The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Will the spas-12 cage on this fit the snow wolf rifle?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:14 am 

I think it's fully metal and finding a real spas-12 is like unicorn shit let alone the heat-cage, but if this guns heat cage is metal, you guys reckon it will fit? worth buying to try?

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/ ... ng-shotgun

Thanks,
para

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:38 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Evike also lists that brand/model and it has a a bit more info in the discription. I don't believe it is a metal shroud. It says metal 'outer barrel' (as 3 individual inner barrels allow it to do 3 shot burst) and metal magazine tube. Makes no reference to anything else except 'high quality ABS construction.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:45 pm 

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.42137E1
I've been playing and collecting Airsoft for almost 35 years and I know of only one SPAS12 replica with a metal cage, and it's a rare collector's item. I doubt this would be metal.

If you plan to add a shotgun to the Matrix, you could easily modify the Matrix cage to fit. It wouldn't be metal, but it would get you there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:36 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
"The heat shield / cover is plastic and not metal"

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:40 am 

Erik_MAA wrote:
I've been playing and collecting Airsoft for almost 35 years and I know of only one SPAS12 replica with a metal cage, and it's a rare collector's item. I doubt this would be metal.

If you plan to add a shotgun to the Matrix, you could easily modify the Matrix cage to fit. It wouldn't be metal, but it would get you there.

yeah they got back to me and told me it was plastic...

swear to god, someone with a machine shop could make an absolute killing making spas-12 parts. why has nobody filled this market gap?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:02 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Not a killing but yes, with a template, it's *just* a matter of cutting some holes and folding some sheet metal, yeah?
I *think* there are patterns online ... if you could find one, you could as a light engineering shop for a quote ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:37 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
Wouldn't it *technically* fall into some legal grey area being a firearm part?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:59 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
On a slight side-note I'm surprised that, after all these years, no one makes an accurate 8-hole barrel-vent and stock.

Many years ago I got a quote to have a set made which was around £500 ($650) so I 'politely declined'. Of course the cost comes down a lot when multiples are ordered as the main labour would be in the setting up.

Harry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:39 pm 

Harry Harris wrote:
On a slight side-note I'm surprised that, after all these years, no one makes an accurate 8-hole barrel-vent and stock.

Many years ago I got a quote to have a set made which was around £500 ($650) so I 'politely declined'. Of course the cost comes down a lot when multiples are ordered as the main labour would be in the setting up.

Harry

I doubt one will be justified for an airsoft rifle replica, as the best place to put the IR sensor for an Ammo counter is at the end of the barrel, and having the gap at the end of the vent makes it easier to assemble/disassemble, while keeping the replica looking somewhat authentic.

The stock is a similar problem, an adjustable stock is going to be hard to make it look like the prop wothout either not looking the same, or the stock area weighing a metric buttload.

I do wish Snow Wolf would’ve come up with a deluxe version with a shotgun/grenade launcher though, even if it only shot 50-60 feet, even if it was 2 lb. , one shot in the breach, reload each time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:28 pm 

Would a properly molded from 3d print resin spas cage be desirable? I know a guy...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:56 pm 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
88reaper88 wrote:

I'd say that depends on the country you're in. I see it as no different from making any other part of a movie prop replica. Here in NZ it'd be ok. UK, maybe not ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:32 am 

88reaper88 wrote:

I would think not, since technically it is being made for an airsoft gun, not a real gun. Take for example the tons of replacement receivers, body parts, rail systems, stocks, etc etc etc that are on the market. I doubt this would be any different.
Particularly if it is made with the proper cutouts etc. These cause it to differ significantly from a stock cage.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:44 am 

Service Number: A09/TQ1.0.32134E1
septic wrote:
88reaper88 wrote:

I'd say that depends on the country you're in. I see it as no different from making any other part of a movie prop replica. Here in NZ it'd be ok. UK, maybe not ...

The cage would be fine in the UK. I own a deactivated SPAS-12 and the cage and pump have not been touched at all. The only components of firearms that are restricted are those that are directly involved in launching the projectile. Things like stocks, grips, detachable magazines (regardless of capacity) and even some body parts are fine. I think that the qualifier is that if you can take the part off the weapon and still fire at least one shot from it then you can have the part without any licence. I used a genuine AK top cover and a cut down 30 round 5.56mm SA80 style magazine when I built a replica of the plasma rifle used by Kyle Reece in the future scenes of the first Terminator film.

Post subject: Re: Will the spas-12 cage on this fit the snow wolf rifle?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:19 pm 

Also this airsoft model is scaled down, it's unfortunately not a 1:1 replica.

Post subject: Re: Will the spas-12 cage on this fit the snow wolf rifle?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:25 pm 

Epsilon wrote:
Also this airsoft model is scaled down, it's unfortunately not a 1:1 replica.

So some modding of an actual spas12 cage is actually required? I thought you could do a straight swap with it.