The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:05 am 

Location: U.S.A.
Country: United States
paradoxum wrote:
After playing I realised I don't like the stock being out all the way (even though it's the best if I am still and carefully aiming), the spring mechanism/plastinc inside broke a bit, so I just bolted it open all the way, I would like it to work again though, any suggestions on how to fix? can you get spare parts anywhere? I'll take a pic of what the internal looks like when I next take it apart.
https://i.imgur.com/NvcvB34.jpg
Also I cut a hole in the bottom of the mag cap to wind, but I ended up just taking it off when playing because I couldn't pull the mags out to relaod with it, anywhere in the UK / EU you can get spare caps? Evike has one for 12 bucks but shipping to the uk is even more than the part :/



To repair the stock pieces, you will have to more or less recreate the broken pieces; the alternative for an adjustable stock is listed on the link that follows http://www.rookscastle.com/tutorials/wiring.html you will have to adapt the way your rear sling mount is set up. Alternatively, if you can find one of the other positions to always feel better, you might be able to use a nut and bolt through the upper receiver to permanently hold the rifle stock in that position. I wish that someone would come up with metal replacement/retrofit parts for the stock adjustment components as plastic really isn't the answer.

As far as the magazine base goes, you have encountered the reason why the magazine the Pulse Rifle was equipped with isn't up to skirmishing, poor capacity and poor access for rewinding the mag. You need to use the longer stick mags (Thompson 30 round replicas) there is no other way around it.:

-30 round replica hicaps have about a 400 round capacity, plus more shots per wind, and winding wheels are instantly accessible.

-30 round replica midcaps (both 110 round and 60 round King Arms) require no winding and keep feeding until just about empty but have less shots per mag

Either of the above are the way to go.

As for the 20 round replicas that you have, I suggest buying a Thompson AEG as a fun gun (and backup parts for the PR) and use the 20 round mags in this gun, it will help out with ground clearance when going prone.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:18 am 

Location: U.S.A.
Country: United States
Erik_MAA wrote:
For the shotgun, Dong San makes an Ithaca 37.

I bought mine from RedWolf Airsoft. You can occasionally find them for sale using the HopUp app as well.

The Dong San is skirmishable, but there are better Airsoft shotguns out there if you don't care about being screen accurate.

For a spring gun the CYMA tri-shots are pretty good and come in a number of configurations.

The Maruzen 870s (and copies) are also decent, but they only fire one shot per trigger pull.

For gas, the Marui 870 is awesome.

The S&T shell-eject guns are neat, but for skirmishing not really practical because of the shell ejection.


Those are all good options. The biggest problem I see him having is that he wants to use a shotgun as a backup weapon, in a scabbard. Without serious modification of the shotgun and scabbard, I dont see how that addition wont negatively impact his agility, comfort, and functionality/survival of the shotgun. To not have the shotgun moving all around in the scabbard and to not let it fall out in extreme movements, the shotgun is going to need to be further secured or even tethered/strapped down, making accessing it hard. Putting the shotgun and scabbard in a position that isnt awkward/uncomfortable could also be difficult. It also seems like the extreme snub nosed versions arent what he wants, nor is going without a scabbard, as it doesnt meet the “Hicks” aesthetic.

I could see it put in a scabbard on an assault pack but that wont help him much in game.

A lot of these reasons are why one doesn't see too many shotguns as secondary weapons carried by infantry units today, unless used as a masterkey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:30 pm 
User avatar

Country: United Kingdom
Whamhammer wrote:
Erik_MAA wrote:
For the shotgun, Dong San makes an Ithaca 37.

I bought mine from RedWolf Airsoft. You can occasionally find them for sale using the HopUp app as well.

The Dong San is skirmishable, but there are better Airsoft shotguns out there if you don't care about being screen accurate.

For a spring gun the CYMA tri-shots are pretty good and come in a number of configurations.

The Maruzen 870s (and copies) are also decent, but they only fire one shot per trigger pull.

For gas, the Marui 870 is awesome.

The S&T shell-eject guns are neat, but for skirmishing not really practical because of the shell ejection.


