The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Questions on Snow Wolf Pulse Rifle
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:02 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Service Number: A02/TQ2.0.52141E1
Hello All,

A change in career, the prospect of weekends off and more disposable income means I'm now going to be putting together a Colonial Marines Rifleman representation... I'm looking forward to it!

I want a decent Pulse Rifle and the Snow Wolf seems to get good reviews... Is this the best thing 'out of the box'?

I don't like the fact the magazine base is not actually attached to the magazine itself... It seems crap that you have to remove it before removing the mag...

Is there a way to attach the two? I presume it would not interfere with the battery for the ammo counter...

The other thing is that I'm not an air soft user... So would the HCG Pulse be better?

I have a firearms certificate... For WW2 reenactment... So would that suffice for VCRA and getting a pulse with a green shroud?

Any help and advice gratefully received...

"Errr... Roger that's a 2-1-6..."

Post subject: Re: Questions on Snow Wolf Pulse Rifle
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:07 pm 

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12132E1
Hello there!

Welcome to the world of buying a Pulse Rifle and the decisions to be made!!

There are several choices out there for a PR replica. One of the first questions you need to answer is "what do I want to do with it"? Do I want to just hang it on a wall and look at it? Do I want to play airsoft with it? Do I want something that makes noises?

Then you need to ask yourself "how much do I want to spend"? You can go as little as a few hundred for a solid resin prop that does nothing and then go all the way up to several thousand for a real steel screen accurate replica.

Then, do I want a finished replica or build one myself. How much effort do I want to put into it?

The quickest and easiest PR yes, would be the Snow Wolf. It's a decent replica with a somewhat functional counter (as long as your firing BB's). It does light up, but doesn't count unless your shooting BB's. The rear of the shroud is squared instead of rounded like the real prop. And the separate mag base like you mentioned. However, member Noble on here sells a mag base insert that attaches the two. He may be out of them right now, but you may still be able to get one.

For the lowest cost you could build and paint a Spulse rifle made by Spat. It will be solid resin and really looks the part. I would stay away from any other resin PR you may find on EBay for a cheaper price. They are likely poor recasts.
http://www.spatcave.com/spulse.htm

The HCG is a good wall hanger and benefits from having aluminum shrouds and a static light up counter. However they had a lot of quality control issues and many, many were returned for drooping grenade launchers.
http://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Collect ... roduct_top

You could also then source all your parts for a build yourself version. Tracking down all the parts from various people may take a while and putting them altogether will test your buidology. But it would be something you did yourself.
http://www.therpf.com/f9/real-steel-pul ... ress-9472/

So, lots of options out there. What do you want to do?

Last edited by robiwon on Sat May 11, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:11 pm 

ilovethecorps wrote:
I have a firearms certificate... For WW2 reenactment... So would that suffice for VCRA and getting a pulse with a green

If you can prove you are part of a reenactment group then yes. Otherwise an FAC is not enough on it's own

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:14 pm 

I want a decent Pulse Rifle and the Snow Wolf seems to get good reviews... Is this the best thing 'out of the box'?

Yes, it's a damed good little rifle. I wouldn't go as far as 'best' out of the box, because it's pretty much a product on it's own in terms of 'out of the box'.
The rifle is certainly useable out of the box. Could do with a spring upgrade, depending on whether yours comes downgraded or not. The battery and charger in the box are junk and need to be replaced. But with a few tweaks, it's brilliant.

I don't like the fact the magazine base is not actually attached to the magazine itself... It seems crap that you have to remove it before removing the mag...
Is there a way to attach the two? I presume it would not interfere with the battery for the ammo counter...

Yes, it is a bit of a flaw in the design, and there are ways to alter that. Noble does a mag base conversion I think which you should be able to find in the PX. There is also the option of going to Mid-Caps and removing the need for winding.
And no, it won't interfere with the counter battery. This is held inside the mag-well.

The other thing is that I'm not an air soft user... So would the HCG Pulse be better?

