The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:14 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Back on topic: you guys are worried about audience recognition and missrepresentation. CNN thought you were a bunch of folks dressed as soldiers. Well, those of you in the color guard are wearing extrapolations of a uniform seen for all of five minutes in a film made almost three decades ago. To make it worse it's a uniform that *by design* looks like a USMC uniform. I'd say the general public can be forgiven for not getting the reference, and this was before Aaron marched in his actual uniform (which still looks about the same to the non-discerning eye).
I think the color guard is pretty damn cool, and that you folks are doing a great job of riding that fine line. For those who get the reference it's awesome. For those who don't, you still appear to be honoring the flags and the ritual and that counts for a lot. I would really hate to see plush facehuggers on anyone in the color guard, so what other options are there for clueing people in?
As long as I'm throwing ideas out there, I'd say the grunts should be sporting every possible screen accurate light they can. Shoulder lamps, IR sights and Motion Trackers all help differentiate the Colonial Marines from G.I. Joe. The helmet with it's camera, mic and lobster plates is also pretty iconic. I don't think I saw more than two in the parade video. Sure they're hot and heavy, but so's storm trooper armour and those guys do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:37 pm 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32151E1
Helmets are an issue for the British!

Props, cosplay pieces, upcycled ornamentation, and miscellanea;
For the discerning survivor of the apocalypse.
Steve Fletcher : Maker, Scavenger, and Junksmith.
linktr.ee/wastelandworkshop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:03 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
That's interesting Scapey, do you mean because of the added weight for transporting across the pond?

I don't go to DragonCon so maybe my thoughts aren't welcome, and I am certainly not trying to tell people how they should do anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:33 pm 
You there! Get me a Turkey!

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.62157E1
I'm just going to add that everyone 'behind' the banner stating 'Aliens Legacy' and in front of the banner behind us 'Hunters Liar' (usually) is part of this group of costumers and prop makers. That is just a fact for us and those watching.

Then if anyone thinks otherwise it is on them and not us to be 'recognized'
It's a Sci-Fi/Fantasy parade, we're sporting a banner stating 'Aliens' so if you're confused after that....I'm sorry but we've done our part.
I'm part of the D*Con style community and I don't even know who some of the groups are...but I know they're a group because 'they're in the parade'.

I think this 'recognition' issue can all be solved by just moving the banner forward and then if people still have issues, that's on them and not us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:53 pm 
Victor

If the banner is behind the colour guard then why would anyone think that it is part of the AL group? The only people that would realise that the colour guard aren't actual service personnel would be active Marines. In the quest to make the flag bearers look professional you've taken away the costuming part.

Whilst I was honoured to be part of the colour guard I can't say I enjoyed the experience. The pressure not to mess up was immense and sucked the fun out of it. Well done to the people that do it year after year but if I ever make it to DCon again I won't be offering to carry a flag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:10 pm 
Miscreant and Foukérre

^^ Re: Helmets... Yeah, it's the extra weight that's the problem. At a guess, I'd say a real-steel helmet weighs more than the rest of the armour put together!
[InsertplugforSpatplastichelmetshere]

And yeah, to rerereiterate what Troon and Mole said:
We're an Aliens costuming group, we should only have Aliens costumes marching with us, and to stop confusion, we should move the banner in front of the colour guard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:59 pm 

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.02151E1
I think the solution is simple and has already been mentioned.

The banner should go first, preferably carried by a marine in armour and a xeno if possible, if only to serve as hammering the point home.
The CG should then follow.

On a personal note:

As much as I enjoy the rendering honours. I think this is only re-enforcing the misunderstanding that the CG is real military.

Perhaps we should retire the rendering of honours part altogether? A real military CG would not forgo the rendering of honours. If our parade did so, I think it would be less likely to be seen as military and more as a costumers group.

If that is too "drastic", perhaps we should dumb down the process and props?
Perhaps if Dom were to replace his sabre with a pulse rifle or shotgun... or something directly out on the Aliens film or game?

Flack jacket and tin hat donned!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:40 pm 
Lifer

retrogarde wrote:
Back on topic: you guys are worried about audience recognition and missrepresentation. CNN thought you were a bunch of folks dressed as soldiers. Well, those of you in the color guard are wearing extrapolations of a uniform seen for all of five minutes in a film made almost three decades ago. To make it worse it's a uniform that *by design* looks like a USMC uniform.

This is exactly the point I was making. There seemed to be some controversy over Aaron wearing a "real" military uniform in a group of "fantasy" military uniforms. The problem being: we don't want the public to think we are the "real" military.

Here's the kicker- they don't know the difference. They have no clue that a USCM Service C uniform isn't a real USMC uniform. They average Joe can't tell the difference.

So if the problem is about giving off the wrong impression that we are the real military, wearing Service C uniforms, carrying flags, and doing military drill directly reinforces the problem.

If anyone thinks that Aaron wearing a USMC uniform caused the public to think the Colour Guard was genuine USMC, you would be more than half wrong. While I'm sure it didn't help, the public startred thinking we were genuine soldiers and not costumers years ago.

