The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Upgrading the guns power? And a question about the mags.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:34 pm 

I'm sure it's possible but I've no idea where to even begin, I see people talking about replacing the gearbox and such, does that increase the FPS/range/accuracy? Is it easy to do?

Also with the magazines, how many BBs exactly can be loaded when you spin the cog at the bottom? And how can you tell when to stop spinning it? I don't seem to feel any difference in force with it, they just spin on and on.

Also, sticking the mag into the magwell is a pain in the arse because the rail is so deep - has anyone made any 3d-printed parts you can buy or *anything* to help with aligning the mag for easier insertion?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Upgrading the guns power? And a question about the mags.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:32 am 

paradoxum wrote:
I'm sure it's possible but I've no idea where to even begin, I see people talking about replacing the gearbox and such, does that increase the FPS/range/accuracy? Is it easy to do?

Also with the magazines, how many BBs exactly can be loaded when you spin the cog at the bottom? And how can you tell when to stop spinning it? I don't seem to feel any difference in force with it, they just spin on and on.

Also, sticking the mag into the magwell is a pain in the arse because the rail is so deep - has anyone made any 3d-printed parts you can buy or *anything* to help with aligning the mag for easier insertion?

Thanks in advance.

My PR started at the high 390s fps @.20 grams, with a Madbull Black Python 6.03 diameter, 300mm long tightbore inner barrel, and a Maple Leaf 70’ bucking w/flat hop, it got to 412; thats all without getting into the gearbox. I can be confident enough to hit guys at 200 feet with a few follow up shots. Hi caps will make a distinctive clicking noise when they are wound all the way.

Barrel, bucking, hop up, and BB weight/quality is mostly what makes an airsoft guns range and accuracy. The heavier the BB, the more kinetic force that it maintains through its travel, and less deviation to the target because of wind but the barrel velocity of a heavier shot is slower ( using the same fps). 350-400 fps is pretty good for the typical outdoors field skirmisher, I wouldnt go into the gearbox unless there is something wrong with it. The version 6 gearbox (what it comes with) is a tough little gearbox and tends to hold up better than equivalent version 2 gearboxes that go into M4’s.

I would recommend a higher quality motor though, as the factory one gets real hot if you shoot alot. Dont go gonzo on the motor though , as my 11.1v LiPo and 35k neo motor setup will go faster than my mags can keep up if I feed .30 - .32 gram BBs at full auto ( best rate of fire I got was 26 rps with .20s), unless you are using light bbs and fighting midrange.

I have a Gate Warfet Mosfet system, and I programed it to cut my ROF down with it so I can use heavy shot and not have feeding problems with full auto.

Taking the shroud apart on a Pulse Rifle is a royal pain, and I wouldnt recommend doing it lightheartedly, as there are a lot of bits that can go missing if you arent careful. Theres a reason why I own two, one is untouched and beautiful, and the other is a beast and has the outer wear to prove its not a garage queen.

One of the guys here did make a mag well guide, I think it was Stimpy.

The mag that comes with the gun holds 190-200 shots; King Arms makes 110 round Midcap (no winding) is the same length as the Thompsons 30 rounders and there are hi-caps (winding wheel on the bottom) that are 400 shots, but you either need to cut a hole in the bottom mag cover or remove it from the body.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:28 pm 

Whamhammer wrote:
paradoxum wrote:

Thanks in advance.

My PR started at the high 390s fps @.20 grams, with a Madbull Black Python 6.03 diameter, 300mm long tightbore inner barrel, and a Maple Leaf 70’ bucking w/flat hop, it got to 412; thats all without getting into the gearbox. I can be confident enough to hit guys at 200 feet with a few follow up shots. Hi caps will make a distinctive clicking noise when they are wound all the way.