I've never had my paws on the HCG, but from what I understand the HCG is resin, and expensive for what it is. The Snow Wolf is nothing short of a bargain.

I have a firearms certificate... For WW2 reenactment... So would that suffice for VCRA and getting a pulse with a green shroud?

Having a firearms certificate means nothing when it comes to purchasing RIF's. But your status as a Re-enactor, should hold you in good stead and provide you a defence under the regulation. You'd need to provide your supplier with proof of your membership within a re-enactment group. But if you can do this, I shouldn't envisage any problems.

Any help and advice gratefully received...

Pleasure.

http://www.kgbairsoft.com/wordpress

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:17 pm 

Interestingly, I've just thought.....

If you didn't want to use the rifle for airsofting, then you could glue a rod to the loading nozzle, extending up the barrel, and have it just the right length to activate the counter sensor (right at the end of the barrel) and thus have a working counter when you pull the trigger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:11 pm 

Chef, nice concept, but it wont work. The trigger actually has nothing to do with how the counter works. The counter works by a BB breaking a beam between an IR Emitter and an IR Receiver LED located in the end of the barrel. The trigger just releases the BB down the barrel.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:21 pm 
Unfit For Human Consumption

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.52150E1
robiwon wrote:
Chef, nice concept, but it wont work. The trigger actually has nothing to do with how the counter works. The counter works by a BB breaking a beam between an IR Emitter and an IR Receiver LED located in the end of the barrel. The trigger just releases the BB down the barrel.

He means to use the rod to break the light beam I think...

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:51 pm 

The counter wont work until the receiver LED re-acquires the signal from the emitter LED. Blocking the beam with a rod will cause the counter to drop one and then no more. Moving the trigger, without shooting a BB, has no effect on the IR LEDs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:58 pm 

What Chef means is attaching a rod to the air-nozzle at the face of the gearbox. When the gearbox cycles the tappet-plate pulls the nozzle back in order to load a round into the chamber. So if a rod were attached to this it too would move backwards/forwards

That's what he meant

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:02 pm 

Ahhhh, I see what you mean now. Yeah that probably would work. I'd be afraid of launching said rod though.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:09 pm 
MODEL 120-A2

Service Number: A04/TQ0.0.72178E5
Rewiring the trigger so it counts down independent of actually firing is not a big mod, if you don't want to use it as an airsoft. I know I did mine that way, and I think Robi did his similar. Mainly a matter of soldering the trigger wires into the counter circuit.

Charlie

"There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. On penalty of total forfeiture of shares. No money."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:13 pm 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32151E1
Yeah, that would work.
Hell, you could even give it a working ejector port using a similar tweak!

Props, cosplay pieces, upcycled ornamentation, and miscellanea;
For the discerning survivor of the apocalypse.
Steve Fletcher : Maker, Scavenger, and Junksmith.
linktr.ee/wastelandworkshop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:19 pm 

Proph - Me... same wavelength you see!

There's be no issue with launching the rod, because if the bond broke, then all it would do is probably just slide back inside the air nozzle.

Admittedly, the extra weight attached to the air nozzle is more likely to break the tappet plate, but hey, you can't have a good idea without some potential flaws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:17 am 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Dear All,

Thank you for your advice...

I'm thinking that for the price, I'll go Snow Wolf and take things from there...

I suppose I could just get a Snow Wolf with a blue shroud and redo it Brown Bess? Either way, I can obtain one of these PRs...

I'm looking forward to getting the repro uniforms and badging them up... And adding detail, detail detail...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:19 am 

I went that route, just because it's cheaper.

But being a re-enactor. you should be OK to purchase a green one.

