The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Re: Views on Mauri Spas cage and grip
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:35 am 
Are you sure they are all wired in series?

I've never heard of any airsoft gun running at 14.4v.

Coincidentally, your 12x1.2v batteries ALSO could be wired to make an 1800mah 7.2v battery. Far more airsoft freindly if you ask me.

Alternatively, add another 2 cells and make it 8.4v

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:35 am 
Higher voltage batteries such as those are usually reserved for guns with extreme upgrades.

I wouldn't use a 7v bettery in any of my guns, even ones that are box stock. You'll get a lower rate of fire for one thing.

Remember, Voltage increases ROF, Amperage increases length of time you can shoot. Also, the more your gun is upgraded, usually, the higher voltage battery you'll need.

The PSG-1 for instance, if properly upgraded will require a minimum of 10v to operate, but most run with a 12v battery.

And also keep in mind that if your gun is upgraded that much, it decreases the operating life of that gun that much faster. This will eventually require you to buy new gears, motors, etc.

Rook

Visit Rook's Castle, I dare you! What's a matter McFly? Chicken?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:43 pm 
Since most airsoft sites only allow 500fps, or 327fps in the UK, that limits the upgrades you can do and, hence, the battery voltage required.

Only very few people I know use a 9.6v battery. Most use 8.4v. Using a 12v battery is prpbably the easiest way to ruin a gun in a very short time.
Even that is a long way from 14.4v. I'm still pretty sure you'll find that the 12 mini-cells mentioned above are wire in parallel and 2x6 batteries to give 7.2v.
Alternatively, if the cells aren't airsoft specific then I'd recommend wiring 2x 8 batteries to give 8.4 volts.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:27 pm 
Seeing as the pack in question was custom made my the member Im sure he has his facts straight.

While in the UK airsoft is limited in power you must remember that these forums are international in nature and the majority of the membership are US based where power limits are higher.

Ive known several UK players to use a 12v pack in their guns, they just had high speed helical gear upgrades. Not so much for power upgrades but for amazing speed of fire (coupled with their 5000bb electric feed box mags), they can put out almost a solid line of plastic.

I just stick to 8.4 in mine as I dont go for high rates of fire anyway, my bb's last longer that way :)

Phil

theForce is my ally, but a kick A$$ lightsaber helps........

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:23 pm 
Very true. If he built one using 12 cells to make 14.4v then I guess he knows what he's talking about.

I'd still suggest wiring 2x7 cells in series to make 8.4v with twice the longevity though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:54 am 
Just wondering...

Has anybody ever considered pulling a cheapo airsoft SPAS12 apart, reorienting the cage and then trying to fit the SPAS guts back into it?
I have no idea what this would involve, yet. If the cage interlocks with the action then I guess it's a non-starter but I just thought I'd ask.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:44 am 
Just wondering why you'd want to do that.

All the 'workings' on a spaz are not located in the cage at all. You can strip the cage off completely and it just reveals the 2 tubes (barrel and where the shells are housed on a real shottie), along with the sleeve the pump grip connects to.
Looks abit like most other pump actions with the cage removed.

I suppose you could turn it around but seeing as the back of the original cage where it connects to the shotguns receiver is bigger than the front of the cage where the barrel protrudes I dont think it would work too well. You would also have to modify/move the slots that allow the pump to slide freely from one end to the other.

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:20 pm 
I just thought it'd be cheaper than buying either a real or airsoft SPAS12 and a real or airsoft 870 then still being forced to do the same amount of filing and fitting.

Personally, I'd wonder why not try it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:07 pm 
I might give it a shot I got one of them 10 dollar deals laying around, gonna need major modding though, the actuall "pumping" lever is very far forward of the handgaurd, it will take alot of sanding and cutting to the back end of the shotty, and possibly a spring cut down, not to mention the cage will have to be gutted and glued back together as the screws will no longer work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:14 pm 
To be honest, I think I might hav a shot at building a PR, rather than the M60 I was planning on, so I'll be trying it myself too.

Whatever work needs to be done, surely it's only comparable with what you'd have to do after spending another $200 on a Maruzen 870, anyway?
That's the way I look at it, anyway.

Ok, so it isn't the "correct" internals but is an airsoft 870 really any more film-accurate?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:22 am 
Ok so let me check my understanding of what you want to do Snake.

You want to fit the internal workings (ie the firing mechanism etc) of the airsoft Spas inside the Spas cage section ?

Is that correct.

On both the Marui and cheap Zida versions the receiver as well as being the hight of the total cage is also the same width as the outside of the cage. To fit the internals inside you would have to completely remove the outside of the receiver which means the internals have nothing to mount to.
You would have to duplicate all the internal mouldings and fixtures to hold the cyclinder/spring etc all in place too.
Also the barrel length would only be a few centimetres long at most. At the end of the day its ALOT more work than making an 870 a bit thinner, which can be done relatively easily.

The question isnt one of accuracy its more a case of I dont think it will physically fit. Depends on if you want it to 'work' afterwards. I know its possible to use the pre existing barrel/shell tube as a basis to keep the pump grip slideable if you build a couple of internal brackets to support them as thats what I did on mine. While the eject chamber doesnt move with the pump it still allowed me to connect up a microswitch to trigger the grenade load sounds on my circuit board.

You could just do what a few others have and scratch build a pump mechanism too as another cheaper option.

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:42 am 
Well, I'll give it a go, all the same.

What's the worst thing that can happen?
I'll throw away the remains of the SPAS12 after butchering it, rather than before.

