The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:12 pm 
GarageGeek

this looks great, im taking notes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:07 pm 
Mercenary

Very nice work, thanks for charing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:44 am 

Stimpy, if you should ever decided to craft a shotgun assembly, for drop in, I would love to get a quote on that.

Have you ever used the shotgun in a skirmish?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:45 pm 

stimpy wrote:
Heres a few more pictures as promised. Showing both the pr battery connection , charging cable ports and the battery for the display. Unfortunately i dont have anymore of the insides.
I have also put 2 mags of 200 bbs each through it this evening and the counter hasn't stuttered once!

Thanks for the detailed info. Ordered one of those small batteries for the counter and plan to fit it like you have because I don't like how the 9v sticks out the bottom either - could you give more details on how you hooked it up to the wiring for the 9v, it looks like you just chopped the 9v connector off and spliced the wires to a Mini-JST connector to plug into the battery, and an extension cable for the JST-XH cable for charging it without having to remove it?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:02 am 

paradoxum wrote:
stimpy wrote:
Heres a few more pictures as promised. Showing both the pr battery connection , charging cable ports and the battery for the display. Unfortunately i dont have anymore of the insides.
I have also put 2 mags of 200 bbs each through it this evening and the counter hasn't stuttered once!

Thanks for the detailed info. Ordered one of those small batteries for the counter and plan to fit it like you have because I don't like how the 9v sticks out the bottom either - could you give more details on how you hooked it up to the wiring for the 9v, it looks like you just chopped the 9v connector off and spliced the wires to a Mini-JST connector to plug into the battery, and an extension cable for the JST-XH cable for charging it without having to remove it?

Thanks

My main concern with that set up is that its very hard to inspect/replace batteries. LiPos can swell when they start to go bad and LiPos can also catch fire in the worst situations, and without proper inspections there is no way to be positive that its not at risk.

NiMHs are bulkier and can have memory issues, necessitating replacement, requiring cracking the whole thing open.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:25 pm 

Any better solution for the ammo counter? Do they make half-sized 9v batteries? ( going to google it in a min ) I saw someone mention that they can use a stack of flat watch batteries to power it but it doesn't last long. What about a CR123 battery just shoved up in the 9v compartment with some custom contacts for it? Could just split the 9v connector and tape them around the battery.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:41 am 

Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.92142G1
[/quote]My main concern with that set up is that its very hard to inspect/replace batteries. LiPos can swell when they start to go bad and LiPos can also catch fire in the worst situations, and without proper inspections there is no way to be positive that its not at risk.

NiMHs are bulkier and can have memory issues, necessitating replacement, requiring cracking the whole thing open.[/quote]

Its the best idea i could come up with to keep the battery hidden seeing as the battery compartment now has a shotgun in im very short on space! Having the battery exposed in a sling harness or peq box ect just wasnt an option for me as the plan was to get the snow wolf looking more movie accurate so that would of defeated the object.

Its not ideal but I've never had an issue with lipos an ive used them for years! Also splitting the gun is fairly simple really, ive done it so many times now and ive removed most of the roll pins which are overkill tbh.
The pulse rifle needs to be opened up again soon as i have more mods to do, i now have a genuine spas 12 cage to fit!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:31 pm 

[quote="Stimpy”]
Its the best idea i could come up with to keep the battery hidden seeing as the battery compartment now has a shotgun in im very short on space! Having the battery exposed in a sling harness or peq box ect just wasnt an option for me as the plan was to get the snow wolf looking more movie accurate so that would of defeated the object.

Its not ideal but I've never had an issue with lipos an ive used them for years! Also splitting the gun is fairly simple really, ive done it so many times now and ive removed most of the roll pins which are overkill tbh.

The pulse rifle needs to be opened up again soon as i have more mods to do, i now have a genuine spas 12 cage to fit![/quote]

I know where you are coming from, it comes down to is the gun a real skirmisher or not, if it is, the battery, fuse, mosfet (at least in my case) and other components need to be easily accessible or serviceable without removing the shroud. If its a curio, then its a different story.

