The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: two guns into one?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:18 am 
i got a question to a master gun builder

how hard would it be to use the gear box of say a M16 into the springer shell of the L80?

i was told Airsoft club pretty much does the same thing for ther custom built AEG L80's

and i want to do a Dog Soldiers suit one of these days

cheers

Pain can be avoided by not caring

Post subject: Re: two guns into one?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:34 am 
Noobie -- this has already been done. Mostly with Korean L86 models. Some with the rare MGC L86 and L86 Commandos wich are real kewl and real expensive ...
"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...For he today that sheds his blood with me
shall be my brother."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:03 pm 
as i was saying AS Club has it for sale

but i figire it it can be gun
250 for a AEG M16 (which one i don't know as of yet)
on L85A1 off of ebay, can get that at low at 30 bucks

but is it as simple as that? strip the gear out of a M16 and stuff em into the gutted L85A1 shell?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:18 pm 
In theory yes. But I wouldn't recommend it. Most of your el cheapo plastic guns won't stand up to skirmishing nor the stress from having additional weight from the gear box, battery, etc. My guess is that you would spend time (and money) in converting an el cheapo, then have the whole gun fall apart piece by piece. I wouldn't do it ..
"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...For he today that sheds his blood with me
shall be my brother."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:21 am 
The biggest hurdle to that sort of conversion is the magwell. The magazine well on the el cheapo's arent paticularly accurate and even on the more expensive ones theres often a fair amount of rigging needed to make the 2 different models 'fit' properly.

That and jury rigging fixings internally to hold your gearbox, hop unit and barrel all in place sucurely.

theForce is my ally, but a kick A$$ lightsaber helps........

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:04 pm 
The SA80's in Dog Soldiers were training excercise blank firers. They have to use the Special Op's MP5's to fight the werewolves. The Sarge actually says 'Ditch the 80's!'
Birdie@cwcom.net

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:04 am 
yes, i am aware of that sad fact, Sarge had the MP5 when he was shived by the Lycan

however...i have used both MP5 AEg and L80 Springer...i liked the L80 better

i don't plan to use this converted L80 in a AS battle (seeing how the neariest field is 3 hours away)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:12 am 
One of the players here in MN has spent a lot of time and energy to do exactly what you want. He's using a Korean L85 and using Marui parts. From what I understand it's a pretty rough conversion to do. You'll likely also have a LOT into the project when done. It really depends on "how much is too much" to spend on a project. That, and how badly you _really_ want one.

Rook

Visit Rook's Castle, I dare you! What's a matter McFly? Chicken?Edited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=rook3>Rook 3[/url] at: 11/24/03 8:49 pm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:38 am 
For that matter -- one of my surplus bud's in HK has real surplus L-85/86 forearms and optical sights if you're really into this. But I would do this only to MGC or custom L-85/86 (with metal receiver and everything metal. YES, it's been done too!).
shall be my brother."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:44 am 
wow, now that IS cool

i am already stretched thin with mony between my three suits and X-mas coming up but can i hear the cost of the pieces?

and Rook, can i get your Friends E-mail so i can talk to him about his converted L85A1?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:51 am 
You've got a PM.

Rook

Visit Rook's Castle, I dare you! What's a matter McFly? Chicken?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:03 am 
thank you Rook, E-mail was sent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:40 am 
*Returns to the fold* :)

I know of a few folk with airsoft SA80 / L85s ( Same gun.. ).
Almost all of them are in fact constructed from FAMAS internals, rather than M16 - the FAMAS is another bullpup ( Mag behind grip ) configured rifle and the job's not THAT hard to pull off ( If you know what you're doing. )

I'll ask around, see if anyone's doing a batch right now, and get back to y'all.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:15 am 
thank you Reverend Scapegoat

i talked to Rooks Friend and a Friend of mine and both said Famas also (i wonder where i got M16 from)

i was told to buy a Academy L80...is this a special kind?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:37 am 
Academy makes AEGs (kinda of second rate). Hong Kong guys, who are heavily into playing UK Army, upgrade the internals to Marui.
shall be my brother."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:12 pm 
Again, close :)

Academy actually make a ( Pretty damn good for a springer ) spring L85, and various third parties will mount new internals.
There IS one available boxed, sometimes attibuted to Academy but the internals are woeful ( Early versions had the gears mounted directly onto the inside of the reciever! ).

You're better to seek out one that's been custom-made by someone who skirmishes themselves, and knows what the gun needs to be capable of.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:51 pm 
The only "good" thing about the Academy guns (spring AND AEGs) are the price. But as someone I know likes to say, "Buy cheap, get cheap and breaks like cheap."

Having said that, Academy is the only "modern" producer of the L85 AEG, but they might not even do those any more.

Rook

Visit Rook's Castle, I dare you! What's a matter McFly? Chicken?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:53 am 
talking with rooks friend, he used the famas parts to make the L80 better

barrel with hop up, the gear box with a higher fps etc etc

thanks for your help guys