The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Matrix PR Paint
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:21 am 

This is my first post on the aliens legacy forum. Purchased a Matrix PR and looking to paint and weather it and I've been reading some of the posts here concerning the paint to use.

Rust-Oleum 1916830 Camouflage Spray, Black as the base coat. I'm thinking of using Revell 046 nato olive matt acrylic for the shroud. From what I've read this is the closest to Humbrol 170 "Brown Bess". I can't seem to find this in the US and might have to have it shipped from the UK. Has anyone used this color? Any other recommendations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:45 pm 

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12132E1
Sorry, can't help on the close to brown bess, I went olive drab on my Matrix PR. I remember someone color matched it and is offering it in spray cans. I'll do some searching...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:45 am 
Ask me about Giraffes...

Service Number: A13/TQ1.4.19720EX
Aervoe 999 Earth Brown has been mentioned in the past as similar. You can get that as an aerosol in the US.

SAS

Founder of UKCM 13th Regt. 1st Batt. Freebooters
Founder of Special Armaments Section (Heavy Weapons)
"People don't understand. people like me"

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:51 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Sidewinder wrote:
Aervoe 999 Earth Brown has been mentioned in the past as similar. You can get that as an aerosol in the US.

SAS

Aervoe is what I use. It is a bit light in color, though. Matsuo had mentioned it may have had a formula change so the current run of Aervoe 999 isn't as good as it used to be. I try to make up for this by 'dusting' OD paint on top (or vice versa where I lay the OD down first, then dust with Aervoe).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:08 am 

Thanks, has anyone tried the Revell out? I can't find the post, but I think the person who color matched it said it was Revell. Robiwon I saw your post on the RPF, where you also were testing out SAC Brown Bomber. Thought that looked good too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:23 pm 
AKKURAZI

My PR has a Revell 46 spraypainted shroud and it does look the part IMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:56 pm 

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12132E1
Thanks. I ultimately went with an O.D. Oh, and gathering parts for a real steal build right now as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:30 am 

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.42137E1
I used Krylon Camouflage green, no-name Flat Black and Satin Black, and did weathering with Apple Barrel silver metallics. For some details I used a mix of Apple Barrel green and black to create a darker green color.

My Matrix is the rifle on the bottom in this pic:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:39 pm 

Looks like I can't go Revell. The online store I bought it from refunded my payment since no delivery company can ship aeresol cans? I just heard the same from a local Revell dealer.

Robiwon, good luck with your steel build.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:58 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Construx wrote:
Looks like I can't go Revell. The online store I bought it from refunded my payment since no delivery company can ship aeresol cans? I just heard the same from a local Revell dealer.

Technically no one can ship aeresol cans via "air" travel. Its a safety thing with the air pressure change and all that jazz. That pretty much kills an international or cross continental vendor options. However, everyone should be able to ship aeresol cans via any 'ground' method. Any chance you can find someone closer to you that wouldn't default to 'air' shipping or perhaps specify you want it shipped 'ground' even if slower?

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:48 am 

bigbisont wrote:
Construx wrote:

Technically no one can ship aeresol cans via "air" travel. Its a safety thing with the air pressure change and all that jazz. That pretty much kills an international or cross continental vendor options. However, everyone should be able to ship aeresol cans via any 'ground' method. Any chance you can find someone closer to you that wouldn't default to 'air' shipping or perhaps specify you want it shipped 'ground' even if slower?

Yah, that makes sense. I contacted a Revell dealer and he said that no Revell aerosol is shipped to north america. Thanks. Think I'm just going to get the Aervoe 999 Earth brown aersol:

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/har ... -p-52.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:14 am 

You can get Revel 46 in a tin... Brush paint it on.

http://www.kgbairsoft.com/wordpress

Post subject: Re: Matrix PR Paint
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:00 pm 

I'm in the midst of painting. Ended up choosing the SAC Brown bomber for the shroud. I noticed that some people use a clear sealant at the end. What type do you recommend?

During disassemble I couldn't separate the shroud from the thompson because I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the cables. Not a big deal as I just taped and covered it with a garbage bag. But, wouldn't mind knowing how too.

Do you paint the thompson (trigger and handle)? I was skeptical to do it because I didn't want to clog and jam moving pieces with paint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:00 am 

Service Number: A11/TQ0.0.42132E1 S
Anyone remove the orange tips or just paint? Metal barrel has retaining pins so may be too hard. Looking for what others may have done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:01 am 

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13781

Looks like they might be out, but they probably still have the mix ratios or whatever it's called to make more. Airbrush only though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:47 am 
Hellooo Nurse!

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.02153E1
I'm colorblind but is this a close match to Bess Brown? http://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/shop/paint ... paint.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:34 am 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
Apollo wrote:
I'm colorblind but is this a close match to Bess Brown? http://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/shop/paint ... paint.html

Nope, that's German Green actually a shade or two lighter in person.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:02 am 
Veni, vidi, bibi cerevisia

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.52130E1
stlrammer wrote:
Anyone remove the orange tips or just paint? Metal barrel has retaining pins so may be too hard. Looking for what others may have done.

Yes, if you are referring to removing the orange rings on the front of the Matrix PR, it's no big deal. Just warm them up using a heat gun or blow dryer and then pop them off with a screwdriver. I held onto mine in case I needed put them back on for a Con, etc. Most of the orange tips on airsoft guns are just hot-glued on, or require a CLOCKWISE twist to remove (opposite of standard threading - i.e. 'Right to tight, left to loose.)

Hope this helps!

scoff