I think the Blomkamp Pulse Rifle should be a close to canon as just about anything on the lines of the Colonial Marines game, and as long a PEQ boxes and optics are put on tastefully and look like they belong there. When Aliens came out we had been 20 years into the M16, and the current M4 along with its added on optics and PEQ boxes are an evolution of the basic firearm in its most simple role; I could easily see some mission profiles proving for add on gear to support the mission. I wouldn't go as far as to put a mock suppressor or a hunting rifle scope on though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:56 am 

I've created a monster.

https://imgur.com/a/YL53Mi9

Still planning to bolt a rail to the carry handle and put some optics on there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:52 pm 

paradoxum wrote:
I've created a monster.

https://imgur.com/a/YL53Mi9

Still planning to bolt a rail to the carry handle and put some optics on there.

I think you have too much on the front there:

- The PR is very well balanced to the rear (good for airsoft) all that stuff would be throwing that balance
Off, plus its too much gear to be turning on/off.

- I don't see the need for a green AND a red laser, once you have an optic on oard most of the opportunities to use them wont even show up anymore. I am in doubt that you will use/have access to NVG, so the best use for a laser is gone right there.

- Does the PEQ have a flashlight? If so, I would just stick with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:16 pm 

The green laser will definitely be swapped for a red one because you can't play with greens, I just though it looked nice for the photo-op.

And yeah it is too much and the lasers do not align anywhere near the bullets actually go - I'm hoping a laser I can add to the carry handle rail will be able to align properly.

I've got two peq boxes, the black one is a simple laser+empty battery box, and a decent £50 replica one with flashlight/IR/laser and I can plug it into my push-button switch with the torch.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:11 pm 

paradoxum wrote:
The green laser will definitely be swapped for a red one because you can't play with greens, I just though it looked nice for the photo-op.

And yeah it is too much and the lasers do not align anywhere near the bullets actually go - I'm hoping a laser I can add to the carry handle rail will be able to align properly.

I've got two peq boxes, the black one is a simple laser+empty battery box, and a decent £50 replica one with flashlight/IR/laser and I can plug it into my push-button switch with the torch.

I would keep the one with a flashlight just because you might actually use a flashlight, the only thing that I’ve seen naked eye visible lasers good for is giving away your position and making a target of ones self. I’ve only seen one or two night ops were we had a scout with NVG that used a green laser to paint the area that we needed to suppress but he was so buried in cover and no one bothered to get at him.

Trust me on this, you will not even want a light once you find a good magnified red dot scope with a lot of eye relief.

This is what I used for my Pulse Rifle and my G&G SRL M4.

https://www.airsoftgi.com/product/Lance ... ack-31895/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:25 pm 

Whamhammer wrote:
paradoxum wrote:

I would keep the one with a flashlight just because you might actually use a flashlight, the only thing that I’ve seen naked eye visible lasers good for is giving away your position and making a target of ones self. I’ve only seen one or two night ops were we had a scout with NVG that used a green laser to paint the area that we needed to suppress but he was so buried in cover and no one bothered to get at him.

Trust me on this, you will not even want a light once you find a good magnified red dot scope with a lot of eye relief.

Yeah even playing like, BF4 I know to keep my gun pointed down at the ground because the lasers give away your position - you've played milsim with real NVGs and shit? awesome.

I've got an eotech holo replica which is pretty good but there is way too much reflection on the glass, I think I'm gonna try putting some matte phone screen film protectors over it.

But this is the sight i'm planning to get for the top of the PR because I think it matches the aesthetics of the gun; https://extreemtactical.com/ncstar-vdel ... scope-tan/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:03 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.52161G1
They have those glare and scope protectors, I don't know what they're called.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:19 pm 

paradoxum wrote:
Whamhammer wrote:
paradoxum wrote:

Yeah even playing like, BF4 I know to keep my gun pointed down at the ground because the lasers give away your position - you've played milsim with real NVGs and shit? awesome.

I've got an eotech holo replica which is pretty good but there is way too much reflection on the glass, I think I'm gonna try putting some matte phone screen film protectors over it.

But this is the sight i'm planning to get for the top of the PR because I think it matches the aesthetics of the gun; https://extreemtactical.com/ncstar-vdel ... scope-tan/

The only thing I would be worried about with that scope is its seems like it wouldnt have very good eye relief, so you would have a narrow field of view. Tracking targets isnt as easy as well.

