The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Snow Wolf Upgraded for Airsoft Use
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:13 am 

I thought I'd share my humble pulse build with you guys. It's basic and a work in progress but I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts. As an airsofter as well as an Aliens fan I was determined not to add another "wall hanger" to my props collection- I wanted it be usable in the field! What could be more fun than a working Pulse rifle?!

As those who have attempted to use the Snow Wolf Pulse for airsoft will know, it's not really usable out of the box, with it's awkward separate mag bases, and difficult reloading due to the missing second ramp (omitted when they copied the original G&P). Added to that it shoots too hot for UK use so internal mods were the first order of business.

I downgraded the spring, fitted a bearing spring guide and got some shims in case the gears needed shimming

Having test fired it and been disappointed with the slow rate of fire with a 9.6v stick battery, I knew a future LiPo upgrade would be on the cards. As I had the gear box apart I rewired the trigger unit and fitted a Gate nano mosfet to protect the gun from the higher voltages involved.

tucked the mosfet up front in the shroud

To help with the reloading I scratch built the other mag ramp out of styrene and added one of nobles mag bases to my Hi-cap

Then time for a respray! I used a silver base coat with krylon matt black and olive over the top so the Pulse weathers nicely in use.

I also tinted the counter window red and polished the dummy shotgun bolt before rebuilding it

and added a proper grenade!

I have further plans in the works to add a working grenade launcher using 27mm mini moscarts for the firepower! Thanks to Noble again for providing the 3d parts to hold the shell and bits for the firing mechanism. I've had to press the Pulse into airsoft service early due to my primary airsoft gun breaking down so these are on hold for now- this is sort of how it will fit.

Having used the Pulse for 3 days of skirmishing now the limitations of the gun are becoming clear. Re-loading was a serious PITA under fire, and actually got me killed a few times! Luckily I got hold of a brilliant 3d printed mag ramp to solve this problem from dynofiend which works far better than the stock setup!

Having two hicaps isn't really working for me either; I'm tired of the winding, and it ruins the effect of the counter when you keep on firing when your gun says it's empty- As I've discovered, people WILL notice! A Pulse rifle tends to stand out in a sea of M4 derivatives! (I'm fed up saying "No it's not from Halo" though) I've got hold of some king arms mid caps and chopped them down to fit. They should be an improvement although I've only managed to get 90 rounds in them so far rather than 95 .

Then did a bit of rough job on this foam so I can carry the gun and all these funny shaped mags to the next skirmish day- Game on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:00 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ2.0.12140E1
What a great build. I'll definitely be incorporating some of your ideas into my own rifle! Also really glad you are enjoying the mag slot extension!

I'm not sure if I have already talked to you about it, but I modelled some inserts for the KA midcaps which tie the two halves together nicely for gluing. PM Me if interested :)

Post subject: Re: Snow Wolf Upgraded for Airsoft Use
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:22 am 

Thanks :). Yeah the mags are joined with your inserts, and they seem nice and solid so thanks again!

I didn't take many pictures of the mags as I was trying to get them done in time to use them at a game! I forgot to mention that all the mag bases used on the mid-caps were dynofiends version also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:01 am 

Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.92142G1
Looking good so far! It would make sense to leave your battery where it is as you still have the room. Im gonna have to get a mosfet fitted soon but im running out of space to put things in there :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:42 am 

Whilst I do have space in the GL at present, I'd like to keep my options open in case I ever decide to do something with these!

I'd need to find a m870 going cheap and pluck up the courage to mutilate it too though!

With regards to the mosfet, I'm thinking of moving mine behind the mag ramp I made out of styrene. Like the original one the other side, it has some place behind it. The mosfet I used can be unplugged so you'd still be able to separate the shell ok for maintenance etc and the mosfet would be well protected the same as the counter circuit on the other side.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:51 am 
reload

Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.12136E1
Great build!
Thanks for sharing.
Need to modify the trigger myself, but for the Majenko board.

GERCM - Executive Officer (XO)
UKCM Foreign Legion: The Deviant Dragoons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:00 pm 

Nice! You got to put an m870 behind that spas cage :D your best bet would be to pick up a shotgun from gun fire in a sale. Can get them fairly cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:39 pm 

I might do another build later incorporating a shotgun using the real cage and grip. For now I think I'll go ahead with the moscart due to the fairly impressive puff of gas that comes out when fired- it looks more grenade like than most shotguns I've seen.

https://youtu.be/Ft0rnaOeKkM

Are you running your M870 with the metal co2 shells or the plastic ones? How much of a puff do you get out of the end when you fire it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:09 pm 

Haha cool! Definitely for your next pr. Where did you get your spas cage an pump grip? I have both the gas and the co2 shells. The gas shell just makes a pop/crack noise but the co2 vents some smoke with a considerably bigger bang!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:31 pm 

stimpy wrote:
Haha cool! Definitely for your next pr. Where did you get your spas cage an pump grip? I have both the gas and the co2 shells. The gas shell just makes a pop/crack noise but the co2 vents some smoke with a considerably bigger bang!

:) Can't wait to see people's faces when my "cheap plasticv gun" lets that off the chain lol! Are you fitting a bag or shell catcher for when you skirmish it? It'll be cool being able to rack the shotgun just like in the movie doing building clearance etc! Does it feel substantially heavier now you have the m870 fitted?

I got the Spas cage and grip on here in the base PX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
Great set of mods! One thing I did was file the first couple inches at the top of the
magazine "T" rail slightly. You probably don't need to do that since you have the
3D printed guide channel, but for an unmodded Thompson, that slight filing
makes it much easier to insert a mag under fire.

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:39 pm 

That will definitely get some attention when that goes off. Im trying to think of a way to attach a catcher to the gl but will probably just have to pick em of the floor lol. My old pr weights 7.5 and this one is 10.8 lb. There is quite a difference between the two when holding them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:22 pm 

Russ Krook III wrote:
Great set of mods! One thing I did was file the first couple inches at the top of the
magazine "T" rail slightly. You probably don't need to do that since you have the
3D printed guide channel, but for an unmodded Thompson, that slight filing
makes it much easier to insert a mag under fire.

Thanks :) that Sounds like it would work. Is yours a G&P or matrix/snow wolf?

stimpy wrote:
That will definitely get some attention when that goes off. Im trying to think of a way to attach a catcher to the gl but will probably just have to pick em of the floor lol. My old pr weights 7.5 and this one is 10.8 lb. There is quite a difference between the two when holding them.

I found this bag on eBay that you may be able to adapt http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/301722545533?_mwBanner=1

Weight wise a pulse with shotgun up front is about a pound heavier than my full metal ak with acog then so not too heavy really!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:37 pm 

Service Number: A07/TQ2.0.02136G1
I'd love to see a video of this when you're finished with it. Very impressive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:43 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
Dibs on the plastic launcher :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:04 am 
Reaper

I can't wait to start building one

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:34 am 

Anthony Veit wrote:
I can't wait to start building one

OD models are back in stock at Evike.

Definately get a guide like the one Dynofiend makes, that thing makes changing mags go from a night to a breeze; I’ve even changed out my my loads from 4 high caps to (up to) 12 midcaps.

Get a good barrel, bucking, flat hop, and you’ve got the best, most basic upgrades, until your ready to go full tilt. Make sure you use quality, and good weight bbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:36 pm 

How well does that moscart work out as the GL?

I’ve never seen one of those before, who sells those?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:03 am 

Service Number: A04/TQ2.0.72145E1
Loving this post

A04/TQ2.0.72145E1 Capt Constable, JM Violentj Otago-NZ

Hoorah to ashes!