The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Prometheus - Seen it. My thoughts. CONTAINS SPOILERS!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:25 pm 

Just seen it. HHHHMMMMM here as some thoughts

Music - too much of it, its like listening to an Indianna or Star Trek movie at times...it breaks the tension...it did not need it. Obviously the composer was paid by the note and as Salieri says of Mozarts work " Too many notes " Of course unlike the movie, Salieri was completely wrong.
Characters - Thin when compared with Alien and therefore hard to buy into or to root for.
Good acting from Fassbender, Rapace but why Guy Pierce? He did not look realistic as an old man...why not just get an old man to act it????
No real scares
Very little tension ( maybe that was because I had not bought into the waffer thin characters or the music got in the way)
The rapace medical scene was just daft
Too much CGI and not enough physical modelling
The movie was often stunning to watch and looked beautiful with ship interior nods to Ron Cobbs Alien work, Ridley has such an eye ( two actually ) Nod also to Foss' designs for the derelict in the forward section of the Promethius ship ( it might be tenuous but it made me think of his design )
Watched it in proper 2D ( seeing it next week in 3D....not a fan of 3D but as an exercise it will be interesting to see if it adds anything. I can see it working well on the sweeping vista shots )
I would like to thank Ridley for perpetuating the old gag about running away from something rather than just stepping to the side so it does not hit you LOl.
Dialogue lacked the authenticity of the original movie. Its one of those movies where people say things in a way that real people would not.

The ending...well less said really....bit daft again but obviously opens up the cash cow for sequels.

Overall....competent but slightly sterile. The central theme is one well trodden and they trod all over it.

I think a giger alien would have really spiced things up, but obviously that would not fit the story. Plus of course the requisit number of different hosts have not been achieved yet to present us with the giger alien.

6/10.
or in exam talk
C+ Could try harder.

Sorry Ridley.....

You are still a hero though

But Please Ridley, no Blade Runner 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:15 pm 
You there! Get me a Turkey!

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.62157E1
Can you please change the topic to say 'spoilers' or 'no spoilers'

I didn't read the post and won't until I know

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Promethius - Seen it. My thoughts (for what they are wor
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:32 pm 

Have to agree with everything said above. Just a pity i stayed awake and paud for the midnight showing in 3d :(

Post subject: Re: Prometheus - Seen it. My thoughts. CONTAINS SPOILERS!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:54 am 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
SgtTony wrote:
Can you please change the topic to say 'spoilers' or 'no spoilers'

Done. Oh, and I corrected the spelling of 'Prometheus' too. ;)

Hicks27 wrote:
Good acting from Fassbender, Rapace but why Guy Pierce? He did not look realistic as an old man...why not just get an old man to act it????

I thought the Weyland make-up was amazing. I can't help wonder that your disbelief was suspended simply because you already knew it was Guy Pearce under all that.

Quote:
No real scares

Were there supposed to be? I saw it as a sci-fi/action movie rather than a horror. The scares have already been done in 'Alien' in many ways.

Quote:
The rapace medical scene was just daft

Which part? I have a friend who's had surgery in pretty much the same place and had staples much the same as in the film and she told me it hurt to even breathe afterwards so I'm with you on that one. A short clip of the MedPod applying some sort of futuristic artificial muscle, skin and adhesive might have let them get away with that one.

Quote:
Too much CGI and not enough physical modelling

What CGI Elements would you have liked to see done in the real world?

Quote:
The movie was often stunning to watch and looked beautiful with ship interior nods to Ron Cobbs Alien work, Ridley has such an eye ( two actually ) Nod also to Foss' designs for the derelict in the forward section of the Promethius ship ( it might be tenuous but it made me think of his design )

Agreed!

Quote:
Watched it in proper 2D ( seeing it next week in 3D....not a fan of 3D but as an exercise it will be interesting to see if it adds anything. I can see it working well on the sweeping vista shots )

I thought the 3D worked really well because it wasn't overly used for the sake of it. It added some depth and enhanced some elements such as the holographic displays etc. - I spoke to ADC after the premiere who said that Ridley had definitely shot a film normally, just with a 3D camera set-up, which really is the best thing to do. If you go at it from the start with the intention of deliberately using 3D then you've already distracted the audience from the most important element; the story.

Quote:
Dialogue lacked the authenticity of the original movie. Its one of those movies where people say things in a way that real people would not.

