The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Newbie with a couple of boneyard finds...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:35 am 

I was on Evike late on a Sunday night (actually Monday Morning, to get technical about it) a few weeks back. I ended up picking up BOTH a pulse rifle and an MG42 that were on the boneyard. I have been eyeing the M41A kit for months now and almost pulled the trigger a couple times. VERY glad I waited.

The Pulse rifle ended up being brand new- only think wrong was the trigger switch being mis-aligned a little bit to the right. Getting it apart was a challenge though, I am SO glad this forum exists or I would never have known about the stupid roll pins. As it is I have a few gouges I need to fix at some point. I would like to upgrade it but that is off in the future.

The MG42 needed more work- the tappet plate was broken and the rear sight had pulled out. I fixed both and it shoots fine. Unfortunately it is missing the top part of the front sight and the stock. I don't know if i will ever have the resources to make it into a smart gun, so i will probably leave it stock for the foreseeable future.

Anyone have a spare stock and sights left over from a conversion?

I do have an issue with the MG42 drum. A couple of gears stripped inside the gear box. It still works but will miss shots now and then. Has anyone run into this and found a fix?

Cheers
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:33 pm 

how much did the boneyard pulse rifle set you back?

now im wondering why i didnt get an email notification for one.

Post subject: Re: Newbie with a couple of boneyard finds...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:43 pm 

Hello

It was less than just the conversion kit-

The battery is no good, has anyone fit a Lipo stick type to increase the ROF? If I hook up a 7.4 V 1100 Ma Lipo it sounds about perfect, but I do not have the correct style to fit.

I was reading up on the site about the disconnect between the ROF of the Thompson (average about 600 rpm I think) and the sound used in the movie. There is a little gizmo called a burst wizard that can be used to set an exact ROF, magazine qty, etc. Can also be used to simulate mag empty, will not shoot again until you remove and re-load. I have one for my airsoft Sterling (turned into an E11 blaster) and it works great.

http://aegwizard.com/

The only issue I have is the hi-cap mag keeps jamming, I have to take it apart and investigate.

I've had a regular Thompson for a few years now, the only real weakness I have run across is the mag release- the little bit that is knurled for your thumb broke off. Otherwise the Thompsons are notorious for breaking the barrel at the front of the receiver if you hit it on a tree or something similar. Not an issue with a Pulse rifle...

Cheers