attachment:
cage paint.jpg
cage paint.jpg [ 940.04 KiB | Viewed 20833 times ]

adding chips and scratches with maskol

Attachment:
silver shroud.jpg
silver shroud.jpg [ 717.11 KiB | Viewed 20833 times ]

an sd studios barrel vent, painted and weathered ready to go

Attachment:
black vent.jpg
black vent.jpg [ 651.12 KiB | Viewed 20833 times ]

sling hooks were made from wire rope clamps and attached to 3mm plate to fit inside the barrel vent.

Attachment:
sling rings.jpg
sling rings.jpg [ 1022.71 KiB | Viewed 20833 times ]

Last edited by stimpy on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:15 pm 

Sling bracket

Attachment:
sling bkt.jpg
sling bkt.jpg [ 750.59 KiB | Viewed 20833 times ]

Attachment:
sling bkt n vent.jpg
sling bkt n vent.jpg [ 683.5 KiB | Viewed 20833 times ]

we have power! the display now runs off a 7.4v mini lipo.Red film added to the display window and the shrouds have been painted with ral 7013 made up by local paint shop. not quite bess brown but I'm happy with it! A little black pigment has been rubbed over it to dirty it up followed buy satin lacquer. The cut out in the shroud is where the lipo for the thompson is charged from. The side plate screws on to there to hide everything from sight.

Attachment:
power n paint.jpg
power n paint.jpg [ 950.82 KiB | Viewed 20833 times ]

Grub screws added to grenade block.

Attachment:
gl block.jpg
gl block.jpg [ 749.69 KiB | Viewed 20833 times ]

Final assembly, fake allen key bolt drilled out of grenade block and replaced with a real bolt which screws into the shotgun shell tube end cap.

Attachment:
close.jpg
close.jpg [ 800.71 KiB | Viewed 20833 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:52 pm 

My new personal friend is finished!

Attachment:
image-2017-08-23.jpg
image-2017-08-23.jpg [ 42.21 KiB | Viewed 20830 times ]

Attachment:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 38.16 KiB | Viewed 20830 times ]

Attachment:
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 39.67 KiB | Viewed 20830 times ]

Attachment:
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 42.66 KiB | Viewed 20830 times ]

Attachment:
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 46.59 KiB | Viewed 20830 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:33 am 

Fantastic work! Thanks for getting all the pics updated. This is going to be a huge help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:18 am 

No problem. Hope it helps. I have somehow managed to miss out the part with the internal battery in the shroud. As the gun is stripped down again for more work i can take more pics if need be.