The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: FAQ: Where to fit an airsoft battery in the Pulse Rifle...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:31 pm 
Over the years there's been a lot of debate as to where to fit an airsoft battery within our beloved M41-A Pulse Rifle (aka PR).

Within the Grenade Launcher
The most common approach to having an airsoft battery within the PR is by placing it within the front end of the Grenade Launcher (aka GL). The GL is one of the few areas that can accomodate the battery due to the battery's size. It's very hard to fit the battery inside the pulse rifle regardless of whether you're using a stick battery (all the cells attached together end on end in a single row), or the more common battery configurations (3 or 4 cells in a column, two rows of cells, sometimes an extra cell stacked onto the end of the two columns). The GL can fit it, but you will most likely sacrifice the functionality of the GL itself. Stick batteries are usually placed in the lower front half of the GL where the shell tube would normally be, and will extend into the M870 receiver. The more common battery packs that aren't as long as the stick batteries are usually placed in the front section of the GL where the M870 barrel and shell tube would be. Pro: The GL is one of the few places within the PR that can accomodate a full sized airsoft battery. Pro: It's very well concealed within that area. Con: Makes the front end heavy. Con: Sacrifices the use of the firing M870.

Within/On the Extendable Stock
Another option, one that airsoft players have frequently used on the extendable stocks of M16 and MP5 variants is to attach the battery externally to the stock itself. The extendable stocks of M16 and MP5 variants usually do not have adequate room to house a full sized battery. Therefore, they make or buy a pouch that can strap onto the stock that will hold the battery. There are obvious pros and cons to this solution. Pro: It greatly improves the balance of the pulse rifle. When the battery is placed in the GL, it seems very front heavy. Placing it on the stock helps. Pro: It's easier to access the battery when placed on the stock. For hardcore airsoft skirmishers, this may be preferable. Pro: It allows full functionality of the M870 (so long as you can figure out where to place the gas reservoir for the Maruzen M870). Pro: Zero dremeling is needed within the M1A1 Thompson receiver because the battery cable can extend directly out of the bottom rear of the M1A1 receiver. Con: Whether you place the battery in the hollow of the stock or on the side of it, you can't really collapse the stock while the battery is in place. Con: Having the battery on the outside of the PR detracts from the overall aesthetic of the piece.

Within the Shroud
This isn't really viable.
A common misconception is that there should be more than adequate space is in the carry handle of the Pulse Rifle shroud. I decided to take some orthographic pics of the various shrouds out there. I have quite a few shrouds, but the more common ones that people may have are the MIM shrouds, GNG shrouds, and the SD or GEM shrouds (as many of you know, the GEM shrouds are identical to SD shrouds... I have both). So all comments about either the SD or GEM are interchangable.

There really is NO ROOM in these shrouds for an airsoft battery.

MIM Shroud:

[img]http://www.hooverae.com/upload/pics/PR_MIM_small.jpg[/img]

GNG Shroud:

[img]http://www.hooverae.com/upload/pics/PR_GNG_small.jpg[/img]

SD or GEM Shroud:

[img]http://www.hooverae.com/upload/pics/PR_SDGEM_small.jpg[/img]

I think the main reason why people think they can fit a battery into the handle of the shroud is because they forget that the handle doubles as a sight rail. This essentially voids 80% +/- of the space in that area as a possible candidate for a battery.

A cursory look at the vacc-ed shrouds seems to show that there maybe space in the MagWell for batteries, but on the GNG shroud, this area is consumed by a 9volt battery which powers the counter. If a 9 volt battery takes up most of that space then I hardly think a 8.4V or 9.6V 1700 mah battery will fit in there. Obviously, the MIM shroud is mostly solid resin, with few hollow areas, so I don't think there's any spare room in there at all... unless you do a lot of dremeling. Even then you are still limited by approximately the same amount of space that the vacc-ed shrouds are constrained by.

Shroud Variations:
[img]http://www.hooverae.com/upload/pics/shroudVariations_small.jpg[/img]
(From top to bottom: GNG, GEM/SD, MIM)

It is entirely possible that a new type of battery will come on the market that is significantly smaller in size and can fit within the shroud. I'd be the first to buy one! But until that happens it would seem that there isn't adequate room within the shroud's carry handle to fit currently available airsoft batteries.

Conclusion: After a lot of R&D, the majority prefer to place the airsoft battery within the GL. Aesthetics often supersede the need for a fully functional GL. Bare in mind that although a battery is placed within the GL, this doesn't sacrifice the ability to rack the GL itself. Strapping the battery to the stock isn't a bad idea, especially if you are okay with the minor aesthetic inaccuracy when a battery is attached. I'd recommend this to the hardcore airsofters.

