The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: M4 vs. M14 vs. AK47
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:40 pm 

Hello Everyone! I am looking to buy a new airsoft gun and want some advice. I want a gun that can shoot far, but still comes in under the fps limits at my local field 400 fps. I am looking at a couple, but the big question I want to ask is what type of gun should I get? M4, M14, or Ak, I really like all three styles, but can only afford one gun. Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:14 pm 

Service Number: A12/TQ2.0.22147E1
Since you say you like all three, the best advice I can give is "find which one is most comfortable to carry for long amounts of time, is comfortable to shoot during that time, and can be modded to your liking the easiest." Then, you will have your weapon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:23 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
2nd /\

Don't go off others opinions when it comes to a very personal preference. Try some out at a local site, ask people if you can borrow one for a match or two. See how you like it.
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:48 pm 

Okay, I'll have to see which one feel better. Which one do you personally like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:14 am 

I have seen some M14 that have been built to be fantastic marksmen rifles that shoot across the field with ease and has pretty tight groping, same with the M4 but if your waning it for marksmen id go with the M14, if your still waning to run around and get in fire fights but are just looking for something with range id go with the m4 and just do some simple mods to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:59 pm 

the m14 sounds nice, I was looking up stuff this morning, and I heard that the vr16 avalon can be made to shoot really far, and it's an m4. Do you have any experience with the avalon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:18 pm 

Service Number: A12/TQ0.0.52149E1
my CYMA M14 has great range out the box but any gun can be improved. choose which gun you like the look of then start looking into manufactures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:26 pm 

I have used the VR16 Avalon a few time its a great gun, If your wanting to go for the M4 Id say look no farther you have found your gun you can do so much to that gun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:38 pm 

Sweet! Where did you get it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:40 pm 

I got mine at modern airsoft, they offer a free mystery gift with every order, so I figured I get more for my money that way.
https://modernairsoft.com/collections/vfc-avalon-vr16

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:11 am 

PaulSchoon wrote:
I got mine at modern airsoft, they offer a free mystery gift with every order, so I figured I get more for my money that way.
https://modernairsoft.com/collections/vfc-avalon-vr16

With a few mods, my Pulse Rifle has hit guys from 200 ft, and has tight, accurate groupings, and it’s a pulse rifle. It’s a Thompson on the inside. It is a pain to break down to mod’ but it’s hillarious when I take down players with more expensive VFCs and Krytacs.

My long range shooting is done with my SR25 dmr build.

M4s are the most popular replica out there, plenty of choices for difference price ranges, performance, and appearances, fairly easy to upgrade.

Biggest downsides are the version 2 gearbox isn’t the strongest if you are going to put high FPS upgrades, the front of the gearbox can crack more than mother models. Also, don’t go around the field asking anyone if they have seen your lost mag, as just about every AEG player is using the same type of gun. More strict fields won’t accept M4s as DMRs. (That’s what SR25s are for)

AK’s are great replicas too, plenty of choices, just not as many as the M4, the version 3 gearbox is tough and can take higher FPS builds, and you can get a good model for (usually) a decent price. AK47 models (not AK74s) can be built into DMRs by 99% of the more strict airsoft rules.

Downsides is they tend to weight a little more than the M4s, usually takes special parts to put a scope on them. Most don’t have a ton of battery room.

M14s are pretty much the archetypical DMR platform, long, big, heavier. Version 7 gearbox is very easy to work on, the trigger is even on the outside of the box, but isn’t as well as supported as the V2 & V3. Not as many configurations as the M4, or even the AK. Two designs are used for the magazines. Not so great at full auto. Definitely the choice for DMR player who like a classic look, for an even more classic look, check out M1 Garand models for the ultimate old school dmr.

Mostly comes down to what you like, feel comfortable with, how much you want to spend/customize.