Ive found that going with a 40mm or wider lens will yield better performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:47 pm 

I think I would probably not end up using any kind of scope or sight during gameplay anyway, once you learn your guns it becomes muscle memory and you know where each shot is going to land anyway, the NCStar scope just looks nice and fits the rest of the gun well - although a green version would be nicer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:38 am 

paradoxum wrote:
I think I would probably not end up using any kind of scope or sight during gameplay anyway, once you learn your guns it becomes muscle memory and you know where each shot is going to land anyway, the NCStar scope just looks nice and fits the rest of the gun well - although a green version would be nicer.

I find iron sights with real steel is more effective than iron sights with airsoft, at least you can see the dirt kicking up with real steel.

CQB is pretty easy for aiming in airsoft but ranged shots become harder to make, the further out the target is.

When you start aiming for the 150+ feet and you can’t see the bbs anymore with the naked eye, a scope with a zoom is helpful, also being able to better ID a target is helpful too (is that a guy in a ghillie, or is it a bush? I am colorblind, so being able to pick up movement is really enchanced with magnification because for some reason, no one wears orange in an airsoft game in the woods, go figure. Is that a growth on the side of that tree,or a person poking their head out?), not to mention being able to determine how wind or twigs/leaves are impacting your shots.

I wont even get into when you start aiming for 250 feet or more, you could be missing because of lack of hop, or too much hop, or total loss of momentum, and youd never know it because you can see it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:05 pm 

Whamhammer wrote:
paradoxum wrote:

I find iron sights with real steel is more effective than iron sights with airsoft, at least you can see the dirt kicking up with real steel.

CQB is pretty easy for aiming in airsoft but ranged shots become harder to make, the further out the target is.

When you start aiming for the 150+ feet and you can’t see the bbs anymore with the naked eye, a scope with a zoom is helpful, also being able to better ID a target is helpful too (is that a guy in a ghillie, or is it a bush? I am colorblind, so being able to pick up movement is really enchanced with magnification because for some reason, no one wears orange in an airsoft game in the woods, go figure. Is that a growth on the side of that tree,or a person poking their head out?), not to mention being able to determine how wind or twigs/leaves are impacting your shots.

I wont even get into when you start aiming for 250 feet or more, you could be missing because of lack of hop, or too much hop, or total loss of momentum, and youd never know it because you can see it.

Is this gun decent at that range? I honestly wasn't expecting even half that for a 'wall gun', but I was looking around and also per your advice, a new barrel ( https://www.bullseyecountrysport.co.uk/ ... 1903-p.asp) hopup bucking ( https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/maple-leaf-macaron-60-aeg) hopup tensioner ( https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/maple-leaf-nub ) and a https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011BSJB6I better motor looks like it would turn the gun into a beast. I'm gonna do what I can on my own and then ship it off to have a mosfet installed and other tweaks (shimming) etc. just gearbox things I don't wanna mess with myself.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:04 am 

paradoxum wrote:
Whamhammer wrote:
paradoxum wrote:

Is this gun decent at that range? I honestly wasn't expecting even half that for a 'wall gun', but I was looking around and also per your advice, a new barrel ( https://www.bullseyecountrysport.co.uk/ ... 1903-p.asp) hopup bucking ( https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/maple-leaf-macaron-60-aeg) hopup tensioner ( https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/maple-leaf-nub ) and a https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011BSJB6I better motor looks like it would turn the gun into a beast. I'm gonna do what I can on my own and then ship it off to have a mosfet installed and other tweaks (shimming) etc. just gearbox things I don't wanna mess with myself.

My Pulse Rifle pretty much peaks out at the 200 feet, I am about to tinker around with a Thompson that has the same exact setup as my Pulse Rifle to see if some ideas that I have will get me some more accuracy and range. I wont confuse my PR for my DMR but it will reach out and touch someone with the right TLC. Also remember I am using a .30/.32 gram bbs, and a magnified optic that I have zeroed for range with a lot of practice.

As far as the items you posted:

-barrel looks good and bucking fine in the 60-70 degree range, make sure the guy wraps the barrel with some electrical or teflon tape, depending on how much room the inner barrel has (mine took electrical iust fine.