Quote:
Specific defences applying to the offence under s. 36

(1)It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under section 36 in respect of any conduct to show that the conduct was for the purpose only of making the imitation firearm in question available for one or more of the purposes specified in subsection (2).
(2)Those purposes are—
(a)the purposes of a museum or gallery;
(b)the purposes of theatrical performances and of rehearsals for such performances;
(c)the production of films (within the meaning of Part 1 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (c. 48)_see section 5B of that Act);
(d)the production of television programmes (within the meaning of the Communications Act 2003 (c. 21)_see section 405(1) of that Act);
(e)the organisation and holding of historical re-enactments organised and held by persons specified or described for the purposes of this section by regulations made by the Secretary of State;
(f)the purposes of functions that a person has in his capacity as a person in the service of Her Majesty.

Section E in Bold....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:51 pm 

I would NOT attach a rod to the air nozzle. Yes the chances of launching it are slim but there a much better ways of doing it and do you really want to take the risk of harpooning someone , read the thread on here about the sound board install

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:13 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
Chef wrote:
I've never had my paws on the HCG, but from what I understand the HCG is resin...

Some parts are resin, some are plastic and some are metal, including the shrouds.
It's a heavy SOB. :shock:

Sounds like the Snow Wolf or other airsoft PRs are more what you're after. :)

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:06 am 

For a long time the only PR's out there were real steel, the G&P kit, full resin, SDS PR, and Matsu's PR parts. The G&P kit I think was looked down upon because, out of the lot, it was not as accurate as any of the others. Plus, the G&P PR was not cheap. At the time there was only the Marui Thompson to use as a base, and it was $300-$400 on it's own, plus another $400 for the G&P kit, if you could find it in stock!

But then comes the Snow Wolf PR. At a price that's about 1/4 that of a full G&P. There was suddenly a flood of Snow Wolf's being bought up. While still not as accurate as the others, you just can't beat the price, and that has made it extremely popular and more importantly, more acceptable by the masses.

You can't go wrong with a Snow Wolf. Just buy a better battery and a charger if you order one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:28 am 
MODEL 120-A2

Service Number: A04/TQ0.0.72178E5
I agree that the battery and charger that comes with the Snow Wolf is the (pretty standard) total crap and useless. However, if I read the original post right, he's not looking to actually use it for airsofting at all. If that is the case, I wouldn't waste the money upgrading the battery and whatnot if it will never be used. If you DO plan on airsofting with it, definitely worth the money to upgrade.

Charlie

"There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. On penalty of total forfeiture of shares. No money."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:03 am 

Absolutely right Sgt Kitten! I forgot that point, I just got caught up in the moment! LoL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:28 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Guys - as an update on this, I now have a G&P kit built around a TM Thompson as a stop gap... It's my first PR and I'm over the moon with it... Just thinking about sling attachment improvements and replacing the shotgun shell in the plastic SPAS cage with an aluminium M40 grenade in the short term.

I'm wanting an Airsoft full metal hero... Eventually... So the TM THOMPSON will do as the basis for that... I have a load of SD STUDIOS parts on order and will also go for Matsuo (HCG) type shrouds...

I've got a Maruzen M870 to put on my SPAS cage as well...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:36 am 

Been trawling the forum for a good while now but haven’t found an answer my self so going ask , are their replacement base plates available anywhere ? I have a snow wolf and a couple of extra mags for it so ideally I’d like a base plate for each one and hopefully be able to wind the mag as well . Please can anyone help a new recruit out ? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:39 am 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
I think Noble (that’s his username on here) made some that have a hole in the bottom for high cap wheels, I may be wrong!

I’ve never seen any official spare bases over here in the U.K. though

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:07 am 

Druid799 wrote:
Been trawling the forum for a good while now but haven’t found an answer my self so going ask , are their replacement base plates available anywhere ? I have a snow wolf and a couple of extra mags for it so ideally I’d like a base plate for each one and hopefully be able to wind the mag as well . Please can anyone help a new recruit out ? :wink:

Evike.com sells the base plates.

What I did was just a magazine shaped hole through the bottom of one of my base plates, so I can slip that mag through it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:58 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Noble made an adapter for the mag bases so they could be slipped on and off. There wasn’t a hole to wind the high cap Mags.