The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Smartgun
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:00 pm 
Well I've seen a H&K MP5 with a drum so...???

I dunno coz it dosn't have a belt after Drake runs out of ammo so it musn't.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:00 pm 
It may well be disposable links, so you wouldn't see a belt as the links are discarded as rounds are fired.

SAS
Anything that, in happening causes itself to happen, happens again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:54 pm 
Quote:
Quote:Does anyone know what kinda rounds and how (is it on a belt or what?)this awesome gun fires?

Do you mean the "real steel" weapon, or the Sci-Fi "fantasy setting" stats?

Russ

"Time has little to do with infinity and jelly doughnuts."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:58 pm 
Well we've certainly all wondered how the hell it works ever since Apone asked for magazines from everybody and Vasquez pulls out the "popgun" with those two 1/4" Phone Plugs on!

;)

G

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:58 am 
Well...that was just the "battery". Without the battery, they wouldnt work:P

Derek
Pvt.
D.Smith
A04/TQ1.0.62147E1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:03 pm 
Maybe so, but it confused us all the first time didn't it! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:56 pm 
Hi Guys,

Dropping in kinda suddenly... I know, I know....
Probably because my Drop-Ship pilot suit is just about ready !

Forgot my name and password.... Even forgot the address of this forum! Yikes! :o

My Twin-brother of Lietenant Gorman suit is ready for 99%
As is my Drop-Ship pilot suit
Now working on my Colonial Marine outfit

About the smartgun:
Wouldn't it be cool to build a smartgun out of an MG42 which fires blanks? (Do they exist?)
Have seen an MG42 which fires the airsoft BBs
Is that the next best thing to get?
Seems an immense project to build one, since you also need the breast-plate and the boom, and the headset to operate the gun... Cool you guys! Photo looks awesome!

visit my site at: spaces.msn.com/agent327m/

feels nice to be back :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:10 am 
Quote:
Quote:Wouldn't it be cool to build a smartgun out of an MG42 which fires blanks? (Do they exist?)
'Cool' would be quite the understatement. However, a fully automatic MG-42 which fires blanks can also fire live ammo, and that's where things get a little sticky. In order to actually own one (here in the U.S.), you would have to hold at least a Class 3 dealer Federal Firearms License (FFL) or a Type 07 Federal Firearms License/Special Occupation Tax (FFL/SOT). On top of that, if you only hold the Class 3 FFL you will pay around $40,000 to purchase one -- that is, if you can find someone willing to part with theirs. As a Type 07 Manufacturer, you could build one for much less, but it would be considered a 'post sample' and not legal for sale to anyone but armed law enforcement agencies and possibly other government agencies.

Quote:
Quote:Have seen an MG42 which fires the airsoft BBs...
As have I...

Quote:
Quote:Is that the next best thing to get?
...but at a whopping $2,000.00 USD, I wouldn't be too quick to jump on it. :roll:

There are actually a couple of other alternatives, all depending on what you would like your end result to be...

You could build a 'dummy' gun out of a real MG-42 parts kit for about $1,000.00-$1,500.00... or a resin cast kit version for about $400.00-$500.00... or even a gas-operated, simulated fire version for probably $3,000.00+.

It's all dependent on what your expectations are, and how deep your pocketbook is. ;)
Rick "Ripstick"

[img]http://www.Route73.com/USCM/images/Ripstick_Aliens_Legacy_Banner_2006.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:35 am 
Quote:
Quote:You could build a 'dummy' gun out of a real MG-42 parts kit for about $1,000.00-$1,500.00...

But at that price you might as well kick in the extra $500 and get something that shoots. :)

I've long thought about getting a parts kit, but these days they're so hacked up that it would take a lot of work to even get it to display status. :roll:

Russ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:12 am 
Quote:
Quote:But at that price you might as well kick in the extra $500 and get something that shoots. :)
Those prices I quoted just happen to be the inflated prices that these kits have been starting to fetch over the past few months -- I picked mine up last December for about $600.00.

As far as something that shoots... well, I've seen the airsoft MG-42 shoot and it is really quite silly as an airsoft in my honest opinion -- for that heavy price tag that is. What made the MG-42 so wickedly awesome (and greatly feared) was the awful sound it made when firing full-auto at a crazy 1,500 rpm! It sounds like no other machine gun out there (except maybe for the MG-34 ;) ). It was nicknamed "Hitler's Chainsaw" by the Germans and "Hitler's Zipper" by the Allies due to the characteristic ripping sound of its ultra-high rate of fire. I've seen WWII movies dub in the wrong sound for these monsters, and it just doesn't do it justice -- nor send out the same message to the opposing forces.

Again... it all depends on what you would want your MG-42's primary function to be, and how real you want it. :)
Rick "Ripstick"

[img]http://www.Route73.com/USCM/images/Ripstick_Aliens_Legacy_Banner_2006.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:38 pm 
Quote:
Quote:Those prices I quoted just happen to be the inflated prices that these kits have been starting to fetch over the past few months -- I picked mine up last December for about $600.00.

Prices have been escalating since they banned future imports of parts kits.

Quote:
Quote:As far as something that shoots... well, I've seen the airsoft MG-42 shoot and it is really quite silly as an airsoft in my honest opinion

The box stock version I'd agree with. The gas version also (assuming you could find one) has a really low rate of fire. However, one could pretty easily upgrade the AEG version with minimal effort.

Heck, my Pulse rifle shoots 1100 rounds/minute with the minimal upgrades it has.

In a skirmish situation, I think the look of the gun does a lot for the intimidation factor. One of our players had a 1st gen M249 that honestly, wasn't all it was cracked up to be. But with the motorized box mag, it was still something you didn't want to walk in front of. :D

Russ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:02 pm 
Speaking of Smart Guns and reality...