Barrel, bucking, hop up, and BB weight/quality is mostly what makes an airsoft guns range and accuracy. The heavier the BB, the more kinetic force that it maintains through its travel, and less deviation to the target because of wind but the barrel velocity of a heavier shot is slower ( using the same fps). 350-400 fps is pretty good for the typical outdoors field skirmisher, I wouldnt go into the gearbox unless there is something wrong with it. The version 6 gearbox (what it comes with) is a tough little gearbox and tends to hold up better than equivalent version 2 gearboxes that go into M4’s.

I would recommend a higher quality motor though, as the factory one gets real hot if you shoot alot. Dont go gonzo on the motor though , as my 11.1v LiPo and 35k neo motor setup will go faster than my mags can keep up if I feed .30 - .32 gram BBs at full auto ( best rate of fire I got was 26 rps with .20s), unless you are using light bbs and fighting midrange.

I have a Gate Warfet Mosfet system, and I programed it to cut my ROF down with it so I can use heavy shot and not have feeding problems with full auto.

Taking the shroud apart on a Pulse Rifle is a royal pain, and I wouldnt recommend doing it lightheartedly, as there are a lot of bits that can go missing if you arent careful. Theres a reason why I own two, one is untouched and beautiful, and the other is a beast and has the outer wear to prove its not a garage queen.

The mag that comes with the gun holds 190-200 shots; King Arms makes 110 round Midcap (no winding) is the same length as the Thompsons 30 rounders and there are hi-caps (winding wheel on the bottom) that are 400 shots, but you either need to cut a hole in the bottom mag cover or remove it from the body.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

The BBs I've got right now are Swiss Arms Platinum Series 0.25g

Battery I have is a NUPROL 9.6v 1,600mah and it just barely fits in the battery casing, 11.1v lipo does that just make it last longer or have more 'punch' with each shot etc?
http://www.revrobotics.com/rev-21-1650/ is this the motor you're talking about?
Is replacing the motor as simple as just swapping it out with the current one and splicing the wires back together? I'm OK with a bit of light soldering / electrical work but seeing as how the gun cost me nearly £300 I'm hesitant to do anything with it, just like you I'd like to own two of them for that very reason.

"Gate Warfet Mosfet system , and I programed it to cut my ROF down with it so I can use heavy shot and not have feeding problems with full auto." sounds like pretty advanced stuff, do I really need to worry about something like that? Firing the gun as stock on full auto and it empties the mag in like 20 seconds anyway, absolutely tears to shreds the targets and is dead-on accurrate even with the very minimal 'sight' rail on top, once you fire your first shot you pretty much know exactly where the next one is going to hit, but then my yard isn't that big and the longest range I can get to a target is 20 feet.

Again thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:34 pm 
You tell me man, I only work here.

I have a G+P /Marui PR, so it has mag guide rails on both sides.

I offer a mag insert kit for the Matrix/Snow Wolf that keeps the mag and bottom together.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:38 pm 

Noble wrote:

I offer a mag insert kit for the Matrix/Snow Wolf that keeps the mag and bottom together.

Oh nice, how much and do you ship to the UK? Definitely interested next payday.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:14 am 

paradoxum wrote:
Whamhammer wrote:
paradoxum wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

The BBs I've got right now are Swiss Arms Platinum Series 0.25g

Battery I have is a NUPROL 9.6v 1,600mah and it just barely fits in the battery casing, 11.1v lipo does that just make it last longer or have more 'punch' with each shot etc?
http://www.revrobotics.com/rev-21-1650/ is this the motor you're talking about?
Is replacing the motor as simple as just swapping it out with the current one and splicing the wires back together? I'm OK with a bit of light soldering / electrical work but seeing as how the gun cost me nearly £300 I'm hesitant to do anything with it, just like you I'd like to own two of them for that very reason.

"Gate Warfet Mosfet system , and I programed it to cut my ROF down with it so I can use heavy shot and not have feeding problems with full auto." sounds like pretty advanced stuff, do I really need to worry about something like that? Firing the gun as stock on full auto and it empties the mag in like 20 seconds anyway, absolutely tears to shreds the targets and is dead-on accurrate even with the very minimal 'sight' rail on top, once you fire your first shot you pretty much know exactly where the next one is going to hit, but then my yard isn't that big and the longest range I can get to a target is 20 feet.