You obvoiusly haven't seen Alien3! ;)

Quote:
I think a giger alien would have really spiced things up, but obviously that would not fit the story. Plus of course the requisit number of different hosts have not been achieved yet to present us with the giger alien.

Exactly. That's something that a lot of viewers aren't going to understand.

Harry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:41 am 

Harry, thanks for the Spoilers bit and the spelling correction ( I am wearing a dunce cap as I type ). I figured no one would read it unless thay had seen the movie.

It would have been good to see the ships as physical models. They capture the light differently to CGI, just look better IMO plus you can later play spot the kit bits :lol:

Perhaps the Guy Pierce thing was that I knew he was under there, but again, why not use an old guy? In Hollywood, old equals liver spots!! All that Californian sun!

I am already looking forward to seeing it again, I think the second viewing may be better for me as I can relax and let the huge weight of expectation slip from my shoulders. Ridley was on an almost impossible mission really, peoples ideas of what they were about to see were possibly very well defined in their minds, if not in actual content, certainly in the tone of the movie.

Often it did not feel like an Alien movie, but I guess that was the point. Ridley moves slightly to the side to launch a new era of stories. He was on the radio yesterday stating that there are another 2 movies before we get to Alien LV426 timelines.

There are still a lot of questions to be answered..

I want to see it in IMAX, now that would look amazing, but there isn't an IMAX within a 2 hour drive. Might find a work excuse to get to one.

A Good weekend to you all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:26 am 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
No worries on the spoilers bit mate, best to be clear than for someone to stumble across a spoiler accidentally!

I know what you mean about wanting to see the ships as physical models, although I did think that the Prometheus was a very good one and looked very functional and was lit very well. It's often bad lighting that lets things down.

There is of course a very good reason why Guy Pearce played Peter Weyland: http://blog.ted.com/ted2023/

I agree totally with your comment about Ridley being on an impossible Mission in terms of pleasing a lot of people, which I mentioned in the other thread here: "The problem Prometheus will inevitably suffer is that of many films that have been released in the last 15 or so years where a lot of people who see it will think they could do a better job either writing or directing it, or that the film doesn't match their very (very) specific expectations and personal ideas & theories."

Another 2 movies?! Awesome!

Oh, the scene that got a round of applause at the cast & crew showing was the Fifield & Milburn creature attack scene in the chamber which was extremely well accomplished technically.

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:58 am 

Oh no... haven't been this disappointed at the cinema since The Phantom Menace!!!

My take on Prometheus was that it's one large muddled mess...populated by characters that are really dumb (say one thing one minute, do the exact opposite the next), and others that are able to reach some amazing conclusions based on very little information (reminded me of Basil Exposition from Austin Powers... "I'm here to spout a few lines of dialogue so as to explain what's happening).

Makes you realise what a good job Cameron did with Aliens in terms of character development.

And when things happen in a movie that defy simple logic, you know the writers are being lazy. Ridley... me thinks you sold out.

As for the Fifield and Milburn scene... you've got wonder how two such Grade A idiots made it onto a mission costing a trillion dollars. Someone in Weyland's personnel department is gonna get fired for hiring those two.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:13 pm 

