The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: bringing it all together,
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:57 pm 

hi guy's do you have an airsoft ukcm group ,I have been trying to rally people with spat body armour and airsoft pulse I feel there is quite a few of you who like me have paid a lot of cash out on this stuff to lie idle ,,I have started a group on facebook ALIENS COLONIAL MARINES AIRSOFT GROUP ,my dream like so many who have made this commitment is to put my outlay to good use and have some fun and bring it into one house if poss,would like to here from anyone who is interested ,visit us on fb and post your pics or anything you think relevant ,looking to see you there all welcome ! :D :delta: crowhawk signing off,,,,,,,,,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:01 pm 

Leicestershire huh!

I was born there. Which site do you go to up that way?

http://www.kgbairsoft.com/wordpress

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:47 pm 

hi chef ,we are in the process of forming at the min need members ,when we have a kitted squad we will then look for a site pref midlands area (indoors) so we can battle no matter when in the yr come rain or shine ,we also would like to battle against other clubs,please visit our page on fb ,thaks for your intrest bro ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:05 pm 

If you're Leics based, there is the Embassy in Leicester itself, that's indoors.
Treebeard runs it as part of First and Only.

Outdoor sites, there is Grange Farm at Desford. Run by Merlin and the crowd (good chaps there...)

A lot of it depends where about in Leics you are based. If it's north, then it might be better looking at some of the Notts based stuff.

There is the Asylum (indoor/outdoor) at Kidderminster, but that might be a bit of a haul.

I think the likelihood of me joining you is slim (I'm based in the far reaches of Cornwall...) So unless I'm up visiting folks/mates then I'm not realisticallt going to be about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:23 pm 

thank you chef, for the much welcomed info,i already know of grange farm looks good will try it soon ,if my lucks in and this enters the airsoft arena as I would like then hopefully it will spread to more groups up and down the country ,like I said I didn't spend a lot of money on kit for nothing to sit in a box under my stairs "sigh" well bro thanks again stay frosty.....

Post subject: Re: bringing it all together,
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:36 pm 
Unfit For Human Consumption

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.52150E1
We have a team of three that play monthly at The Mall reading. Pulses and bdus with badges but no armour as of yet, we're waiting to see what happens with this resin based UK armour that might be on the cards as we want something that can take some punishment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:24 pm 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32151E1
If you get it together, and fancy a road trip for some woodland action on a huuuge site in Scotland, I know a place ;)

Props, cosplay pieces, upcycled ornamentation, and miscellanea;
For the discerning survivor of the apocalypse.
Steve Fletcher : Maker, Scavenger, and Junksmith.
linktr.ee/wastelandworkshop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:16 pm 

And Likewise if you fancy going somewhere warm and sunny!! (mostly).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:55 pm 

thanks guy's,@fireball iv sent messages to the guy who said he was willing to make the armour here but no reply as yet and its been two months so don't hold ya breath ,,am going to be in talks with another company very soon as they have emailed me on the subject of armour made here ,you are welcome to join us ,and some of us have already discussed the mall as a venue or visit ,also iv been told that spat armour is ok for airsoft so don't rule it out ,,join us on fb ,,thank you again crowhawk

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:58 pm 
Miscreant and Foukérre

crowhawk wrote:
thanks guy's,@fireball iv sent messages to the guy who said he was willing to make the armour here but no reply as yet and its been two months so don't hold ya breath

*Blink*
Hm?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:01 pm 

crowhawk wrote:
thanks guy's,@fireball iv sent messages to the guy who said he was willing to make the armour here but no reply as yet and its been two months so don't hold ya breath ,,am going to be in talks with another company very soon as they have emailed me on the subject of armour made here ,you are welcome to join us ,and some of us have already discussed the mall as a venue or visit ,also iv been told that spat armour is ok for airsoft so don't rule it out ,,join us on fb ,,thank you again crowhawk

Not sure who's armour you mean, but Radion is looking at making some resin armour very soon and was garnering interest on the Base PX just last week...

Spat armour will take airsoft rounds, he discusses it on his site, and it can maintain sustained fire. I just don't fancy having to repair cracks in the plastic from running into people/walls/doors (!). Ideally, I'm after something that can take some harder punishment, so I'm interested to see what these others have to offer before I go buying 3 sets. If nothing special materialises, then I will gladly get Spats, and will just have to be careful with it.