Again thanks.

The motor and battery only impact trigger response and rate of fire. If you run a 11.1v LiPo or Li Ion, you need to run a mosfet. If you only run lighter shot (.20, .25 gram) , especially with a slower motor/lower volrage battery, the mags should keep up fine.

If your shots are not going very far, I would say you need to adjust the hop-up on the PR, 100 ft shots should be typically reasonable. Burnt Wolf Airsoft has a good youtube video about hop ups, and is a good youtube channel for airsoft (did a review of the PR by the way), as is Airsoftogy.

FPS is impacted by overall air seal, spring strength, and cylinder/barrel volume ratio.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:59 pm 
You tell me man, I only work here.

Quote:

They are 20 each, now that I have my own printer. I do ship to the UK.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:14 am 

Noble wrote:
Quote:

I recall a member on here who was talking about 3D printing those guides to add into the Snow Wolf RIFs but I don't recall him ever posting he'd finished them.

Quote:

Ah, fantastic! I shall take you up on that when I can get another couple of covers too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:16 pm 

You know what would be killer thing to make, a shroud adapter that would allow the portion of the shroud that covers the lower reciever to removed, and would bolt/screw/use the force/etc to keep the shround in place and snug with the lower.

It’s a real PITA to pull the lower and get to the gearbox.

I’d pay some greenbacks for that!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:45 pm 

Noble wrote:
Quote:

They are 20 each, now that I have my own printer. I do ship to the UK.

Awesome. Do you have a thread for these somewhere / pics?

I've got 3x mags for my PR - does this fix a single mag to the bottom cap or something? Pics would be great. is that 20 usd, shipped?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:17 pm 

Whamhammer wrote:
You know what would be killer thing to make, a shroud adapter that would allow the portion of the shroud that covers the lower reciever to removed, and would bolt/screw/use the force/etc to keep the shround in place and snug with the lower.

Also yeah this. Still be enough room to stick your finger in to switch the ammo counter, but having the shroud stay on would be a godsend. The best I've come up with so far is using sticky back velcro on the shround and the cap.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:39 am 

paradoxum wrote:
Whamhammer wrote:

Also yeah this. Still be enough room to stick your finger in to switch the ammo counter, but having the shroud stay on would be a godsend. The best I've come up with so far is using sticky back velcro on the shround and the cap.

One could alwys relocate the switch to a part on the outide of the gun, theres tons of places that it would be easy the tuck it away on the outside but not be painfully obvious.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:40 am 

Whamhammer wrote:
paradoxum wrote:
Whamhammer wrote:

One could alwys relocate the switch to a part on the outide of the gun, theres tons of places that it would be easy the tuck it away on the outside but not be painfully obvious.

I saw on some topic where people were modding the UGL part to fire an actual shell, they hollowed out the magwell and totally removed the 9v battery compartment and made room for a higher capacity lipo which fit in there, and they also wired it up to power the ammo counter - is this worth doing? the battery probably wouldn't be able to be removed and just have to be charged whilst in the gun, but I wouldn't mind that, hell the ammo counter while fun is more of a 'rule of cool' / cosmetic thing than actually useful - I've tried counting the amount of shots I get from a loaded mag multiple times on single shot with it and I think I get around 40 shots (does that sound right?) but it has been a while since I tested it and I've forgot.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:01 pm 

paradoxum wrote:
Whamhammer wrote:
paradoxum wrote:

I saw on some topic where people were modding the UGL part to fire an actual shell, they hollowed out the magwell and totally removed the 9v battery compartment and made room for a higher capacity lipo which fit in there, and they also wired it up to power the ammo counter - is this worth doing? the battery probably wouldn't be able to be removed and just have to be charged whilst in the gun, but I wouldn't mind that, hell the ammo counter while fun is more of a 'rule of cool' / cosmetic thing than actually useful - I've tried counting the amount of shots I get from a loaded mag multiple times on single shot with it and I think I get around 40 shots (does that sound right?) but it has been a while since I tested it and I've forgot.

