The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Does any one own a "Matrix" Pulse rifle
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:42 pm 

Hello all, I am currently watching a "Matrix" M41A on ebay and was wondering if any of you all have one and what you think of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:55 pm 

Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.92142G1
yeah its a great bit of kit for a decent price. the one i have is the snow wolf but im pretty sure the matrix is the exact same snow wolf just rebranded in the us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:59 pm 

What Stimpy says its a re-branded snow wolf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:58 pm 
Arcturian

Service Number: A12/TQ1.0.22156E1
Yep. Ive got a Snow Wolf now and used to have the G&P with a cybergun thompson. The Snow wolf is every bit as solid as the G&P kit was.

Ive not looked into upgrading it yet as other projects are taking priority, but if its like the G&P there shouldnt be much hassle with upgrading it piece by piece.

Area 52 Bioweapons division - Amber T. Alien

"Harsh"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:14 pm 
Emperor Ma'Dupe

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.42147E1
I've got a Matrix and it's swell. Can't speak to it's use as an Airsoft but as a prop for con time it's real damn nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:52 pm 

every body who replied to this post, thank you. The insight is a big help.

Post subject: Re: Does any one own a "Matrix" Pulse rifle
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:07 pm 
You tell me man, I only work here.

my only complaint about the matrix/snow wolf is the mag loading.

It is missing an internal ramp/spacer on the opposite side of the counter.

The G+P kit has this part, and you don't have to fiddle with it when inserting a mag.

Mag tabs are upside down, but with my mag insert kits, that can be corrected.

The airsoft portion is okay, but nowhere near marui quality.

Stock lock is much better.

For the price, you can't beat it.

I just wish ARES (maker of the matrix) would have taken my offer for assistance on this.

I think they just wanted my mag insert kit to study.

So many little details could have been easily corrected.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:46 pm 

also to add to detail, if you intend to open these up the grenade tube is made of aluminium so with some fine wet and dry sandpaper and metal polish you can sand the rough texture down and polish the tube up. i put a coat of lacquer over the top to to keep it shiney. i also added a working gl trigger and made a little adjustment to the shotgun shell :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:55 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32155E1
How did you do the little grenade launcher trigger? Looks good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:21 pm 

thanks. Well i bought a £3 revolver cap gun with a decent looking trigger which i took apart for the trigger and internal parts and springs ect and then set about figuring out a way to add it to the pr. its basically the trigger, trigger pivot part and spring attached to the top part of the trigger to return it once pressed.
the hardest part was making sure the trigger slot on the pr was in the right place and the right size and then attacking it with a dremel :shock: . turned out rather well i think.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:56 pm 

stimpy wrote:
thanks. Well i bought a £3 revolver cap gun with a decent looking trigger which i took apart for the trigger and internal parts and springs ect and then set about figuring out a way to add it to the pr. its basically the trigger, trigger pivot part and spring attached to the top part of the trigger to return it once pressed.
the hardest part was making sure the trigger slot on the pr was in the right place and the right size and then attacking it with a dremel :shock: . turned out rather well i think.

Love this! Any chance you took pics of your progress? I'd love to do this to mine.

East Midlands-UK
Keep low, move fast....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:26 pm 

no sorry i didnt think to take pics. its really simple inside. i would have thought you could do it easy enough with any cheap toy gun.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:50 pm 

Nice work! A great bit of extra detailing there Stimpy! :mrgreen:

I replaced the dummy shotgun shell in my PR but have you modded the existing one? Either way it looks much better than the original part.

Cheers.

John. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:29 pm 

thanks, yeah i took a dremel to it then sprayed it up. ive now added a white band skicker too as i forgot before :roll: its not perfect but looks loads better. next to figure out how to make up and attach some sling hoops, get a sling and a couple of nobles mag inserts and it will be finished

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:32 pm 

can i just ask where you got your grenade from? i think i may replace mine one day too.
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:54 pm 

Your PR looks great stimpy. I just got one of these snow and wolf 2-tones. About to strip it down and repaint it. Which parts did you repaint? I'm debating whether to do the grenade launcher or not. I was also going to put one of my spat grenades in the chamber. I was thinking of taking the cap off though as I'd imagine when they fire them the caps are off so the plunger hits the target and causes them to explode.

Can anybody suggest the best Tamiya colour to use on the shrouds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:33 pm 

Cheers i resprayed the shroud and gl. I would defo do the gl to if your going through the hassle of stripping it down as you will probably regret it if you dont. Depends if you will use it for airsoft or just a prop though i guess. The gl looks too plastic as it comes. I used humbrol olive drab 155 for the shroud with matt varnish. Not screen accurate but it looks good. Im pretty sure the grenades are loaded with the cap on. Thinking of the scene with ripley in the lift loading up her pr :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:49 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32155E1
I could only imagine some poor grunt loading a grenade without a cap and having either the loading ramp or mag follower depress the plunder and set it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:23 am 

Thanks for the info. I'll make my final decision once it's all apart, but will probably do the gl too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:56 pm 

wish i'd modded the grenade in mine , still can probably fettle it in place . gonna sort out a dummy trigger for launcher . Dont know what you guys reckon but the pump grip on mine seemed a bit loose so I nabbed a piece of the thin foam packing thats glued to the lid of the box and fitted it to the inside of the pump grip after cutting out a rectangle for the moulding that locates it , tightened up the screws and bobs your uncle !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:09 pm 

also did some sling hoops , got some chain with links of an appropriate size and cut the ends off two links so you get the u shape . drilled two holes in both the stock and muzzle bracket and pressure fitted the u ends into them , the stock was easy the muzzle was a bit fiddly as i had to mod the plastic insert in the triangle which contains the light gate to allow room for the two ends of the u to fit .tiny blob of weld on the ends of the steel u bolts , that was also a bit fiddly as the alloy cast parts of the gun really dont like weld !!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:13 pm 

Thats a really good idea for the sling hoops. My old mans got a welder too :D . Did the weld not damage the paint at all? You got any pics wouldnt mind seeing what you have done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:18 pm 

hi stimpy, i did repaint the black after i'd finished ,you also have to make sure you only get the tips of the u bracket and that the welder earths through the steel link not the cast /aluminium parts as it will blow a dirty great pit in the surface . the spacing of the holes drilled for the u brackets and the drill size needs to produce a tight fit as all the weld is doing is stopping it pulling back out , bit like a hammered rivet ( which was my first plan but couldnt get a hammer at the ends ) so only a tiny ammount of weld. will try and get some pics on in the next couple of days

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:04 pm 

one thing I would add is I wouldn't want to rely too heavily on them as the shoulder stock is not very strongly mounted to the gun so I wont be swinging the gun around by the sling . it was as much a case of the originals having them so I wanted them on mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:38 pm 

Yeah same here, its just more detail to add and dont have a reason to sling it on the shoulder. What sling have you used? Im looking for the us 2 quart canteen but seem a little hard to come by in this country.