I'm not on Facebook I'm afraid mate, so I'll stick to going with my squad for now. Cheers though

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:08 pm 
Pint of AB negative please

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.12136E1
Scapey wrote:
crowhawk wrote:
thanks guy's,@fireball iv sent messages to the guy who said he was willing to make the armour here but no reply as yet and its been two months so don't hold ya breath

*Blink*
Hm?

Agreed, to whom are you referring?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:23 pm 
Miscreant and Foukérre

I actually thought it was Chef who was making the armour, and Radion was just asking who was interested?
Will have to look back and see... But yeah, who did you PM and get no reply from, Crowhawk?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:53 pm 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

The_Fireball wrote:
We have a team of three that play monthly at The Mall reading. Pulses and bdus with badges but no armour as of yet, we're waiting to see what happens with this resin based UK armour that might be on the cards as we want something that can take some punishment.

How much does all this cost, incidentally?
As a sinful denizen of Reading itself and being vaguely familiar with the Mall of which you speak, I find this of potential interest...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:53 pm 

Not me Guv'ner. You've got nothing on me!

I can do it, and I can do a set of GRP stuff (although I've not gone down that route with my CM stuff)....

But I am not the man CrowHawk speaks of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:10 pm 

sorry guy's the armour I was referring to is a guy in Coventry who dose armour for role play ,I had a word with him about making marine armour and he assured me he would ,the plastic he use's is battle hardened to take sword blows full on iv seen it and its perfect for what is required ,but I haven't herd from him ,iv sent him messages and no reply .sorry for the mix up .but I will be in talks with another company that is interested ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:20 pm 
Miscreant and Foukérre

"Battle hardened" plastic, huh?
Interesting - Sounds like sales BS to me, though.

Got a link to his website?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:26 pm 

Ttaskmaster wrote:
The_Fireball wrote:

How much does all this cost, incidentally?
As a sinful denizen of Reading itself and being vaguely familiar with the Mall of which you speak, I find this of potential interest...

£36 a time without membership and with your own kit, about £70 a pop with a rental gun (which is a G36). As I said, we are down there at least once monthly or more, so the more the merrier :o They've aptly nicked named us "the Aliens boys"! PM me if you want more details/times etc

Chef wrote:
Not me Guv'ner. You've got nothing on me!

I can do it, and I can do a set of GRP stuff (although I've not gone down that route with my CM stuff)....

But I am not the man CrowHawk speaks of.

Chef - what would the GRP stuff be like, thickness and flexibility wise? With regards to the vacuum formed offerings out there, I am only really going on what I've read and seen on here, and it just seems a little 'fragile' for medium to heavy duty use. The intention was to get two full sets of marine armour, and one set of recon for the missus, from Spat, but the cracking issue around the joints worries me a little. It's pretty full on at times, we're always smashing into each other and scenery, hence the worry. I might be after something I can't have maybe?! Money's always ready, just weighing up what's the best option.

I digress, maybe a conversation for another thread...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:50 am 

£70 for a walk-on with rental ? Jeez . . .

Chef will be able to give you a better informed answer but for what it's worth :

GRP has the advantage that it can be laid in pretty much any thickness you require. So if you want to make a set really beefy you can do. However be aware that it'll be heavy as hell. GRP also doesn't flex, at all. So if you stress it, it can and will crack. However that being said i put my old FG scout armour through quite a few knocks (smacking boot holsters and shoulder bells on door-frames, transporting it all in a rucksack in the back of a landrover etc) and i never cracked it once. GRP also takes time to build up and will be pretty expensive i would rekon.

Theres no reason armour, even HIPS/ABS should crack around joints provided it's assembled 'correctly'. If you rivet the shoulders to the back plate then yes, it'll probably crack as this is an area where you need flexibility. Same with stormtrooper armour; the first area to go is the shoulder straps. So you need flexibility in this area. ie - You need the shoulders to 'float', by attaching them to elastic, as per the originals. The rest is held together via straps and rivets so there shouldn't be any cracking around these points. If i were to assemble a set specifically for airsoft i would probably replace all webbing straps with elastics, for extra maneuevrability.

We tested some 3mm HIPS with a 500fps bolt-action at Chef's. At point blank it went through, which was to be expected. At a range of around 15 yards it dented it. With a 350fps full-auto rifle it too dented it, slightly. So yes it's going to get dinged. And if you fall on your ass or run into a door it'll probably crack. But for normal skimishing id say a HIPS set should be fine. Just be expected to perfom remedial work as and when it's required

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:16 pm 

Said exactly the above in a PM a few days ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:23 pm 

Man i'm getting good at this :)