Those are all good options. The biggest problem I see him having is that he wants to use a shotgun as a backup weapon, in a scabbard. Without serious modification of the shotgun and scabbard, I dont see how that addition wont negatively impact his agility, comfort, and functionality/survival of the shotgun. To not have the shotgun moving all around in the scabbard and to not let it fall out in extreme movements, the shotgun is going to need to be further secured or even tethered/strapped down, making accessing it hard. Putting the shotgun and scabbard in a position that isnt awkward/uncomfortable could also be difficult. It also seems like the extreme snub nosed versions arent what he wants, nor is going without a scabbard, as it doesnt meet the “Hicks” aesthetic.

I could see it put in a scabbard on an assault pack but that wont help him much in game.

A lot of these reasons are why one doesn't see too many shotguns as secondary weapons carried by infantry units today, unless used as a masterkey.


Not really as a backup weapon, mostly for aesthetics - i'll have a 1911/x-five in a dropleg holster as a secondary, I was looking at this shottie to have mounted in a scabbard attached to my back on the hydration pouch: https://www.evike.com/products/31211/ pretty cheap, short, looks the business.

https://imgur.com/a/xEAHi3c

I was thinking of taking my gear to a local sewing place and have them put molle stuff on the sides of the hydro pouch so I can have the shotgun scabbard mounted on the side of it, something simple like this: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/2032034 ... r-for-lara on the right-side of the back pouch.

Mostly just for aesthetics like I say, and it won't weigh much.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:20 am 

Location: U.S.A.
Country: United States
paradoxum wrote:
Whamhammer wrote:
Erik_MAA wrote:
For the shotgun, Dong San makes an Ithaca 37.

I bought mine from RedWolf Airsoft. You can occasionally find them for sale using the HopUp app as well.

The Dong San is skirmishable, but there are better Airsoft shotguns out there if you don't care about being screen accurate.

For a spring gun the CYMA tri-shots are pretty good and come in a number of configurations.

The Maruzen 870s (and copies) are also decent, but they only fire one shot per trigger pull.

For gas, the Marui 870 is awesome.

The S&T shell-eject guns are neat, but for skirmishing not really practical because of the shell ejection.


Those are all good options. The biggest problem I see him having is that he wants to use a shotgun as a backup weapon, in a scabbard. Without serious modification of the shotgun and scabbard, I dont see how that addition wont negatively impact his agility, comfort, and functionality/survival of the shotgun. To not have the shotgun moving all around in the scabbard and to not let it fall out in extreme movements, the shotgun is going to need to be further secured or even tethered/strapped down, making accessing it hard. Putting the shotgun and scabbard in a position that isnt awkward/uncomfortable could also be difficult. It also seems like the extreme snub nosed versions arent what he wants, nor is going without a scabbard, as it doesnt meet the “Hicks” aesthetic.

I could see it put in a scabbard on an assault pack but that wont help him much in game.

A lot of these reasons are why one doesn't see too many shotguns as secondary weapons carried by infantry units today, unless used as a masterkey.


Not really as a backup weapon, mostly for aesthetics - i'll have a 1911/x-five in a dropleg holster as a secondary, I was looking at this shottie to have mounted in a scabbard attached to my back on the hydration pouch: https://www.evike.com/products/31211/ pretty cheap, short, looks the business.

https://imgur.com/a/xEAHi3c

I was thinking of taking my gear to a local sewing place and have them put molle stuff on the sides of the hydro pouch so I can have the shotgun scabbard mounted on the side of it, something simple like this: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/2032034 ... r-for-lara on the right-side of the back pouch.

Mostly just for aesthetics like I say, and it won't weigh much.


To the very least, get a tri-shot, so you can retain some degree of effectiveness with gear that you are carrying.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:25 am 
User avatar

Country: United Kingdom
https://www.wgcshop.com/products?search ... otgun-wood

think I'll get this. it's cheapish, light, small, seems decent even though it's mostly aesthetics, and best of all somewhere actually has it in stock.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:47 pm 
User avatar

Country: United Kingdom
On the subject of Thompson upgrades again, is it worth getting different aftermarket gears, nozzles, shims, piston, things like that?