It just hit me that Vasquez doesn't have her hand around the trigger (rear handle lever) even ONCE in the movie... even when they go into the room with the mice or right before she says "Let's rock!"... that's kinda cheap...

Also, right when they start shooting (after "Let's rock!") there are all of a sudden ammo belts hanging and dangling from both smart guns.... (right where the ammo belt is supposed to be on the MG42) I guess it has something to do with the fact that they used real MG42 which fired blanks... or did they?

Also, whaddya all think of using an Shoei MG42? It's expensive but according to certain sources it's all metal and it comes apart like a real MG42 apart from the bolt mechanism / box which is altered a bit... apparently, you're supposed to be able to remove the trigger handle and fit the trigger housing there as well (it uses external gas which means it doesn't have a battery in the trigger handle which generally causes trouble when it comes to rebuilding).... I'm honestly thinking of buying one but you really need to know what ya talking about because it's quite a costy piece of equipment...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:48 pm 
Having got to hold Os's full metal SG at the weekend i'm glad i went for a resin kit.If you want it for display then fine if you want it for costuming forget it unless you are incredibly strong,even if you had a real steadicam rig you'd not last long .To say the real deal is heavy is an understatement,i really struggled to hold it(i was exhausted but i dont think it wouldve made that much difference if i was fresh as a daisy) but its frickin awsome .
I'd highly recomend one of Matts resin kits looks the biz and held up really well and at one point i was running full pelt so it was put under alot of stress with no probs.Though you will definately need to upgrade the feedtray to take a real ammodrum(if your in the UK that'll be a major prob),ive just used a piece of 1mm ally sheet bolted to the ammo drum and what was left of my resin tray and that looks like its gonna work fine,why i never added the ally sheet before the weekend is beyond me.Mine also has a 20mm aluminium tube running through the entire length.
My sound board is rigged up to the GPZ controls at some stage i'll probably rig up the clutch lever as well(it has a switch built in).
Andy Gardener - TK2173

"The UK Garrisson,the very best there is.When you absolutely ,positvely,have to impress every mutha in the vicinity,accept no substitutes."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:51 am 
"It just hit me that Vasquez doesn't have her hand around the trigger (rear handle lever) even ONCE in the movie... even when they go into the room with the mice or right before she says "Let's rock!"... that's kinda cheap..."

That's cos you fire the gun from the front grip.

SAS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:56 am 
You fire it from the front handle? That's new to me... always thought you fired it from the rear handle and adjusted the sights from the front handle...

I can buy it from a fictious point of view but if we're talking what's realistic and not, it's obvious that the rear handle lever is connected to the trigger through the rod and that you fire by squeezeing the lever... that's probably how they did it in the movie as well (I believe they used real rebuilt mg42's in the movie which is why they disassembled all of them after filming (pretty expensive movie props).. correct me if I'm wrong)... I can't see if she's squeezing it in the scenes where she fires but she probably does... Besides... from a fictious point of view, what would the rear handle and lever be meant for? Reloading maybe? Powering up the smart gun battery? Are you SURE they really, fictiously seen, fire it from the front handle???

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:57 pm 
I have posted some pics here.:D
Andy Gardener - TK2173

"The UK Garrisson,the very best there is.When you absolutely ,positvely,have to impress every mutha in the vicinity,accept no substitutes."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:14 pm 
Great job, Andy!
Jesse
"Happiness is a warm smartgun."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:39 pm 
It says in the Technical Manual you can fire it from the front or rear grip.
The front grip also has fire mode selector etc.

Andy, I love your Smart setup and am intensely jealous!!

SAS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:10 pm 
The technical manual may say otherwise, but the only way to fire the functional props was by the brake/clutch handle of the rear grip.

Cheers,
Stefan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:50 pm 
to comment on the ammo drum question, you can see the ammo links sticking out of the gun in the hive when they were falling back

so i guess they would fire 8 MM mauser rounds like the WW2 MG42

pain can be avoided by not caring

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:23 pm 
That's 'cause it's a real MG42 in there, not a caseless squad support weapon from the future ;) The TM mentions a different round size, but still caseless.
Jesse
"Happiness is a warm smartgun."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:07 am 
Need more hero pix, Andy.
"Let's rock!"

Mike
A06/TQ2.0.22134E1
There is nothing more impressive than a bloody big Alien
wiggling on the end of a sharp stick!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:52 am 
NEAT Andy! N E A T ! Even though I'm impressed by the entire rig, I'm gaping with awe at the steadicam arm... it looks very good and compared to what a real costs... uh-huh... How much did you spend on this project and more specifically on the arm?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:42 pm 
Cheers for the comments guys.
Jesses site was a great help i was constantly refering to it.
Sidewinder i'm jealous of "Ole Painless".
The steadi cam rig,is a hybrid of my old Codycam rig which originaly had a rear mount vest so i had to make a front mount vest.I replaced the bones on my old arm to make it narrower altered the springs and made some spring covers out of 1 mm ally(it really made a difference to appearance).
I also have his new arm plans though these plans definatly need machining,whereas his old plans can be made with minimal machining
The cost so far for everything is approx £1000 plus my old rig.
If you have access to lathe/mill the vest & arm can be pretty cheap(the ally for the front vest and the new bones was £28,though that didnt include the waist band which was off my old vest).I had help from a couple of guys at work in making the vest & arm so that kept costs right down.
Andy Gardener - TK2173

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:47 pm 
Would anybody in the UK like some spent MG42 rounds for their Smartguns? PM me for more information.
Andrew "Arcy" Hiscock // PVT
A56/TQ7.3.79172E2

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next