People told me I'd struggle to build a lasertag gun into a Glock 17 shell, but it turned out to be a piece of cake. You never know how these things are gonna turn out until you try them. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:21 am 
Well, good luck to you. It's never been achieved before to my knowledge, so we all look forward to seeing your results.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:46 pm 
Quote:
Quote:What's the worst thing that can happen?
I'll throw away the remains of the SPAS12 after butchering it, rather than before.

That's what I did. Throw away the butchered remains.
The only salvageable part after all was said and done was the pump grip. The body of the Spas 12, even after grinding most of it away was still too large to fit inside the plastic SPAS cage.

Rook

Visit Rook's Castle, I dare you! What's a matter McFly? Chicken?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:59 pm 
Quote:
Quote:Neophyl says the SPAS cage tapers toward the front.
When it's reversed to fit the PR, does the taper remain, making the muzzle end wider, or is the cage "adjusted"?

I can see how it'd be possible to do this with an airsoft SPAS, but not with a real cage. I've just never noticed that the PR forend gets bigger at the front. Mind you, I'm hopeless at details unless I'm specifically watching for something!

Hissing Sid...

[img]http://hooverae.com/upload/files/spas1.jpg[/img]
Notice how the top of the cage (A) slopes up at around point (B) into a higher plane of the cage (C)?:
[img]http://hooverae.com/upload/files/spas2.jpg[/img]

This is the taper that Neophyl was referring to. It is this transition from the lower level of the top of the cage up to the higher level that has most metal fabricators walk away from trying to duplcate the cage. The bend is simply to much trouble to reproduce.

It is also because of this tapering that we're all telling you that the Spas 12 receiver will not fit into the Spas 12 cage. This is because the wider end of the cage is where the receiver connects. The narrower end of the cage where you are suggesting that the spas 12 receiver be insert is entirely too narrow to fit in.

With respect, the vast majority of these questions can be answered if you take a closer and longer look at the reference pictures, of which, are all over the net. This is not to discourage you from asking questions, but to encourage you to do a deeper analysis of the info already available before you ask questions.
Edited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=uscmcorps>uscmCorps[/url] at: 4/21/04 5:01 pm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:07 am 
Quick question:

Neophyl says the SPAS cage tapers toward the front.
When it's reversed to fit the PR, does the taper remain, making the muzzle end wider, or is the cage "adjusted"?

I can see how it'd be possible to do this with an airsoft SPAS, but not with a real cage. I've just never noticed that the PR forend gets bigger at the front. Mind you, I'm hopeless at details unless I'm specifically watching for something! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:54 am 
If anybody had mentioned the word "step" when referring to the top of the SPAS cage I'm sure I would have understood more easily.
When I read that the SPAS cage gets "narrower" I assumed it was the width that was being referred to. It was the very fact that I have never seen a picture of a Pulse Rifle 'nade launcher which displayed a tapering cage that made me ask the question.

I am quite capable of obtaining information for myself when it is available. I'm sure that if this subject had been raised before then some kind soul would have directed me to the correct thread.

I still only had a straight-forward "I've tried it and it didn't work." response from Rook3. That's the kind of feedback I'm really interested in, rather than vague innuendo and speculation. Anybody can do that.
Edited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=hissingsid>Hissing Sid[/url] at: 4/23/04 7:32 pm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:32 am 
Sid, you’re not doing yourself too many favours here. Rook3, Neophyl and uscmCorps are probably the board’s top three individuals as regards aliens airsoft. They have been good enough to answer all your questions in this forum with prompt, accurate, helpful advice.

So far you’ve disparaged the work of one and the responses of another. Maybe you should start thanking and stop complaining.

<span style="color:black;font-family:FederationBold;font-size:medium;]Adapt-Overcome-Survive

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:09 pm 
Oh please!

All I did was respond to uscmCorps rather condescending suggestion that I pay more attention to the information which is already available.

I can't wait until my SPAS12 arrives now. You know, I'm gonna MAKE those bloody internals fit, if I have to re-manufacture every part, just to show you it can be done! ;) :)
Edited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=hissingsid>Hissing Sid[/url] at: 4/24/04 12:14 pm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:00 pm 
i said something about this in the "ready line" area...in reguads to the battery problem...a 9.6V 1700mah battery is said to work perfectly (from poweredge USA reps) the batteries are the size of AA's and shud fit in the shroud....up top in the handel area

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:09 am 
Quote:
Quote:I can't wait until my SPAS12 arrives now. You know, I'm gonna MAKE those bloody internals fit, if I have to re-manufacture every part, just to show you it can be done!

Funny, after re-reading this entire thread, which is pretty amusing at some points, we still havent' seen "the Spas12 parts shoved into the Spas12 cage"... almost a year and 4 months later. Go figure. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:05 pm 
Talk about holding a grudge... :lol: ;)

I think Mr Snake got deleted during the Great Hacker Purge of '05. ;)
Kevin

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TgDnAloXyJBkYBZV7s*Kj9!1Bc8b0FJ!WEmX8BpHJk8yRyABH697OsLy1Bm1knQrHcDDdHqDnRAmyoDB6vy6w!ASmCM57J8W6cyCxY8Y84TWwwCw7UVNAA/Burton%20004.JPG[/img]

"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."

Post subject: Re: FAQ: Using the Tokyo Marui Spas 12 in a Pulse Rifle...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:59 am 
I am going to reread this, but can you take a TM Spas 12 and make it a working airsoft GL for the PR? (If you don't need the space for the battery)
What are you doing with a gun in space?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:08 pm 
Do you mean a TM Spas CAGE or Spas Shotgun?

No, you cannot cut down the actual Spas 12 shotgun enough to have it either fit, or work inside of a Spas cage.

Sure would make things easier if you could though.

Russ

"Time has little to do with infinity and jelly doughnuts."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:02 pm 
I really wish we didn't loose that awesome thread during the hack. :(