So far:
nub / bucking
barrel
motor
swapping battery connectors with deans / replace wiring loom with 16 gauge wire

mosfet (still need to find a good cheap one)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:56 am 

Location: U.S.A.
Country: United States
paradoxum wrote:
On the subject of Thompson upgrades again, is it worth getting different aftermarket gears, nozzles, shims, piston, things like that?

So far:
nub / bucking
barrel
motor
swapping battery connectors with deans / replace wiring loom with 16 gauge wire

mosfet (still need to find a good cheap one)



There is no real need to swap out the internals, unless there is a problem with them.:

The cylinder head and nozzle will need to come from the same manufacturer to make sure they seal correctly, just make sure the original cylinder head has a great seal at the cylinder and the pipe coming out of the cylinder head (that the nozzle goes over), use RTV Silicone (gasket sealer) if all else fails to seal.

The piston assemblies that I have seen in the gearboxes seem good enough, unless one is trying to make 30+ rps gun or a high fps gun. Just make sure the o-ring is good to seal against the cylinder, and make sure its lubed with the same gear lube that is made for aeg gears.

The gears arent the worlds best but they arent that bad, assuming they arent used in a high rps/fps build, keep them well lubed and a good shimming will help them.

Plastic bushings should be swapped for metal bushings but the sets that I have used required some grinding down of the part of the bushing on the inside and outside of the gearbox, I dont know why that was, I used a set from Guarder and another one from Prometheus, same deal. I dont think the plastic bushings will melt themselves unless one continuously runs the gearbox to where it overheats and melts them, they just aren't as strong as a good set of metal will be.

Cylinder, the stock one is fine, just get some Brass-O and polish it to a shine on the inside and out; I also polished any area of the gearbox that would see friction.

One item that I highly recommend is a full metal spring seat with bearings in it, to keep the spring from binding, and improved consistency ( must be for a version 6 gearbox though).

As far as mosfets go, look at some of the lower cost Gates, they should work fine but I am sure that your local shop should have a good, budget friendly mosfet that should work well for you.

The nice thing is that you cant get a Gate Titan for a version 6, so you can immediately slap all of the bling-nerds that want people to spend more on a mosfet than the value of most peoples guns. They are really only good for extreme ROF guns or people that dont really want to move thier fingers to pull the trigger (ie trigger spamming speedsofters).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:23 pm 
User avatar

Country: United Kingdom
https://i.imgur.com/RiEb1Gn.jpg

Upgrades all got now, going to have a local guy do it for me because even though I could probably do it all myself, I'd rather just pay someone to do it and get a working gun back etc without all the effort.

So to summarise:
- (M41A) MadBull 6.03mm (300mm) Black Python Barrel (Version 2) - £40.50

- (M41A) ASG Infinity Ultimate CNC 30k RPM Motor (Short) - £59.99

- (M41A) Maple Leaf Hop Up Tensioner (Omega Nub) - £6.00

- (M41A) Maple Leaf Macaron Hop Rubber Bucking 60 Degrees (AEG) - £7.50

- (M41A) Nuprol M110 AEG Spring - £21.98
- (M41A) GATE NanoAAB 3rd Gen. Active Breaking MOSFET - £21.98

M41A Ammo Counter Mod / Rewiring
- (M41A) Nano-Tech 300Mah 2S 7.4v 35-70C LiPo for Ammo Counter - £6.25
- (M41A) JST-XH 2S LiPo Extension Cable for Ammo Counter - £2.25
- (M41A) JST Y Extension Cable for Ammo Counter - £3.95
- (M41A) 16AWG 1 Meter Black Wire - £1.39
- (M41A) 16AWG 1 Meter Red Wire - £1.39
- (M41A) 16AWG 1 Meter Green Wire - £1.19
- (M41A) 16AWG 1 Meter Brown Wire - £1.19
- (M41A) 16AWG 1 Meter Yellow Wire - £1.19

will that do me for a while and I can get into things like bushings and gears / piston etc later?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron