The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1954 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 79  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:59 am 

Service Number: A01/TQ0.0.62161F1
Howdy, been a fan of the Alien movies for some time now, been getting some more into props in general recently and this place seemed like a good place to go. ^^ Hope to know y'all for a good long time.

Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:38 pm 

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.42141E1
Pug50, are you still receiving the same results from my provided email? My full email address is www.billydridder@gmail.com
From your standpoint, I'm not sure, but I guess billydridder@gmail could be suffice. :delta:

U.S.S. Fremont
9th Battalion 31st Regiment
USCM Monarchs

"Is this gonna be a stand up fight sir or another bug hunt?"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:22 am 

Service Number: A07/TQ1.0.32140E1
Aw jeez, I just realized I never did this.

So... OHAI!!!

"Aliens" is one of my favorite films ever. I was 11, going on 12, years old when it was released. Back in junior high school I had a class about movies where we studied "Alien" and that sparked my interest in the universe. To this day "Alien" is one of the few movies that scares the living daylights out of me every time I watch it, and I have yet to really play "Isolation" as a result, despite owning it since it was released.

I loved "Aliens" because, in addition to the kick butt (or not) Colonial Marines, the substory of Ripley and Newt really spoke to me. James Cameron hit it out of that park in particular (judged from an overall amazing movie) on that subplot. I hated Paul Reiser for the longest time due to how well he channeled the corporate sleaziness of Burke...

IIRC, I first saw "Aliens" when I was in junior high school, possibly eighth grade, when ABC7 (Washington D.C.s ABC affiliate) aired the movie one night, and it seemed to be a hybrid of the theatrical release and the director's cut; I distinctly recall being puzzled when I first saw the theatrical release about the absence of the sentry guns, but when I first saw the director's cut (years later) I was blown away by the initial footage of Newt and her family.

I've got to say, sadly, that I'm not a fan of "Alien 3", "Resurrection", and I was horribly disappointed by "Prometheus"... and I've had to smack Millenial generation friends when they start to talk about AvP. Of the three, I dislike "Alien 3" the least. I have high hopes that Neill Blomkamp's "Alien 5" will give the series a proper re-boot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:03 pm 
AKKURAZI

Trooper 1974 wrote:
I've got to say, sadly, that I'm not a fan of "Alien 3", "Resurrection", and I was horribly disappointed by "Prometheus"... and I've had to smack Millenial generation friends when they start to talk about AvP. Of the three, I dislike "Alien 3" the least. I have high hopes that Neill Blomkamp's "Alien 5" will give the series a proper re-boot.

Precisely this! Could just as well be my personal signature, that is exactly how I feel about the franchise.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:26 am 

Service Number: A04/TQ2.0.62135E1
Colewyn wrote:
Hey everyone. My name is Gary. I'm 40 years old. I live in Southern California about an hour north of San Diego. I love all things Sci Fi. A few of my favorites are Star Wars, Firefly, Star Trek, Aliens, Battlestar Gallactica (New and Original), Farscape....actually this list can go on a while.... I am sure you get the point.. I attend the San Diego Con every year. I am pretty new to the cosplay scene. I currently have A Jedi and Colonial Warrior (BSG original) outfit and I am working on getting Smart Gunner gear together in time for the Con this year. I will also be working on getting a set of Basic Marine Armor and pulse rifle together this year before the 2016 con. Well thats about all I can think of for now. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I recognize your screen name. Do you use it on other message boards, like say, Blackstar?

Lt. Bull of Taura here.... waving hello!

- Warrant Officer John K. "Music Man" Williams
USS Columbia
18th Battalion / 59th Regiment

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:17 am 

Service Number: A07/TQ2.0.82125E1
So with my first convention I felt that I could finally post here. :o My name is Rob & I am from Sydney, Australia. I have been lurking here for years but never created an account. Finally had the stars align so I could get a set of Spat armour & spulse rifle. A month ago went to a screening of Aliens & wore the gear & last weekend was Supanova Pop Culture Convention in Sydney. Been a huge fan of the franchise since I saw Alien as a teenager in the 70's.

with Predatorette
Pred & I.jpg
Pred & I.jpg [ 124.66 KiB | Viewed 15355 times ]

With another new marine, He's wearing a set off old Spat armour.
Old & New.jpg
Old & New.jpg [ 344.75 KiB | Viewed 15355 times ]

At the Aliens screening
Drinking.jpeg
Drinking.jpeg [ 57.85 KiB | Viewed 15355 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:32 am 
Pint of AB negative please

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.12136E1
Welcome aboard Rob

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:39 am 

Service Number: A07/TQ2.0.82125E1
nocternus wrote:
Welcome aboard Rob

Thanks Kris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:05 am 

Hallo, I'm SM.

I've been doing this Timeline thing for about 15 years.

And only just realised it's been about 15 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:58 pm 

I'm Keely, a cosplayer, mom of three and all-around geek out of DFW. I've been an Aliens fan since I was 7 and always loved Newt, so when my little blonde-haired daughter finally got old enough I decided it was time to make a Newt costume for her!