-I dont know anything about that SHS motor, SHS makes a good product but I don't know what magnets are in it or what RPM it is. Most shops carry good motors, push come to shove.

-The hop up nub doesn't appear to be a flat hop but I am sure that it could be cut down; I recommend specifying to the guy working on it to go with a flat hop setup and let them chose the nub and modify it and the bucking.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:12 am 

Whamhammer wrote:

Is this gun decent at that range? I honestly wasn't expecting even half that for a 'wall gun', but I was looking around and also per your advice, a new barrel ( https://www.bullseyecountrysport.co.uk/ ... 1903-p.asp) hopup bucking ( https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/maple-leaf-macaron-60-aeg) hopup tensioner ( https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/maple-leaf-nub ) and a https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011BSJB6I better motor looks like it would turn the gun into a beast. I'm gonna do what I can on my own and then ship it off to have a mosfet installed and other tweaks (shimming) etc. just gearbox things I don't wanna mess with myself.[/quote]

My Pulse Rifle pretty much peaks out at the 200 feet, I am about to tinker around with a Thompson that has the same exact setup as my Pulse Rifle to see if some ideas that I have will get me some more accuracy and range. I wont confuse my PR for my DMR but it will reach out and touch someone with the right TLC. Also remember I am using a .30/.32 gram bbs, and a magnified optic that I have zeroed for range with a lot of practice.

-barrel looks good and bucking fine in the 60-70 degree range, make sure the guy wraps the barrel with some electrical or teflon tape, depending on how much room the inner barrel has (mine took electrical iust fine.

-I dont know anything about that SHS motor, SHS makes a good product but I don't know what magnets are in it or what RPM it is. Most shops carry good motors, push come to shove.

-The hop up nub doesn't appear to be a flat hop but I am sure that it could be cut down; I recommend specifying to the guy working on it to go with a flat hop setup and let them chose the nub and modify it and the bucking.[/quote]

I was going to do the barrel/hopup nub/bucking etc mods myself as they seemed pretty simple.

Wrap the entire barrel? why for etc?

RE; motors, doesn't have to be that exact one, but what size etc should I be looking at?

RE; the nub again, I thought it came like that, but I guess not - is there one that does? if not I can easily do that mod myself I suppose after looking up what i'm doing.

thanks again,
para

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:27 pm 

paradoxum wrote:
Whamhammer wrote:

-The hop up nub doesn't appear to be a flat hop but I am sure that it could be cut down; I recommend specifying to the guy working on it to go with a flat hop setup and let them chose the nub and modify it and the bucking.[/quote]

I was going to do the barrel/hopup nub/bucking etc mods myself as they seemed pretty simple.

Wrap the entire barrel? why for etc?

RE; motors, doesn't have to be that exact one, but what size etc should I be looking at?

RE; the nub again, I thought it came like that, but I guess not - is there one that does? if not I can easily do that mod myself I suppose after looking up what i'm doing.

thanks again,
para[/quote]

The motor needs to be a “short” axle motor , neodymium magnet motor, with around a 30k rpm speed.

As far as the bucking and nub, I know alot of techs customize their nubs and buckings, especially for a flat hop set up. With the complexity of taking this apart to access the hop up and barrel, ai would have a person with higher experience do it, and then I would practice on things like a M4, that are easier to get access to the hop up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:08 am 

Gun is with the engineer now being sorted - one thing though, I can't seem to contact the guy doing the etended mag rail supports, is there anyone who knows someone doing them / where to get them?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:34 am 

paradoxum wrote:
Gun is with the engineer now being sorted - one thing though, I can't seem to contact the guy doing the etended mag rail supports, is there anyone who knows someone doing them / where to get them?

Thanks

If you can find one that is cheap enough, like on eBay, you could buy a LPEG Thompson and cut out the magazine guide on its lower reciever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:28 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Hey guys, can I politely request that you stop quoting each other when the post you are responding to is directly above your reply.
Needlessly bloats out the thread and makes it harder to follow.

If you're feeling really "civic minded", you could even go back and edit your previous posts to remove these quotes, or just keep in the sentences that are relevant ;)