Have to agree with the above.
Below id what i put on my Blog straight after seeing it but, now its out, i'll just reiterate that the whole DIY surgery thing, stapled up thing was THE problem i had with it.
Okay she does it, but she's in pretty much every scene afterwards, running down corridors, fighting, even lowering a body on a rope, with only the odd gasp or groan now and again to remind us what she's been though.
I stub my toe and its the end of the world.
"Its a great perk being a Projectionist to be paid to sit in an auditorium alone and run a film through before the public sees it. Its an even bigger perk when its a film you've been dying to see. So this morning saw me all alone in a 350-seat auditorium, being paid to watch "Prometheus" - what could be bad about that eh? Sadly, the film. It starts well and looks terrific - although setting it only 80 years from now is a BIG mistake. No way will we have technology that advanced by then. The Prometheus ship itself is excellent and i'll be buying the inevitable kit, and the interiors are very close to the Nostromo's, tying both films together there. I can buy a prequels technology being better than the film that follows as the prequels ship is a state of the art craft while Alien's is a beat-up tug. So far, so good then. The film unfolds at a nice sedate pace, again similar to Alien, there's a few lines that are near indentical from Alien & Aliens, which i'm surprised at Ridely for doing and up to the half-way point i was really rather enjoying it. But, when it all starts to kick off, something so absurd and so unbelievable happens that i was taken right out of the film with a real "whaaaat??????" moment. Its totally ludicrous and the film suffers from that moment on because of it, as you're reminded of it in pretty every secne from then on. That'd be bad enough, but then we start to get explanations. For everything. The whole point of calling Alien "Alien" was because of the mystery and how what they encounter is so Alien to us. Well now its not. This is spoiler-free, so i can't say why, but every reason and every explanation reduces the established continuity down to some dumb-ass, cliched crappy seen it all before type of SF film. Just the same way the Thing reboot was. We also get along the way, almost word for word dialogue from the first 2 films, characters stolen from the first 2 films, scenes lifted from the first 2 films. And the new creature designs... Those in Alien and Aliens are truly worthy of being called classic and iconic. These are not. Again, i refer you to the Thing reboot. Such, such a shame. The whole thing comes across not so much in the style of Alien, its much more Sunshine mixed heavily with Mission To Mars. Such a shame. If Alien is a 10 (which it is) then Aliens is a 9. And this is a 6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:28 pm 

Was reminded throughout by Contact, which was much more intelligent; especially the book.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:43 pm 
The 8th Passenger

I liked it.

Bri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:48 pm 

I've watched it again and its "Mission To Mars" i'm very strongly reminded of. Oh, and of course, Planet Of The Vampires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:59 pm 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32151E1
IMHO, the good bits were amazing... but the bad bits were atrocious.

Most of the first half, maybe more, of the movie I loved - I think, sadly, that the main letdown was in the creature design.
I hate the idea of the Space Jockey just being a suit - I could possibly even buy into them being humanoid until their role in society is chose, at which point they merge with their place of work permanently... But the way it was shown in the film was just lame to me.

The smaller proto-facehugger thing was OK, but the big toothy wossname?
Who let Ridley Scott read Hentai comics?!?!

And good god, the pointy-headed effort that was the "final reveal"?!
TERRIBLE!
It looked like a Goblin Shark crossed with some Spawn-type comic demon.

And people complain that the Xeno lifecycle timing was messed up between Alien and subsequent movies? That thing took mere SECONDS to grow IIRC!

I understand them not wanting to feature "THE" Alien - But even having similarly-themed designs would have worked better than what we got.
The thing I love about the first 3 Alien movies is that everything in them ( To a point ) seems feasible, seems as if it could work and at least makes sense within the film universe's internal logic.

The bigger the creature we saw in Prometheus, the less believable I found it.
And those we DID see seemed badly explained.

It smacked too much of Lost - Too many little mysteries being set up and not enough actual payoff.

Also, the ship flies arms FORWARD.
Come on! It HAS to! It looks stupid otherwise.

Props, cosplay pieces, upcycled ornamentation, and miscellanea;
For the discerning survivor of the apocalypse.
Steve Fletcher : Maker, Scavenger, and Junksmith.
linktr.ee/wastelandworkshop

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:51 am 

What he said :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:34 pm 

Hi all,
I just went to see it in 3D yesterday and the first thing that came on my mind when I left was "I am still hungry!".
Despite the fact that a lot of questions were answered, expecially about the Engineers (aka Space Jockey), I really feel that the puzzle is incomplete. I am now intensively looking forward for a sequel because of the missing links...
I enjoyed it and loved it but found it unfinished. I did not feel the same as in the original Alien but spotted alot of ressemblances (Prom's interior design, music, sentences even).
It left me with the same feeling as in the Star Wars Phantom Menace, meaning it's heading the right way but it will certainly become darker.
About the 3D glasses, it is pretty useless. It did not thrill me more but as I do not regularly go to the cinema I wanted to have a try.
I was really disappointed by the fact the the Space Jockey was 'just' a suite but CGI was high grade and technology as well.
The creatures were more like a 'The Thing' rip-off and I did not really see the fingerprint of Giger (Wall paintings maybe)... I assume it is only how it started and maybe later the Xenmorph race will become an entire species.
The actors were all great and it was the first time that I saw a movie with Noomi Rapace and she is hotter than the Charlize Theron (probably 'cause I prefer brunette) aside from being an excellent actress.
Fassbender was as cold as Ash could/will be and reminded me a lot of him. He always looked a bit naive but so good that you deeply felt he was hiding something(s) like he knew too much about operating the 'bulb'...
Did you notice that the scene when Noomi was 'praying' in front of the mirror has been cut ?
I will certainly buy the BD/DVD but the Director's cut
I give it a 8/10
Thanks for reading... Signing off !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:42 am 

There is a lot to be learned from this Giger picture, in fact its mostly all there:

The facetted face pods, the white character will Giger designed body detail, and a tentacled creature ( dont remember a set of pliers though :lol:

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:08 am 

Liked the film. Disappointed by the DIY surgery, it just seemed like a needless addition to the story tbh, really no need for it.

