The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Digital counter won’t register when I put mag in
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:43 am 

So I’ve been meaning to sort this out for ages, took the entire shroud of checked the switch and board, it all works fine when I use my finger or press it with a knife from inside .

But when I slide the mag into the slot it just shows 00 and won’t show 95 (stupid 95 why not 99)

Any ideas what am I missing don’t want to take it all apart again. There are two pins I can push out on the mag but they don’t make it register either. The mag slides and clicks just not sure why it won’t work.

Post subject: Re: Digital counter won’t register when I put mag in
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:11 pm 
You tell me man, I only work here.

Pretty common.

I suggest adding some tape on the side of the mag or a small piece of styrene.

On my mags, I put a strip of Gaffer's tape, and the counter worked.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:09 pm 

Service Number: A02/TQ0.0.52138E2
blackbeltjonzey wrote:
So I’ve been meaning to sort this out for ages, took the entire shroud of checked the switch and board, it all works fine when I use my finger or press it with a knife from inside .

But when I slide the mag into the slot it just shows 00 and won’t show 95 (stupid 95 why not 99)

Any ideas what am I missing don’t want to take it all apart again. There are two pins I can push out on the mag but they don’t make it register either. The mag slides and clicks just not sure why it won’t work.

Use a flashlight and look into the mag well. There SHOULD be a small metal tab visable. This is the actuation lever for the switch that lets the counter know there is a magazine present. If it is there, reach in with a small hook or pick and very, VERY carefully pull the free end away from the mag well wall, allowing it to bend outward and make better contact with the mag.

If you do NOT see the tab (lever), it has broken off and the switch will need to be replaced.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:54 pm 

smrtazzsmrtgnnr wrote:
blackbeltjonzey wrote:

Use a flashlight and look into the mag well. There SHOULD be a small metal tab visable. This is the actuation lever for the switch that lets the counter know there is a magazine present. If it is there, reach in with a small hook or pick and very, VERY carefully pull the free end away from the mag well wall, allowing it to bend outward and make better contact with the mag.

If you do NOT see the tab (lever), it has broken off and the switch will need to be replaced.

Hope this helps.

This happened to mine, I ended up buying microswitches that were the same size and replaced the top half of the switch, and the metal “trigger”. Be carful to not lose the little plastic “button” that the metal trigger comes in contact with if you have to go this route.

I barely use the counter on my “field” rifle, the sunlight floods out the counter, even with a shade over it, and it isnt as helpful for a rightie, as the counter display is on the outside.

I will give a free McFlurry to the person who comes up with a left sided gage conversion kit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:36 pm 

Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.92142G1
Happened to me a a while back now. I very gently bent the contact switch out a few millimetres. Been fine ever since!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:31 am 

stimpy wrote:
Happened to me a a while back now. I very gently bent the contact switch out a few millimetres. Been fine ever since!

I’ve had it where the metal contact peice actually came out of the switch , I put it back in a few times, even hot glue gunned the end peice, bit I still ended up having to replace the top half of the switch assembly.