The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: The Ambush by MAA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:31 am 
- The Ambush -

(A page from MAA¡¦s little Airsoft diary ¡K)

I¡¦ve been shot and killed 4 times today and my team eliminated twice before they found me. That makes 12 total deaths for me in the last three weekends in a roll, without a kill. Well, earlier tonight, I shot a guy when he exposed his back to me from 30 meters away, while he ran up to one of my teammate¡¦s barricade and shot him point blank over the top. But since the enemy didn¡¦t flinch, I guess I could have missed.

So the time has come for tonight¡¦s last game.

Thought I try a new strategy: this time instead of moving up and into enemy territory, I¡¦ll just hang back. Way back. And let the suckers come to me.

But 5 minutes into this game and I¡¦m regretting it already. Insects are eating me alive. Mosquitoes are biting any part of exposed flesh, and tiny little fire ants are crawling up my boots and under my pant legs. Oh, the agony, but I guess if real life grunts long time before me had to bear 1 or 2 tours of this same tropical environment with their actual lives hanging on the line, I could at least put up with a half-hour of this for the sake of fun and games.

Talk about my boots. Take an inventory of my gear: 1 pair of made in China Magnum boots (feel more like sneakers), a set of East German rain pattern cammies and matching M42 cap, set of ¡§VN era¡¨ nylon Y-harness, patrol belt, and M-16 ammo pouches that turned out later to be made in 1986, a pair of gardening gloves. My weapon: 1 borrowed TM CAR-15 standard power, with a hi-cap 9.6 volt battery set that came with my M-4 (out being modified to 1.9J at that time) that were too big for the CAR forearm, and therefore simply wrapped around the outter barrel with black electric tape. I loaded my mags with 0.25 gram BBs, figuring on the extra juice can push out the heavier BBs and give more impact power with the greater mass (probably the reason why I had missed my first kill at 30m).

The humidity and heat are punishing even at night. We¡¦ve been out at this small field (100 meters square) for close to 8 hours. So, the body has taken a beating. Very thirsty too.

I hear guys getting eliminated on both sides. My side¡¦s been losing all day. So, I guess this game is going the same way. By that theory ¡V someone will be coming upon the deep end real soon.

Sure enough ¡K flash lights from someone¡¦s weapon. He¡¦s about 20m away. I¡¦m not sure he¡¦s coming towards my corner though. If he doesn¡¦t, I¡¦m gonna have to go after him. Flash lights going on again. The sucker is getting closer now. C'MON IN ¡K OLD MAA IS WAITING FOR YA!

And ALA Charlie Sheen in "Platoon" ¡V while in my sitting, armed, and ready position: the enemy¡¦s silhouette appears in slow motion. I held absolutely still, because if I move just a hair surely he would notice me. He¡¦s only 10 meters away. I was certain he would pick out my form out of the darkness ¡V but the Airsoft god was on my side this time. He doesn¡¦t see that a man sitting less than 8 meters away has him in the cross-hairs. He looks to his right and pushes the button on his Surefire light. WRONG MOVE SUCKER! PLINK PLINK PLINK PLINK PLINK. I see him lowering his full-metal and fully accessorized M4 with slumped shoulders as if to say ¡§Ah, Damn! How did I miss that guy?¡¨.

Then in my excitement over my first confirmed kill, I plink him a few more times just for good measure, and the guy says in perfect English (he had figured out that it was the guy from Hawaii who had shot him): ¡§ Hey! You got me already. Damn it!¡¨. Lucky it wasn¡¦t my 1.9J firing M4 that I was using tonight.

What satisfaction! Way better than fishing. I say to myself: Welldone, my man. You are now officially a member of the exciting sport of AS skirmishing.

/MAA at a skirmish on Cobra's Paintball & Airsoft field in 1999, just outside of Bangkok, Thailand.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...For he today that sheds his blood with me
shall be my brother."Edited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=menatarms>MENATARMS[/url] at: 12/3/03 3:59 am

Post subject: Re: The Ambush by MAA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:54 pm 
hehehe

do this, tuck your pants legs into your boots, you will not have to worry about anything sneaking up your leg you leg (and trust me i've had ants crwal and bite me where no ant should be)

the only thing i've ever had to worry about is the water coming in through the "vents" on the bottem of my boots

Pain can be avoided by not caring

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:18 pm 
You can also keep bugs out by blousing your pant legs with those niflt elastic ties, or by using the straps built into the cuffs of your BDU pants.

Rook

Visit Rook's Castle, I dare you! What's a matter McFly? Chicken?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:35 am 
Actually, I had them pant legs tucked even back then. I last played in the same field last February. I had G.I. socks, current desert boots, and a pair of VN ERDL pants with ties. I had tighten everything before I played, and when I got home -- I found sting marks up around my knee caps and on the back of my legs. It's the particular species my friends -- they're extra small but pack a particularly stingy bite. What pisses me off is that you try your best to keep those pesky pests out in the first place and they wind up biting you because the little bastards get frustrated on account that they can't find their way out of your pant legs !!!!!!:evil:
"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...For he today that sheds his blood with me
shall be my brother."Edited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=menatarms>MENATARMS[/url] at: 12/3/03 6:39 pm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:31 am 
if thats the case.....nuke your boots and lower pants with bug spray...it's what i'd probbly do

Pain can be avoided by not caring