-Alex

"The M41-A. When you absolutely, positively have to kill every mofo in the room. Accept no substitutes."Edited by: [url=http://p220.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=uscmcorps>uscmCorps[/url] at: 7/7/05 9:20 am

Post subject: Re: Where to fit an airsoft battery in the Pulse Rifle...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:02 pm 
Quote:
Quote:ok i know i have said this like in 3 different posts....but if u look on the right side of the GNG shroud (with some minor dremeling to the top) the P90 9.6V 1700mah batter can fit there...i am almost 98% possitive.

The evidence suggests otherwise.

Quote:
Quote:Oh yea and ummm....were did u get the GNG shroud? is there anyway of getting JUST the shroud?

You have to buy the whole kit.
Edited by: [url=http://p220.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=uscmcorps>uscmCorps[/url] at: 7/6/05 3:51 pm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:43 pm 
ok i know i have said this like in 3 different posts....but if u look on the right side of the GNG shroud (with some minor dremeling to the top) the P90 9.6V 1700mah batter can fit there...i am almost 98% possitive.
Oh yea and ummm....were did u get the GNG shroud? is there anyway of getting JUST the shroud?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:58 am 
The right side of the SD/GEM/GNG/MIM shrouds are for all intents and purposes exactly the same as the left side.

The only difference is the fact that there's a shot counter there. The shroud esentially fits the Thompson like a glove. This is especially true in the case of the MIM shroud, which is in my opinion the strongest shroud that's been made... with the exception of the screen used metal ones.

Photo courtesy Guardian Matsuo.

This is a photo of the GWII/Matsuo shroud, and while it's vaccuformed, there is a solid resin insert in the carry handle which strengthens and reinforces the works and ties it all togeather.

Photo courtesy Guardian Matsuo.

We're not trying to dissuade you BTW, we're just supplying our shared wealth of information and practical 'hands on' experience.

If you can get it to work with your PR, feel free to share your experiences and photos so others can benefit from the share of information.

Rook

"Time has little to do with infinity and jelly doughnuts."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:31 pm 
i really do appreciate all the info...i guess i dont know as much as i thought i did....as soon as i gather up some more cash, imma get right to work...thanks usmcCORPS and Rook!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:08 pm 
Trust me, I had EXACTLY the same idea when I first considered building a PR. But after actually getting my first shrouds and seeing how it all goes togeather, I changed my mind right fast. :)

Quote:
Quote:thanks usmcCORPS and Rook!

You're welcome, we're just here to help.

Rook

"Time has little to do with infinity and jelly doughnuts."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:25 pm 
Nobody's mentioned a satellite sling yet :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:08 am 
That's because they're not screen accurate. ;)

Russ

"There's nothing worse than people desperate to have fun."
-Patton Oswalt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:43 pm 
... Yet.
I'm sure one could be modded up :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:26 pm 
Hello to all.

Some may know that I am planning on making a fulling working airsoft PR and the gas tank and Large size (Am not size) inside the Fairing (shoud).

The gas tank is in the PR right now and lay under the plastic cover to help the magazine slide up on the other side of the counter cover on the G&P kit.

The battery I plan to have at the back or front or both of the shoud. I plan to make a better stock lock than the G&P one and similar to rookscastle. But I have used the same two slot system as on the G&P stock but with the stock from Phil S and four screw to hold the stock soild but easy to slide in and out. The main slot will be used to lock the stock into the three main postions like on rookscastle. I will make a bar to keep the slot small to give more strength to the stock lock and mill the some square on the bar to match the square at the bottom of the M1A1 plastic.

So I hope to have a nice looking but fully working PR.

Cheer's DATA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:36 am 
Hello to All.

I have found a battery the is very small but has the power to!!!!

www.cngtek.com/items/Disp...detail.htm

Cheer's DATA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:14 am 
Nice idea, but that's 3.7 volts at 1800 mAh.

You need at leat 8.4v to run the Marui Thompson.

Russ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:49 pm 
Hey Rook, the idea is to use two of these batteries. They are small enough to go in the back of the shroud once the G&P stock mechanism is removed (in favour of a system similar to your tutorial). So that would be 7.4 volts. Would the Thompson not run on that?

Darren

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:27 pm 
Just... But the ROF would be decreased.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:21 pm 
I know that 7.4 volt be fine as I see and fire some TM M4 with the same type and volt batterys.

