The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Project Smartgun :)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:21 pm 
I've been working on this for a while now, and I thought it was about time to let y'all see the results so far.

Now, I know that the screen smartgun is based upon an MG42 machine gun. You can't get those in Airsoft.
to convert a de-ac or have a shell made is also somewhat out of my price range ( And I need my gun to be RELIABLE. )

So my plan?
Take one Marui G3SG1...
Extend and bulk out the barrel.
Replace the foregrip with a RIS rail system.
Mount a side-handle onto the left RIS rail.
Mount custom-made "supports" onto both RIS rails.
Convert a hi-cap magazine from clockwork to electric-winding, expand the size of the hopper, and wire up a switch to be mounted on the side-handle to a headphone socket to enable removal of the mag if need be.

So far I have the mag ( I got hold of a custom-built dual-mag system that is in essence 2 hicaps clamped together, the internals of one replaced with a small motor. ), and today I got the foregrip and first stage of the barrel mods.

Post subject: Re: Project Smartgun :)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:26 pm 
[img]http://www.scapegoat.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/G3Foregrip.jpg[/img]The foregrip ( With temporary RIS Vertical Grip standing in for a sidehandle... )
Edited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=reverendscapegoat>Reverend Scapegoat[/url] at: 11/26/03 7:26 am

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:24 pm 
[img]http://www.scapegoat.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/G3barrel.jpg[/img]

The barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:29 pm 
[img]http://www.scapegoat.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/G3Rearview.jpg[/img]

The only view you want of this thing if you're at FireFight with me ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:36 pm 
[img]http://www.scapegoat.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/G3TopAndSide.jpg[/img]

Last pic of this stage...
The gun as a whole.

It's about 10" longer than a standard G3, but the actual barrel doesn't go all the way to the tip. That'll be rectified soon too :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:28 pm 
Actually I heard a gas MG-42 was made a few years ago. But if your going to use a gun other than an MG-42, the M-60 would probably be a good gun to use. Well cosmetically speaking. I don't know how reliable it is (it's gravity fed.), but it looks very similar to it and the real steel M-60 was based off of the MG-42. Either way, I can't wait to see how it turns out. Good luck.;)
------------------------------
M-40 grenade: $30

Pulse Rifle: $2000

Tactical Smart Missles: $10,000

Sulaco Full of Badass Colonial Marines: $700,000,000

Kicking some alien ass: Priceless

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:11 pm 
MG42s definitely exist in Airsoft. My team has 2 :D

And with the help of Jesse DeGraff's Smartgunner kit he is producing, I plan on turning a MG42 into a Smartgun!
Ryan Chorzempa
Veritas necnon decus, etiam valedico.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:58 pm 
Well, OK, lemme rephrase that:

Off-the-peg, easilly-available AEG MG42s don't exist! :P

The M60 even is £600+, with r.o.f. and range no higher than any other AEG out-the-box.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:07 pm 
Shoei did an airsoft MG42... but it was gas powered. The AEG MG42s you see are modified from the shoei version, or various other sources.

The problem with many AEGs in regards to their usage in a smartgun is the fact that the MG42 used in the smartgun had it's pistol grip removed. This is an issue because the motor for many AEGs, is located in the pistol grip, and you can't just relocate it. So, if you use an AEG such as any of the H&K variants, M16/M4 variants, AUGs, or even AKs, they all will have their pistol grip sticking out the side/bottom.

One viable AEG for this project that immediately comes to mind is the P90. The main issue the P90 has is it's high capacity magazines are problematic. However, there are always ways around that. Aside from that, the rest of the gun is pretty sound. If we can build a MG42 styled receiver around it, we'd be good to go with minium modifications.

-Alex

"The M41-A. When you absolutely, positively have to kill every mofo in the room. Accept no substitutes."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:48 pm 
Alex, let me know when you decide to start that project. ;)

Say, doesn't Matt have molds for an MG42? :)

Rook

Visit Rook's Castle, I dare you! What's a matter McFly? Chicken?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:25 pm 
Yep...so does Jesse..:twisted:

I'm waiting to see his and he's waiting to see mine I bet..LOL

Oh I know..you could use one of GA's Smartguns...:roll: ...:lol:

I'm really trying to work out some fragility issues on mine...The strongest resin I got still isn't strong enough IMO...I may switch to metal filled epoxy (so a friend has suggested) I'm waiting on a sample. I just hope it isn't to brittle. I'm trying to get a compromise between brittle and flexible. That's why its taking so long. I want it to be right...and expensive...:P

<M>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:27 pm 
Quote:
Quote:I'm really trying to work out some fragility issues on mine...

Let me have it cast in bronze for ya Matt ! Course it could be done -- probably with no promblems at all. But it would be a hell of a trick trying to sneak it pass these Communist Customs. Not to mention also that you could then probably drop a bolt in it and make it go straight away in the resulting bronze cast. ;)
"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...For he today that sheds his blood with me
shall be my brother."Edited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=menatarms>MENATARMS[/url] at: 11/27/03 3:44 pm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:43 pm 
Actualy I would like to have the reciever cast in metal so that I can complete the master that I am using for the '42 into a legal display gun.
It would need to be hollow though but none of the interior elements have to be present just the outside needs to be correct.

<M>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:48 am 
Matt -- I'll be talking to ya real soon regarding ...;)
"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...For he today that sheds his blood with me
shall be my brother."