Music was amazing, just unfortunately they continued to use what was a very optimistic/major key theme when it was no longer appropriate ie. When there should have been fear/tension you heard uplifting

Rapace and Fassbender were amazing. Especially Rapace. But yeah, both very good.

I feel the proto-face huggers were misused (creating space zombies after implantation what??)

Noomi Rapace was awesome, and far hotter than Theron.

Loved the Engineer ships, and the tech. Just about made up for the overly-humanoid features.

No problem with the proto-xenomorph at the end - it's eventually going to evolve, remember! Just think instead of goblin-shark mouth, should had the tongue-mouth to link to Giger's alien.

Did I mention Noomi was awesome? ;)

As for setting it 80 years from now, why was that wrong? Alien was set in the 2120s, so to set Prometheus any closer to that would be a huge mistake. And btw, in 1890 they never thought we'd have the technology to land on the moon, so never declare the impossible, unless you are some kind of uber genius.

Liked the cruder-version of cryo-stasis. Liked the idea of space jockey's fleeing in terror from critters. And loved the xeno-shaped mural.

Sure, some characters didn't really mean much, but those who did, I felt for them when they died, such as the captain and pilots, felt glad when Theron was squeeshed. When I first saw Aliens the deaths of so many jarheads early on didn't affect me either, so go figure.

Solid 7.5/10 despite the bits that let me down.

Read it here!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6120506/1/Aliens-Heart-of-Darkness

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:26 am 

Interesting to hear so many different views from people with the same interest. I must say as from a beginning a great skeptic, and of course viewing myself as an Alien conservative, I was quite satisfied. It had some hard to digest some moments but, so does the earlier films have too if looking back (try watching them with some one who don’t like sci-fi and he will point them out whenever you like it or not). And no offense, but people who compare it to phantom menace either really found the menace a good film (which to me sounds strange) or might want to ask themselves why they bother to go to the cinema any longer as I highly doubt they ever will get any satisfaction here. Maybe they have simply out grown the medium.

Anyway for short A1 & A2 was better but PTS is a hell of a way up the ladder from other sequels besides it kills of the AVP line with Weyland so Im happy. Was it a good film? Not the best, but sure the best Alien film I have seen since 86 and I highly doubt they could done it any better.

As a scholar its my view that we finally got it all out of Scott and Giger as of what the story was all about, and it fits well with earlier notions and clues given in previous Alien related material (said and typed by people involved in Alien). This proves that they were at least true to their original background story and not making anything up to venture to far outside the Alien frame.

My likings:

+ Tempo was good, there was no boring period, of course it was Ridley Alien film so one was 100% alertness and suspense through the film in a way that you had no idea where it would turn, and you just wanted to see more, more and more. After all waiting 30 years or something drives me lika buffalo to a water hole.

+ Visually very attracting.

+ Ship and interior details was good and carried the Alien feeling.

+ Technology was ok, not overly disturbing.

+ Victim characters ok.

+ Good main actors.

+ Good creatures (knowing its Alien universe everything is automatically good here.)

+ Lots of attention was payed to original thoughts and ideas, both O’Bannons and others.

+ Good mood in nature surroundings especially inside the “temple”.

+ Great to see more of the now called engineers (ex Jockeys) and their technology.

+ Look! complete internal layout of the alien derelict, thanks!

+ Med Pod sceene actually got me on edge and was really good, although admittingly myself to be rather “immune” to onscreen horror there definitely was tention. I would imagined seeing it as a gore virgin It must be very scary, may be and equal to the original dinner scene.

My dislikings:

- Music was off track in some scenes, specially where it wasn’t needed as the dialogue was more important, and it covered it some.