That, of course, means I need to be Ripley and my boys Hicks and Hudson. You can follow the build on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15528 and our cosplay site: https://www.facebook.com/munchkincosplay

We'll be wearing them at DCC Fan Days in October and likely FenCon in September here in the Dallas area.

Mutants, Maidens & Munchkins Cosplay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:06 pm 

Service Number: A07/TQ1.0.32140E1
Welcome, Keely! That's an awesome Ripley you've got going there... :like:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:54 am 

Heya everyone.

My name is Ed. And I'm a xenoholic. My first exposure to the Alien franchise was when I was around about 8 years old thanks to my older brother. He had seen Aliens at a friends house and became a fan of it, enough so to start buying the UK Aliens magazine and the Kenner toyline. I have fond memories of playing with the toyline and actually helped him find some of the rarer fgures like Vasquez and Hudson.

The first movie I saw from the franchise was Alien3 and I worked my way backwards from there (because that was the order my brother got the movies on VHS) and they became regular viewing for me. The kind of movies you can repeatedly watch again and again and never get bored of them. And while I never collected them, my brother always bought the Dark Horse comics (which he has every single comic the company has published with Aliens content) so I was able to read a lot of them. Also played a lot of the video games based on the franchise, the Alien VS Predator arcade game being a personal favourite.

It was about 12 years ago that I started going to conventions and got to meet my first Alien guest, Paul McGann. At the time I had a (very rough) copy of the Alien3 workprint on VHS and mentioned to him about all the deleted material of his that was in the workprint and he seemed very open about discussing the movie. Since then I've been meeting the cast of the movies and collecting autographs from them. A couple of years ago I was able to get myself one of then HCG Bess Brown M41A Pulse Rifles which now hangs on my wall.

I've seen the UKCM at multiple conventions I have attended and you guys always seem like a decent friendly group. Just last weekend at London Film Comic Con a couple of the members I talked to were friendly and informative and pointed me in the right direction to this forum. I've been telling myself for a long while to start putting a costume together and now I'm planning on doing so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:57 am 

Welcome Ed Glad you made it here and that you have enjoyed meeting the UKCM, Please any more questions you have do ask, Hope to see you on the ready line soon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:32 pm 

Hello! I'm Sean. Been toying with the idea of a Colonial Marine for some time now. Some of my good buddies have marine costumes. So I finally buckled down and started on my armor. It'll be done in time for Wizard World Chicago in August. Here are some pics of my work in progress. Thanks for your time! ;) (Oh, by the way... this is a foam build)

11755659_10204395754795885_4465920688694321051_n.jpg
11755659_10204395754795885_4465920688694321051_n.jpg [ 74.69 KiB | Viewed 15673 times ]

11745486_10204395754915888_242900549686743511_n.jpg
11745486_10204395754915888_242900549686743511_n.jpg [ 57.89 KiB | Viewed 15673 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:59 pm 
reload

Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.12136E1
Welcome Sean!
Quite some heavy damage on your armour. Well done.

GERCM - Executive Officer (XO)
UKCM Foreign Legion: The Deviant Dragoons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:47 am 

Welcome Sean loving that damage too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:58 pm 

My name is Bob. I have been a lurker on this site since about 2007/8, and I thought I might finally register just to say hello, so "hello". Been a huge fan of the Alien franchise (except 3/4 obviously), and the information provided on this forum has been invaluable for my research over the years. Just wanted to say thank you for that. Looking forward to being able to finally join the discussion.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:27 pm 

Hello all. I am glad to be here. I am a combat veteran and retired after 23 years. I received 2 college degree's while in the military and currently work with homeless veterans. I also want to share some info.. Although I love military cosplay I am also practical in that I am not going to pay over $200.00 for hand-made CM camo when I will not be wearing it ALL THE TIME. I travel to Europe frequently and found...POLISH DESERT CAMO.
Whadda think? It looks close enough to Colonial Marines camo and MUCH CHEAPER. You can find it on Ebay under "Polish Desert airsoft BDU"

I have always wanted to do what I call "Progressive" cosplay meaning "What if..." The Colonial Marines will evolve as all militaries do so I was wondering, " What would an updated uniform look like?"

helikon_tcu_shirt_pl_desert_1.jpg
helikon_tcu_shirt_pl_desert_1.jpg [ 157.99 KiB | Viewed 15498 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:37 pm 
reload

Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.12136E1
Welcome Eric!
PLD camo is indeed a good „alternative“.
We are open minded; after all it is YOUR costume.
That being said feel free to share your “What if” / Extended Universe ... approach to it.
If you are traveling to UK or Germany check if you can join a Con.