And again just to say it out loud, this is not an attempt to disband the Colour Guard. I'm saying that the public is going to think we are "real" soldiers, no matter what we try to do, so long as the Colour Guard exists. Accept it.

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:11 am 
Pint of AB negative please

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.12136E1
The point is as has been stated before real world uniforms are not Aliens related Costumes and that's all we should be wearing in my book

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:16 am 
Lifer

Mantroon wrote:
So you are saying "wear what you like in the CG just as long as it military?".

Is that what you took from what I said?

On my end what I see is this point being hammered that "we have to represent the movie Aliens, and not the real military."

I'm saying that no matter what kind of limits you put on what you wear, the public is going to think the Colour Guard represents the real military, not the movie Aliens. So all this "need" to represent the film Aliens (to prevent "members" from wearing genuine military unifoms), is counteracted by the very existence of the Colour Guard itself.

When the Colour Guard is out in our USCM Service C uniforms, Joe public, CNN, and even the D-Con organizers are going to call us "soldiers." There is nothing that can be done about it. This leaves us with little choice but to turn a blind eye, deaf ear to the public thinking we are the military and be done with it.

If you want to limit the Colour Guard (and for that matter the "geared up" section) to Alien-esque uniforms only, that's fine. But don't think that by doing so it will have any impact on how the public perceives us. The Colour Guard will always look like the real military to them. They will "never" understand it.

This noble crusade to "make sure the Colour Guard does not look like the real military", is unbelievably ironic.

Does anyone else see the irony in this?

EDIT- let me reiterate this one last time and that will be it from me:

If you want to have a "Parade/Colour Guard rule" that you can't wear a genuine military uniform, there is nothing wrong with that.

However to say that the rule is in place "to prevent the public from mistaking us for the real military" is ridiculous. The Colour Guard has, and will always look like the real military to them.

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:31 am 
Duke Bronson

Mantroon wrote:
march with the grunts.
No dishonour in that.

So... Resolved: To participate in the Aliens Legacy parade group, you must wear what is reasonably a recognizable Aliens-themed costume; be it Xeno or Colonial Marine and not any real-world military uniform.

Can we kindly please move on?

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:52 am 

MSgt Baldwin wrote:
Mantroon wrote:
march with the grunts.
No dishonour in that.

So... Resolved: To participate in the Aliens Legacy parade group, you must wear what is reasonably a recognizable Aliens-themed costume; be it Xeno or Colonial Marine and not any real-world military uniform.

Can we kindly please move on?

Agreed to both matters

Last edited by nocternus on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Official Color/Honor Guard Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:36 pm 
'Nuff said.

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
Agreed. What's done is done. Moving forward Alien related costumes only. If you are unsure ask before spending money and time on a costume.

Thanks!

Greg

UKCM
Shoot first, think never.
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:03 am 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Thought we'd agreed that an age ago!
But aye, what Greg said. Ask first and you won't be burned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:14 pm 

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.42136E1
The horse has been officially beaten, maimed, minced, grated, carved, skinned and burned. Yes, now we can move on.

After hearing Sgt Tony won't be at DC. We need someone local to recieve the parade kit. (or someone who has room in their car that is prepared to drive).

"Even a man that has nothing, can still give his life."

DHS
NYANG, MAJ Ret.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:37 am 
Transportation Chief

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.82250E1
Where, When, How big? I plan on driving from Salt Lake City Utah.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:17 pm 
USCM Ambassador

Service Number: AO2/TQ1.0.1233E1
About all I can add to this thread at this point:

Chris Chulamanis sure would be proud to see the Colonial Marines evolve to a Color Guard AND leading off the DragonCon Parade, wouldn't he?! :D :D :D :D

USCM- The Colonial Marines- A Brotherhood of Bad Asses!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:30 am 

When are names being taken for this year?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:24 pm 
Duke Bronson

Well, let's do it.

Please add your name to this nominal roll if you intend to participate in the 2014 Honour Guard wearing a Colonial Marine Service or Dress Uniform:

1. Dom Baldwin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:14 am 

Please add your name to this nominal roll if you intend to participate in the 2014 Honour Guard wearing a Colonial Marine Service or Dress Uniform:

1. Dom Baldwin
2. nocternus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:15 pm 

1. Dom Baldwin
2. nocternus
3. Tony B.

Anyone available to take charge of parade kit? Its one long bag containing poles, flag, white gloves and flag carry strap. Sgt Tony might be able to post photo. Its not big or heavy at all.

DHS
NYANG, MAJ Ret.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:40 am 
Duke Bronson

Who has it?

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:53 am 

MSgt Baldwin wrote:
Who has it?

Tony Leach. He can't attend this year.

DHS
NYANG, MAJ Ret.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:15 am 
Duke Bronson

Well, he's going to have to mail it to someone.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:23 am 
Duke Bronson

Thanks Paul. Can you please coordinate with Tony?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next