The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: can you upgrade a springer?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:30 am 
i don't plan to go into battle with it but can a cheap airsoft springer be upgraded with say a stronger spring?

Pain can be avoided by not caring

Post subject: Re: can you upgrade a springer?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:50 am 
if you can find a stronger spring that fits, shure ..
"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...For he today that sheds his blood with me
shall be my brother."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:27 pm 
My first question would be: why would you want to?

Generally, even "expensive" spring guns are still cheap. Cheaply made, cheap to produce, cheap to replace when they wear out/break.

Usually people save their money for upgrades and put them into gas pistols or AEGs.

With the exception of a few bolt action sniper rifles, you usually can't buy "off the rack" upgrades for cheap springers.
Most likely you'll need to take the gun apart and bring the spring into your local hardware store and try to find something that will work. Or in some cases you can add shims behind the spring to make the spring tension "higher."

What gun were you looking at?

Rook

Visit Rook's Castle, I dare you! What's a matter McFly? Chicken?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:31 pm 
the 870.... i know a site selling a chep spring version that i'd hope i'd be able to upgrade the FPS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:23 am 
Okay, the first question now should be: are you thinking of using this in the GL section of a pulse rifle?

If so, my suggestion is... don't. :)

I'm not the first person who's tried this, and everyone I've talked to about doing so has said the same things. It doesn't function well enough for all the work you'll put into it, and it's actually quite fragile.

The problem with trying to upgrade a spring shotgun is that unlike a gas shotgun, all the power comes from the spring.

When you c0ck a gas shotgun, you open the action allowing the gas to flow through the shell (in many cases) and fire the gun. In a spring shotgun c0cking the shotgun action is what allows the gun to become ready to shoot, and there's a LOT of pressure on the plastic components that retain that stiff spring. Adding a stronger spring will eventually lead to part wear and breakage. This is also true in many AEG upgrades.

The Zida shotguns for instance are TERRIBLE quality. The plastic is thin and not terribly robust for skirmishing. In fact I stopped selling them as a retailer due to the Quality Control/durability issues. Well, that and the fact the shot like crud. :)

If you want to try it, feel free! And if you find a company who makes a decent quality 870, inexpensively, that you can modify to work, more power to you! Keep us informed as to how you make your mods and how the project turns out.

Are you thinking about the Maruzen spring powered M870 or a different one?

Rook

Visit Rook's Castle, I dare you! What's a matter McFly? Chicken?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:22 pm 
sorry for the delay, the site doesn't give the name of the maker...but i honestly don't think it is a high grade springer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:49 am 
Your best bet, then, is to forget putting a more powerful spring in it, and simply give the one that's in there a slight stretch.
My Dong San Spas12 was a hell of a lot better ( Didn't have a chrono at the time, so no idea of exact FPS ) after I stretched the spring by about 20%.

It's not an exact science, though, so do it a little at a time...