The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:02 am 
Robiwon, can someone with no electronics experience put one of these Majenko boards together and install it?

Post subject: Re: Majenko PR Soundboard Instalation
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:28 am 

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12132E1
Magnus, I would say yes. However I would make sure you have the proper tools to start out with. If your putting this in a Snow Wolf PR be prepared to do some mods to the gun. Get rid of any fear when it comes to cutting on the PR. I just saw that Majenko is releasing a V2 of his board. That's good news as it should take care of several issues, namely fit and sound level.

You should have a 40w "pencil type" soldering iron, thin rosin core solder, wire strippers/cutters, a good supply of thin multi stranded wire. You will also need some momentary switches and shrink wrap to cover solder joints. Soldering is not hard to do, it just takes practice and a bit patience.

If you have any questions, just let me know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:24 pm 
I will....you may regret the offer for help lol. Ill definately pick up the V2....

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:55 pm 

What PR are you planning on putting this in? You have the option to add LEDs for muzzle flash and GL flash. I highly recomend doing so if it is not a dedicated airsoft piece.

Not a problem on helping out, glad to do so. You can post questions here or PM me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:42 am 
I was going to put it into an airsoft PR, but make it a non-airsoft PR, so I could use the internal space to the max extent. This will be a long term project, but I'm going to pick up that sound board from Majenko, then start planning on the cheapest airsoft PR available to me in Canada.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:45 pm 

Evike.com has the cheapest price on the Snow Wolf PR plus you can use promo code EVIKE2013 for an additional 20% off the purchase price.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:13 am 

Peanut Butter Jelly Time...

The speaker from the iPod speaker ball is now wired up as a powered speaker. The board and battery reside under the barrel mount.

A separate on/off switch is mounted next to the soundboard switch under the carry handle. Both can be flipped on at the same time.

The speaker is mounted behind a custom front plate on the shroud. The blue portion of the speaker will be painted OD to help hide it once I button up the PR for the last time.

The stick battery is now mounted in the mag. The wire leads are soldered to these two steel rivet heads.

Matching heads are mounted on the side of the old 9v battery box.

With the mag installed the heads touch completing the circuit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:03 am 

There will be one more update tonight for this thread. Why? Because it's done my son!!! I'll post pics of the completed gun tonight with a video as well. I need to do a few touch ups here and there like sanding and repainting the mag, making a new 4 screw speaker cover plate, etc. Overall I am extremely happy with this build. Everything works as it should, or as I had hoped with this many mods to the base gun. I never would have been able to do this if it were not for the relatively cheap Snow Wolf PR and Majenko's awesome PR Counter/Sound Board. With his new V2 board coming out soon, I may have to build another PR. If I do I will probably source a set of Matsu's aluminum powder resin shrouds and an HCG GL.

Stay tuned, wrap up tonight with lots of finished pics and video coming.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:42 am 

As promised here are some pics of my finally completed Snow Wolf Pulse Rifle. I still need to swap out the cover over the speaker so it isn't bowed. Other than that, I'm calling it done. I'll add a few more pics tomorrow. On the bottom is a short video. I may swap out the white LEDs for a yellow in the barrel and an amber in the GL. It was a long build with some ups and downs, successes and failed attempts, but in the end it was worth it. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Enjoy the pics.

And a short video- Not sure what happened to the audio though, it's much louder in person. Crappy camera...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:24 am 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
you tease. i now want to do this to mine, but i have no clue how to do all of the electronic work. this would make an airsoft PR a very Con Friendly weapon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:13 am 

Thanks Cosmo! Yes, it is now very Con friendly. To me a PR prop needs to have sound. There's nothing worse than having a big mean ass looking weapon and it do nothing. I can pull the trigger and everyone will hear the PR firing and see the flashing light in the barrel. Same with the GL. I will say this was a lot more difficult to build than my last PR with the ReplicantFX board. It took a lot of trial and error with the speaker. In the end, it turned out great! I'm going to weather it a bit tonight, it looks a little too clean. I'll post pics later of that.

Now, I have to work on armor. As you can probably tell in the vid I'm not the trimmest fellow! LoL! Armor is expensive and I don't have a lot of money to work with. I'm giving myself a year. I may have to piece it together a bit at a time. Or, if I find a good deal on a set in the for sale section....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:02 pm 
Dirty Bird

hey not every Marine has to be well rounded and a year would be enough time to wip into shape. Shit i lost just over 25 pounds in 5 months. my biggest want is the counter tied into the trigger since i will never field this gun. i might have to send it to my old man who used to build RC boats lol.