I could not see any different.

I will get them soon when I done my stock mod's with the same idea as rook castle but a little better.

I hope to slot these batterys in the back of the shoud above the stock. I will make a cage system so they should slide in like magazines. This is on the G&P PR!!!

Hoply in the new year I will have it done and than we will know.

Cheer's DATA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:01 pm 
I think it should work as most batteries in my experience actually have a higher voltage than the stated one. For example i carry 12 volt batteries in my work van but most of these actually measure at 13 - 13.5 volts and I have found the same with other types of batteries. Hopefully this will be true of the batteries that Data has found and the actual voltage will be quite close to the 8.4 anyway.

Darren

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:35 pm 
I thought about running two of them in series after I made that posting. :)

My personal gun however is upgraded a little bit, so a 7v battery wouldn't cut it. Rev is correct about the slower ROF. I just got a cheap chinese G36k, and the gun ships with a tiny (and craptastic) 12v battery. I swapped in a fresh 8.4v mini battery I had on hand, and it was like running uphill through 6' tall molasses covered snowdrifts. ;)

It's been a while since I really gave this much though, but doesn't the voltage change under a peak load situation?

Meaning, if it states that it's 7v, meters at 10v, wouldn't the voltage under load be back down around 7v?

I didn't look at the specs of the battery beyond the voltage/amperage, but what size are the packs?

Russ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:50 pm 
Here is the link to the GP batteries website and here has all the information that you need.

www.gpbatteries.com.hk/pi...0L180R.pdf

Here a link to all GP batteries that are Lithium Lon.

www.gpbatteries.com.hk/ht...li_ion.asp

It a small battery and used on a head set video unit.
Here the link to that also.

www.cngtek.com/items/gadg...etail.htm.

This site also sell the Batteries for $24.99.

I hope this informations help you lot.

Cheer's DATA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:44 am 
Ok Marines, which one is the best battery for my Airsoft Tokyo Marui M41A Pulserifle with G&P kit? In your browser, just use Ctl-F and put Thompson in the search bar. www.007airsoft.com/products/htm/consumables.htm
Thanks.

Mike
A06/TQ0.0.22134E1
There is nothing more impressive than a bloody big Alien
wiggling on the end of a sharp stick!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:16 pm 
The batteries they suggest for a Thompson aren't necessarily the best for an M41.

Basically, you want an 8.4v pack, in the largest mah rating available in the size you choose.
If you're putting the battery in the launcher, or externally mounted, a Large size will do you.
If it's going in the stock, then Mini is the way to go.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:01 am 
Tnx Rev. My main reason for putting this together is for costuming, not skirmishing. If I can my PR to shoot, then that is a bonus.

Mike
A06/TQ0.0.22134E1
There is nothing more impressive than a bloody big Alien
wiggling on the end of a sharp stick!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:41 am 
They make mini (and AK batteries) with milliamps reaching about 1100 now. The "standard" size batteries are 600 mah, and are best avoided unless you only want to shoot a couple mags and recharge the battery.

Russ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:05 am 
( In gaming terms, an 1100mah battery will last between a half-day's and a whole day's skirmishing in a stock gun, depending on your level of triggerhappiness. :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:12 am 
Resin God.

Heres a quick look at what I consider a decent solution.

I took a battery pack and removed the shrink wrap and then re-configured it to be a stick with electrical tape. I used electrical tape so that the battery flexes in the middle, which is nescesarry for 'loading' it.

The battery protrudes into the loading chamber but for the most part the pump action still works, and once the battery is fully in place it cannot fall out.

It works with the shell lifter in place but honestly leaving it out is easier.

I think if you only plan on using your PR's airsoft capabilities every so often then leave the lifter in, that way when it's displayed it's there.

If not I say omit it, just keep prying eyes away... no one needs to be looking at your PR's underside anyway...perverts...

Here it is in a full on GL setup.

I'll do more of it installed when I have time.

Matt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:16 pm 

Service Number: A11/TQ0.0.62142E1
Reverend Scapegoat wrote:
The batteries they suggest for a Thompson aren't necessarily the best for an M41.

Basically, you want an 8.4v pack, in the largest mah rating available in the size you choose.
If you're putting the battery in the launcher, or externally mounted, a Large size will do you.
If it's going in the stock, then Mini is the way to go.

Thanks for the tip! I'm in the process of building a PR with the TM and G&P kit and in the market for the battery pack. I'll heed your advice!