The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Matrix Pulse Rifle Sling Mounts
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:37 pm 
Chernobyl

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.42157E1
So I got myself a Matrix pulse rifle to replace my old prop, mostly due to its LED ammo counter - was wondering what anyone else thinks of it and if anyone had any ideas of how to attach a sing to it since it doesn't have any sling mounts, I'm to afraid of the barrel vents and stock not holding the weapons weight if I attach the sling to them.

A05/TQ1.0.42157E1 SGM Gilbert, M "Chernobyl" - U.S.S. Blackhawk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:58 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
Duct tape.

When I had mine, the barrel vent seemed to take the weight very well (bare in mind I had a set of resin shrouds which weighed a bit more than the plastic ones). I simply tied the other end around the stock, not pretty but did the job, I wasn't trooping with it though....

Post subject: Re: Matrix Pulse Rifle Sling Mounts
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
You know a little known fun fact is that the lack of sling mounts are, in a sense, quite... "screen accurate" *dramatic music*

The 10-hole Hero, the rifle most people consider the epitome of what Pulse rifles should strive to be, had NO sling mounts (the rest did, though. Just saying precedent exists).

Front sling was clipped to the barrel vent.
Attachment:
20150404_123512.jpg
20150404_123512.jpg [ 160.26 KiB | Viewed 7879 times ]

Rear connector was clipped to one of the stock holes closer to the shroud.
Attachment:
Rear sling mount.jpg
Rear sling mount.jpg [ 82.57 KiB | Viewed 7877 times ]

(I dont have a clear image of the actual clip, but it is clearly not attached to the rear butt plate. One of the stock holes seems logical)

So back to the Matrix:
With the stock locked in a medium-extended position, the sling on the stock near the shroud is probably pretty stable.
However the barrel vent is a gamble for strength. The vent has about a 3/8" metal tab that holds it to the grenade launcher and the vent doesn't actually contact anything else. It isn't much, but it is better than trying to attach anything to the 'triangle', which is all plastic and hollow (plus filled with the sensors).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:18 am 
Veni, vidi, bibi cerevisia

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.52130E1
On my Matrix the front triangle that holds the counter sensor is metal except for the back cover. What I did was to reproduce it in solid ABS on a 3D printer. It's a flat 3/8" thick, the same thickness as the metal one and I just used a slightly longer screw than the original one that held the cover on to affix the two together. I then mounted a 1/2" D-ring in it with epoxy and did the same with the butt plate of the stock, mounting that one horizontally as I've seen in some of the other props and also in the thickest section. I think it was Dom who said that the butt is not very strong (it appears to be made of some sort of pot metal) but it seems to be holding up OK. I actually couldn't find any 1/2" D-rings in my local hardware stores, so I cut an S-hook in half and made my own. I figure if the butt D-ring fails, it wouldn't be too tough to make a replacement for the butt plate. As the front mount is supported by the barrel itself I don't anticipate any issues with that.

Image Image

-scoff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:28 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Oh, snap. Scoffman is 100% correct on the mounts. I was mistaken in saying the triangle on mine was plastic. Both the vent and triangle are metal. The 'tab' that holds the vent to the GL is about 2" though.

Very nice though, Scoffman. I really like that front mount. It also closes the gap between the triangle and vent, so it pulls double duty. Love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:26 pm 

Service Number: A04/TQ2.0.72145E1
I found that if you use the stock as a sling point it can break the inside lock mount that holds it in place.

11782474_815597685226914_6995911537178148215_o.jpg
11782474_815597685226914_6995911537178148215_o.jpg [ 340.4 KiB | Viewed 7798 times ]

A04/TQ2.0.72145E1 Capt Constable, JM Violentj Otago-NZ

Hoorah to ashes!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:57 am 

bigbisont wrote:
Oh, snap. Scoffman is 100% correct on the mounts. I was mistaken in saying the triangle on mine was plastic. Both the vent and triangle are metal. The 'tab' that holds the vent to the GL is about 2" though.

Very nice though, Scoffman. I really like that front mount. It also closes the gap between the triangle and vent, so it pulls double duty. Love it.

Thanks! If I had really wanted to make it look a little bit nicer I could have bondo'd the two together to fill in the slight gap and to correct for the ever so-slight size difference. But since it was my intention to keep it a working airsoft rifle I didn't in case I needed to take it apart again. And you are exactly correct on it pulling double duty, as it was my intention to make it look a bit more SA. :)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:01 am 

Violentj wrote:
I found that if you use the stock as a sling point it can break the inside lock mount that holds it in place.

Good to know, thanks for the tip! As I've taken mine apart a few times and knowing how the lock mechanism works, in the event it should break I'm fairly confident I could repair it.

-scoff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:36 am 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Service Number: A02/TQ2.0.52141E1
I used a BISLEY sling kit for a shotgun... Drilled and tapped a mount into the black plastic block on the stock and the front mount was a clamp arrangement to go around the barrel...

"Errr... Roger that's a 2-1-6..."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:02 am 
that's the best replica gun I've ever seen haha