- Davids pointless and reckless, non scientific experiment, although we don’t know what Weyland actually told him but I doubt his acting role unboard was meant as a science advisor (as Ash). Whats this in the jar? Uooogh, meteor shit!

- Some repeated scenes was much to similar to what we have already seen in previous films.

- PTS crew happily committing Kamakatze. Why was there an urge of death wish? Were they all religious? My ass on that they were all suicidal psychos? Wasn’t portrayed so.

- Main characters in the end “Dark horse” Ripley style “cut up and good to go” where no man (woman/ artificial person) has ever gone before. Yeah, lets get something for me to eat on this rock. A few minutes ago we had f*king Shub-Niggurath in the escape capsule so I don’t want to go there to find food.

Score, 12 hrs after watching in 3D: 4 of 5 apples.

Reason for killing the human race?
To save them selfs of course, in the future we created their doom, the Colonial Marines!

/ex Jonsey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:03 pm 

I took from the trying-to-kill-us-all theme 3 possibilities
A) the Engineer at the start was some sort of religious/zen/science nut who wanted to create life, but possibly against the wishes of it's civilisation. (Why else would he give up his life to create?) Therefore, when they discover we are still around and evolved enough to be a nuisance, they wish to eradicate us.

B) we had evolved too quickly/recklessly, and were a danger to them and to ourselves with war, greed etc so they thought to destroy us before we did them

C) seeing the effects the ampoules had on our pysiology it terrified them we found it by accident on THEIR world, so they decided to launch them at us in order to eradicate sentient life on Earth, all the better to claim as their own

I also thought, maybe it was their form of terriforming? Create life on a barren rock that will shape it and mould it (so plants right through to people have an effect on the world) and then at a certain stage, wipe out the sentient ones and claim the world as their own?

So many possibilities!

Read it here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:25 pm 
Diddly Dum... Diddly Dum... OooweeeOoooo!

Service Number: A72/TQ6.6.95356E8
I initially thought it was your option 'A' Garrowan5th, but I guess the continued visits to Earth, as suggested by the cave paintings etc, suggests it was an ongoing, monitored experiment?

As to the Engineers intentions I guess that is one of the better parts of the film, it is open to our own interpretation. :)

- Andy

"I plan to live forever.........or die trying!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:06 pm 

You see, that is the coolest with the Alien mythology : it ALWAYS raises new questions... a bit, no a lot, like life itself !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:38 pm 

clanger68 wrote:
I initially thought it was your option 'A' Garrowan5th, but I guess the continued visits to Earth, as suggested by the cave paintings etc, suggests it was an ongoing, monitored experiment?

As to the Engineers intentions I guess that is one of the better parts of the film, it is open to our own interpretation. :)

- Andy

So, option B) maybe? We have evolved into something they did not expect, and need to stop us?

Soooo many possibilities!!!

Read it here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:58 pm 

Garrowan5th wrote:
clanger68 wrote:

- Andy

So, option B) maybe? We have evolved into something they did not expect, and need to stop us?

Soooo many possibilities!!!

Could be, although it seems a weird weapon to strike mankind with, if that was their intention.

As you say, so many possibilities.

- Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:07 pm 
95.2.00 - Adios Man!

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.02160E1
Just seen this with Gareth. His opinion, I'm sure he'll tell all.

But, as for me.....

I'm just going to say I won't be seeing it again.

13th Regt. 1st Batt. 'Freebooters'

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:09 pm 

Vito wrote:
Just seen this with Gareth. His opinion, I'm sure he'll tell all.

But, as for me.....

I'm just going to say I won't be seeing it again.

Thank God you've seen it now, I was biting my tongue something rotten on Sat night!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:37 pm 

Did anyone else find this daft:

Scene, the two team members get lost, the rest of the team goes back to base. The two guys are scared, hear from the base ship that something looked to be moving within the derelict. They move back to the Big Head chamber where the ampules are oozing.

Something moves in the ooze, it pops up to see them. A white fist of a snake like creature with cobra type hood and a nasty little mouth. Despite being s**t scared, one of them is all " ah...come here, come on " like it was a kitten.................????????????????????????????????????????? and then of course it attackes.

Sorry but if that ugly little thing had popped up in front of me, I would have legged it. Certainly would not have been treating it like a cute kitten. Badly written scene. Just jarred.

Really Hope Blade Runner 2 does not happen.

Last edited by Hicks27 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.