GERCM - Executive Officer (XO)
UKCM Foreign Legion: The Deviant Dragoons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:58 pm 

Actually I am leaving for Germany on Sept. 13th for about 3 weeks. I have family over there in the Wurzburg area. Franken in Bavaria. I am hoping to have an easy time finding the Polish camo in the local surplus stores plus I see you are in Hamburg. GREAT!!! I will stay in touch :delta:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:45 am 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
Eric Voiers wrote:
Hello all. I am glad to be here. I am a combat veteran and retired after 23 years. I received 2 college degree's while in the military and currently work with homeless veterans. I also want to share some info.. Although I love military cosplay I am also practical in that I am not going to pay over $200.00 for hand-made CM camo when I will not be wearing it ALL THE TIME. I travel to Europe frequently and found...POLISH DESERT CAMO.
Whadda think? It looks close enough to Colonial Marines camo and MUCH CHEAPER. You can find it on Ebay under "Polish Desert airsoft BDU"

I have always wanted to do what I call "Progressive" cosplay meaning "What if..." The Colonial Marines will evolve as all militaries do so I was wondering, " What would an updated uniform look like?"

Welcome Eric and you have a great idea there that many of us use as fill in cammies till we can afford the real deal. Me and my wife both run the Polish Cammies.

20813_10151421164198477_1209040532_n.jpg
20813_10151421164198477_1209040532_n.jpg [ 81.68 KiB | Viewed 15410 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:50 am 
Veni, vidi, bibi cerevisia

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.52130E1
Greetings fellow fans and marines!

My name is Steve Coffman, hence scoffman or scoff, if you prefer. I too was a lurker for a year or two, and I was especially interested in Sgt Kitten's threads on his various project builds. My favorite Sci-Fi movie of all time is Blade Runner and I became interested in prop replicas primarily due to the iconic Blade Runner Blaster. I now own 8 different versions, three of which I assembled, painted and completed myself and three that I am still working on and are in various stages of completion (two of which are Rick Ross's designs, so for those of you that are BR fans and have seen his work on PropSummit or the RPF you'll know what I'm referring to; he's an incredible artist.)

I am also a big fan of Starship Troopers, and I own two complete sets of screen used armor and uniforms as well as an original Morita rifle shell (and a replica I'm still working on) and other original items. It's kind of a cheesy B-class movie but with an A-movie big budget; there's just something about it I love - along with Paul Verhoeven's other Sci-Fi movies, RoboCop and Total Recall; not the greatest movies but a lot of fun to watch. I loved Kurtwood Smith in the original Robocop: Clarence Boddicker - "I don't know. I don't know. Maybe I'm just not making myself clear. I don't want to f*** with you, Sal, but I got the connections. I got the sales organization. I got the muscle to shove enough of this factory so far up your stupid wop a** that you'll s*** snow for a year." Great stuff! From That 70's Show: Red Forman: "If the US government decides to stick a tracking device up your a**, you say, "Thank You. And God Bless America.""

Obviously I'm also a big fan of Aliens and the original Alien (in fact Ridley Scott is my favorite director, followed by Stanley Kubrik and of course James Cameron) and I've recently been working on an USCM oufit. I've got the uniform done (Helikon Polish Desert BDUs with Desert camo patches - yeah, yeah, I know not SA but I prefer the look of a nice embroidered patch vs. something printed on silk or another fabric anyway. And the Helikon BDUs were only like $100-125 for the set even with a GBP conversion cost vs. $350-400 for a set of SA BDUs. I think it looks pretty decent - call it an USCM Desert uniform :D )

I've also got the armor now, from Spat (awesome work, it was well worth the wait!) I'm now working on weathering my Pulse Rifle, which is why I was so interested in Sgt Kitten's message threads - I too have a Snow Wolf Airsoft PR, and his information on breaking it down has been invaluable (as well as other contributions to the thread by other forum members.) I've picked up a LOT of hints, tips and tricks from this web forum, and I appreciate it VERY much! It's torn down now and just awaiting new paint - I'm hoping the weather holds out this weekend so I can get it done and start on making it look more realistic.

My next project after that is an USCM shoulder lamp and then I'll be pretty close to being done with my USCM outfit and build.

Thanks again guys! Carry on, and have a better one!

scoff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:07 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Welcome Scoff! I'd love to see pictures of your collections. ST is a guilty pleasure for a lot of us and certainly has a connection to Aliens thanks to Cameron being inspired by the original book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:14 pm 

Morning all, names Glenn. Prior Marine and fan of the Colonial Marines of the distant future. Saw action as enlisted flight crew/ Door gunner in the Marine Corps while attached to CH46 / CH53 squadrons. I am wanting to portray the future Corps by way of Drop Ship crew/pilot. Im wanting to start by altering my flight helmet to a screen accurate example. Are there resin or any other kits one can purchase to get this done, the end caps appear very involved and complicated. Pleased to meet you all. SEMPER FI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:30 pm 
Bug Stomping Since Birth

SteveO from New Jersey here. Been lurking for a little bit. Big fan of Aliens since seeing the movie in the theater when it came out in 1986. I wanted to be a Colonial Marine ever since. Trying to lock down some Polish Desert Camo BDUs. Going to try a set of foam armor. Will probably pick up a Spulse Rifle Kit, helmet and accessories. Will also need some patches but heard Chef is the go-to guy. Sent him a PM.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1954 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 79  Next