Post subject: Re: Modified Snow Wolf PR Completed
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:05 pm 

If you don't mind not having sound, a compnay called Lightbenders sells a counter kit for the PR. It comes with a switch to detect when the mag is put in and then counts down when you pull the trigger. No sound, but super esy to install. Here is a link.

http://www.lightbenders.info/2010/10/04 ... oard-demo/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:46 pm 
Dirty Bird

thanks for the link Robiwon just will have to wait a while on this then. got other items that are needed first.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:35 am 

Working on the weathering. Went a little overboard and am toning it back. I want it to look used, not blown up. Need to give it a sludge wash and then see how it looks. Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:50 am 

Service Number: A06/TQ1.0.72129E1
Great mods! The shooting sounds and lights are cool....but the grenade launcher rack and fire are awesome!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:37 am 

Thanks Provadan! Having a PR that makes PR sounds is very cool. I will try and get a better quality video done with better audio. The gun sounds so much nicer in person. The racking sound is very cool. You wont get that in any PR replica unless you have real steel/airsoft parts in it. More pics coming tonight....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:49 am 

O.K. here are some more pics with the subtle weathering done. Hope you enjoy them. Images are thumbnails and are clickable.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:06 pm 

A small little envelope arrive today in the mail. What could it be?

Oh, it's the new Majenko FX Module V2!!!

Now what am I going to do with it?

Majenko.JPG
Majenko.JPG [ 851.68 KiB | Viewed 10852 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:50 pm 
reload

Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.12136E1
What is new with V2 of this FX/Snd/Counter board?

GERCM - Executive Officer (XO)
UKCM Foreign Legion: The Deviant Dragoons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:23 pm 

The display has been moved to the right a few mm's to help it fit better, the board has been made more efficient, and power has been boosted for a louder output. As soon as the RPF comes back on line I'll copy and paste the specifics. Oh, and the price has not gone up, same price as the original, about $58.

I can't afford to build another PR right now, so I'll take the V1 out and slap in the V2!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:42 pm 
reload

Thanks for the update robiwon.

Once you share more details please also include the source/order details.

-Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:39 pm 

Here is the rundown from Majenko-

More powerful, yet more efficient amplifier
A 2.6W class D amplifier generates pretty much no heat, and allows you to drive a more powerful speaker. The amplifier incorporates a "shutdown" funcion, so when the board isn't actively making any sound the amplifier is completely shut off, so it consumes pretty much zero current, and there is no noise at all - completely silent. Great for battery life!

PWM audio generation
I have removed the DAC, and am now generating the audio using Pulse Width Modulation and a low-pass filter. It means one less component, and one less component's worth of power consumption. Means your batteries last longer still.

Re-vamped power system
There is now a two-stage voltage regulation system. The new amplifier runs off just 5V, so a 5V regulator is now used to regulate the battery voltage down to that - then a secondary 3.3V regulator takes its supply from the 5V regulator to power the main chip and display. This means that the board isn't anywhere near as sensitive to the power supply voltage you use. You can no use anything frmo 6V to about 30V, but be warned, the more voltage you have the hotter that 5V regulator will get and the less efficient it all gets (heat is wasted power).

Offset display
The display has been moved a few mm to the right. This should make the board fit better in most shrouds (I hope).

More expansion IO pins
Now there's no DAC chip to control I have freed up more spare signals for expansion. There's now 10 signals, instead of 8, and a slight rearrangement of signals has meant that there are now 3 I²C busses in there (should you care ) - that means up to 24 slave displays for those that are into overkill!

The reset and prog buttons have shrunk
I found these sweet little buttons, that are even smaller than the old ones. While the old ones were OK they did stick up a little too far, and there was a chance that they'd be pressed by the insides of the gun when it was put together. These diddy little buttons are so small that they can't be easily pressed as they are lower profile than the USB socket, which is now the fattest component on that side of the board.

Ported to MPIDE
I have completed the port of the firmware to the MPIDE development environment. Those of you that have used the Arduino will be right at home there, since it is based on the same code. It should make working on the firmware a doddle. I will be uploading packages for everything soon.

The price is still £35 plus postage as before.

Here is his ebay store. you can contact him thru there or over on the RPF forum.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Majenko-Technologies

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:26 pm 

I'll be swapping out not only the V1 board with the new V2, but I'll be replacing the two LEDs as well. I was never real happy with the 5mm white LEDs I used. I'll be using these Rebels for the barrel and GL. I've used these little bad boys in some other prop builds. These tiny LEDs are super bright for thier size. Many times brighter than a standard 5mm. The barrel will use a warm white and the GL will use a red/orange.

LEDs.JPG
LEDs.JPG [ 735.91 KiB | Viewed 10826 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:31 pm 
reload

Thanks.

> when the board isn't actively making any sound the amplifier is completely shut off
I love to have this for my large M56 electronics. :)

-Frank