The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: King arms mid cap guts into snow wolf high cap body?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:45 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32155E1
Has anyone found a way to transfer the guts of a 110 rd. King arms mid cap magazine into the body of a high cap Snow wolf/matrix pulse rifle magazine?

This mags internals:

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=30632

Into this body:

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=39209

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:51 pm 

This would be good, only slight modification to make it hold 95 rounds and your set

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:15 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32155E1
That was the idea. Was just hoping someone had tried this already.

Post subject: Re: King arms mid cap guts into snow wolf high cap body?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:54 pm 

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12132E1
So, has anyone tried this yet? I just ordered one of these mid caps from Evike. I'll post what I come up with if no one has done it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:28 pm 
You tell me man, I only work here.

I'm picking up 2 sets this week.

I need 8 mags for skirmishing.

This will be my back-up rifle again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:40 pm 

Are you using these "as is" with out the mag base or are you modifying them to fit with the mag base on (making this mag shorter)? I'm assuming this mag is too long to fit with the mag base on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:26 pm 
You tell me man, I only work here.

I plan to cut them down. Need to remove 1.5 inches.

Hoping they will hold 95 rounds.....

Then make a custom mag base to fit them.

Here's what a mag base looks like on a full length marui standard or 420 round high cap.

I made 8 of these years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:00 pm 

And if you make a custom mag base for it I would certainly fund the build of another one for um, me!

Just got my insert installed on my Matrix mag. Awesome!

100_6204.JPG
100_6204.JPG [ 819.52 KiB | Viewed 7045 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:03 am 

I cut a King Arms midcap down. Just eyeballing it, and doing a halfass job or reassembling, but the capacity came out at 97 rounds. Couldn't have done better if I'd tried! Going to be having my mag bases cast in aluminum to fit my hcg shrouds, but like mentioned above, I'd be down for the extended base shown above, if it works with hcg shrouds. Looks a lot like the mkII mag!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:24 pm 

I added this in my thread, but I'll post them here as well. The King Arms mag is one long "U" shaped channel with one long spring. I removed 1.5 inches and cut the spring down about an inch. I made sure the new ends were as square as possible and the glued them together with Tamiya Xtra Thin cement. I then JB Welded the seam for extra strength. I them sanded and shot the mag with flat black paint. I still need to do a few adjustments and test fire it. A 1.5 inch cut may not be enough to use the Noble insert, although the mag does fit the insert, there may be other alignment issues. Oh, and I have to say, the insert was not made for this mag so there was no guarantee that it would even fit. Just happy that it may be doable with more mods. I don't want anyone to think the insert was made to be used with this mag. I'm trying though!

EDIT- I used a plastic tube and an acrylic rod to load the magazine. Took the PR outside and unloaded. The mag worked great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:40 pm 

Nice work, I'm tempted to order some more bases from noble and mod some of these mags, I would rather not have to wind and happily sacrifice total rounds for the accurate counter and lack of winding

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:37 pm 

If I did anymore I would change a few things in the process. My initial plan was to use my razor saw and miter box to get clean cuts. You can't do that because of the spring. This is how I would do another one. You need to get the spring out first. There is a pin that holds the back end of the spring in place. Push this pin out. Drill an oval hole in the top of the mag above this pin. This will allow you to pull the spring out and the oval shaped plastic piece attached at the other end of the spring. You can now do a straight cut with a razor saw and miter box instead of a Dremel and cutting wheel like I did. Once you shorten the mag and glue it back together, reinstall the spring, push your pin in to capture the back of the spring. To seal the hole you can use some type of thick putty.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:35 pm 

Service Number: A01/TQ1.0.02128E1
tacblue wrote:
I cut a King Arms midcap down. Just eyeballing it, and doing a halfass job or reassembling, but the capacity came out at 97 rounds. Couldn't have done better if I'd tried! Going to be having my mag bases cast in aluminum to fit my hcg shrouds, but like mentioned above, I'd be down for the extended base shown above, if it works with hcg shrouds. Looks a lot like the mkII mag!

If you're having aluminum mag bases made and they fit the Snow Wolf PR I would likely be interested in 3 or so depending on cost. I moved the spring loaded buttons on mine from the base to the shroud to be more accurate.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:25 am 

Gwen wrote:
tacblue wrote:

If you're having aluminum mag bases made and they fit the Snow Wolf PR I would likely be interested in 3 or so depending on cost. I moved the spring loaded buttons on mine from the base to the shroud to be more accurate.

If the Snow Wolf is based on the older G&P sizewise, they won't work. The HCG shrouds i am using require a narrower base (front to back) than my G&P bases are. That being said, I could probably get the other base cast... Trying to remember what it looked like. Not sure where mine is, as I was using a couple of Noble's mag bases til I rebuilt my rifle with the new parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:12 am 

Actually, I may have got that wrong... The HCG might need a longer (front to back) base. Just checked my Noble bases from a long time ago, and they seem just a tad short front to back for the HCG well. If I remember right, the G&P/ Snow Wolf is just a cap that goes on the end, right? That should be an easy cast, though I can't find my old one. I'd need one to take to the metal guy to get a quote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:04 am 

Service Number: A01/TQ1.0.02128E1
Thanks, I'm interested to see what you come up with. If that doesn't work out I may look into casting some in resin. I made one by stacking saw cut sheets of 1/8 " ABS and it tuned out pretty nicely but it took too much work.