40 shots on a highcap wind sounds about right but its more useful if using the King Arms 110 shot midcap (which I use). I tend to only turn it on for indoor games and night stuff.

Building a GL doesn't really require one to remove the 9v and disable the shot counter, just run the aeg battery wiring out to the outside, and mount a battery holding PEQ box on the vent rail.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:53 pm 

Got a link to the rail adapter for the PEQ box? I've got one of the blakc battery holding ones with a simple red laser on it, but can't find any picatinny rail mounts that would 'screw into' the vent rail.

I was thinking of getting one of these for the rear screw hole where I put an mlok mount for my sling; https://www.amazon.co.uk/TuFok-M-lok-Pi ... 07G6P8NBC/

https://imgur.com/BL8ot6X

and then using an offset rail adapter like; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-45-Degr ... 2804686337 and mounting the peq box on that as well as being able to use a sling on the end of the rail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:27 pm 

These are the mags I've got:
https://www.bespokeairsoft.co.uk/snow-w ... azine-sw11

- 2x (M41A) Pulse Rifle 210rd 6mm Magazines - £35.90

https://imgur.com/MpzHxVx

what others are available? They fit in with the cap on fine, just really trying to figure out a better way to guide the mag inside the magwell up to that high-up rail.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:26 am 

paradoxum wrote:

what others are available? They fit in with the cap on fine, just really trying to figure out a better way to guide the mag inside the magwell up to that high-up rail.

What you have is the “20 round” Thompson high cap mags (200 shots), they are close to the dimensions of the Tommyguns 20 round magazine’s. Tokyo Marui, CYMA, King Arms and a couple other companies make a replica of the Tommyguns 30 round magazine both in mid-cap (110 shots) and high cap (400 shots). The 30 round mags require a Pulse Rifle to take off the lower cover or cut a hole in the lower cover to let the mag fit through (shows about an inch past the cover).

I prefer the King Arms 110 shot mid-cap, no winding required. I also have a magazine guide that one of the guys on here from NZ 3D printed and sold to me. I have to remember his name for the board, he may be able to help you out.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:29 am 

paradoxum wrote:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT!!!!

Last edited by Whamhammer on Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:25 pm 

Whamhammer wrote:
paradoxum wrote:

Any picatinny rail kit will work; I put a nylon washer on the screw that I put through the vent hole to attach to the picatinny rail.

I didn't think of using a picatinny rail, the slide bit on the magazines just goes right over them? Thanks for the tip.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:11 am 

paradoxum wrote:
Whamhammer wrote:
paradoxum wrote:

Any picatinny rail kit will work; I put a nylon washer on the screw that I put through the vent hole to attach to the picatinny rail.

I didn't think of using a picatinny rail, the slide bit on the magazines just goes right over them? Thanks for the tip.

Please ignore that statement, it wasnt mean to be for the PEQ box mounting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:14 am 

paradoxum wrote:
Got a link to the rail adapter for the PEQ box? I've got one of the blakc battery holding ones with a simple red laser on it, but can't find any picatinny rail mounts that would 'screw into' the vent rail.

I was thinking of getting one of these for the rear screw hole where I put an mlok mount for my sling; https://www.amazon.co.uk/TuFok-M-lok-Pi ... 07G6P8NBC/

and then using an offset rail adapter like; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-45-Degr ... 2804686337 and mounting the peq box on that as well as being able to use a sling on the end of the rail.

A picattiny rail , mounted on the vent grilles, or the plastic shroud, towards the barrel, will work fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:44 pm 

Whamhammer wrote:
paradoxum wrote:

A picattiny rail , mounted on the vent grilles, or the plastic shroud, towards the barrel, will work fine.

Ah ok I must have got confused too I thought you meant to help feed the magazine up the magwell, I suppose some picatinny rail will fit to the barrel shroud nicely. I ended up going for one of these for the bottom sling, should work perfectly. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-25-QD-Slin ... 4245154026