The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Found Parts: Helmet Ear Defender (re: Another discovered )
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:45 am 

This is another item that took about 5 years of searching to discover.

The correct ear defender...

Here is the original thread, now in the forum archives:

http://forum.alienslegacy.com/viewtopic.php?t=2080

First, (like the other threads) you'll have to endure my back story of research.. HA!
It's kinda' long, but this is in fact the short version :)

If you take a look at many of the reference photos, of the original helmets, including this production photo of Frost's helmet, you will see some odd markings on the lower part of the ear piece.

(I later realized that this was due to some of the ear defenders mounted upside down)

This is evident when compared to this photo:

I would like to thank whomever sent me this photo some time ago, but I unfortunately forgot who it was.
From what I remember, a couple members did find the correct ear defender (through ebay?), but at the same time, these ear defenders came with no clues as to their origin, other than
the word ITEX, stamped into its surface.
As a result, the correct ear defender remained unidentified.

(If those people are still members here, please correct me if I am mistaken)

When my hunt began, researching the word "itex" did (and still does) immediately lead to the
"ITEX Corporation", which is a barter/trade system, designed to replace cash.

That was obviously no help.

The next lead I came upon was a place called "Stephans-Itex".
A safety company with a location stated as Leiston, Suffolk.

It seemed like a good lead, but two things nagged at me.

First, the company is called Stephans-Itex... not simply Itex.
Second, the more I searched, the more often the word ITEX would appear alongside different companies, all of which were involved in the safety and construction trade.

For example, there is a steel fabricator/ importer company named "Itex", located in Germany.
There is a safety clothing manufacturer named "Itex Inc"., located in Englewood, Colorado.
There is also an annual "Itex convention", [International Innovation and Technology Exhibition],
with a large focus on Building & Construction technology.

...so on and so on.

Because of these factors, for the longest time I was certain that ITEX was in fact an industry standard (along the lines of "BS" British Standards, or U.L. Underwriter Laboratories).
Either that or it must have been a slang term for some universal lingo in the safety industry.
I decided to leave the Stephans-Itex lead behind and search for something better.

But, as I researched all these companies... including when they were formed and what products they manufacturer (or harder still, what products they No Longer manufacturer), I discovered that these places in fact have nothing in common and only use the word "ITEX" because it fits in with their company name, such as "International Textile”, located in Citrus Heights, CA.
(another eventual dead end)
When none of these panned out, I went back to researching "Stephans-Itex".

I checked their website:
www.stephens.dircon.co.uk
... but it no longer existed.

Their email address was also no good.
stephens@dircon.co.uk

Also, contacting them through distributor websites, such as this:
http://www.hub-4.com/directory/contact.php?id=2173
Only resulted in bounced messages... "can not be found".

I turned to the "Internet Archive" and dug through the old company web pages.
Although I did not find any valid contact information, I stumbled across this sentence:

"Stephens-Itex Safety Limited was formed in 1986, integrating the businesses of Wm. Stephen & Sons and Itex Safety.
The former had, for more than eighty years, been the dominant manufacturer of welding protection equipment in the UK and had successfully diversified into general safety products and protective clothing."

Quote:
...Wm. Stephen & Sons and Itex Safety.

That was it!.. I knew I just might be on to something.

I also learned that:

"Itex Safety had enjoyed market leadership in eye protection, having a significant share of the safety helmet market, and important footholds in the supply of prescription spectacles, safety
footwear and numerous other safety aids."

I was then convinced that the ear defender must have been a product of "Itex safety", before the combining of the two companies.

It still remained that "Stephans-Itex" appeared to have vanished from existence and I felt this is where the story was going to end.... Just a hunch with little proof.

I still wondered however, why certain websites were currently offering Stephans-Itex products, when the company no longer existed.

Only after manipulating the old web address from "stephens.dircon.co.uk"... to "dircon.co.uk/~stephens", (within the Internet Archive system) did I hit upon more clues
(additional archived web pages).

I then discovered that in July 2000, Stephens-Itex Safety Ltd. was acquired by the "ADCO Group".
(Adco Protective Technologies)
http://www.safetyproductsplc.com/home.htm

After reading up on the Adco group, I learned that in 2002, ADCO acquired eyewear company, "Iles Optical" and combined it with, "Stephens-Itex Safety" and formed the sub-company,
"Iles-Stephens Limited"... then sold the whole thing in November 2006, to a company called "JSP", (Established in 1964 as a manufacturer of safety clothing and gloves),

www.jsp.co.uk

From their website:

"JSP Ltd is pleased to announce that it has now completed the purchase of the goodwill and assets
of Iles Optical and Stephens Itex from the Administrators of Adco Protective Technologies on 27
November 2006.

..Which brings us to present day: (just last week)

I sent a letter to JSP...

I quickly received a reply from JSP's - "Customer Services Executive"
as well as the representative for the "Stephens-Itex Welding division of JSP Ltd."

Both confirming that the photo I sent to them is in fact a carryover product from "Itex Safety", and then produced by "Stephans-Itex".

They believe the ear defenders were discontinued "..about 10 years ago".
(my research leads me to believe it was closer to fifteen or twenty years)

They provided me with the correct model number of the ear defender as well as the description from the original brochure.

Now.. if you have read all of this and are still listening...

Here you are:

"ITEX Ear Defender" [model No. 212]

"Slim line cups contain special acoustic foam pads for protection from noise levels between
90-120 dB according to frequency.
Ear seals are designed to give a soft comfortable fit and the lightweight product can be
worn in conjunction with goggles & helmets."

I would like to end this post with a shiny new photo of the original brochure, but unfortunately I cannot.
The two ladies I spoke with (who both were of immense help) informed me that although they would be happy to email me a copy of the brochure, they have no scanner in their office.

I'm pretty bummed out about that, because although it's awesome to have tracked down the defender, the final element of actually SEEing the original product brochure, looks like it may not happen.

The Welding division rep did however describe the brochure to me:

"The original Itex brochure consists of a leaflet which is a A3 size, folded over. It is dark blue with the words "ITEX Safety & Protection" printed on it.
It has a photograph of 6 products, on the front page, and the ear defenders in question is amongst them".

*(If anyone finds this brochure, please...please send me a copy)*

Both of the people I talked to were personally curious as to why I, someone half a world away, was so interested in a long discontinued UK ear defender.
So, I explained how my years of research finally lead me to them and also sent them a couple close-up screen grabs from the film and explained that there is a collective worldwide group of costume/ prop builders who create "what we consider" some of the best replicas in the world.

I also pointed out that ITEX was now (in a way) connected to what many consider to be one of the best Sci-fi/ Horror films of all time.

So perhaps, if anyone is located near Worsham mills, Oxfordshire, I can forward the contact details and maybe someone can arrange a walk in. (..who knows, it may work ;)

They were extremely cool about the entire story, so perhaps they might be open to arranging for someone to obtain a copy of the brochure.

So.. there you have it.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the ear defender.
Five years wraped up into one long, (and hopefully not too boring) post.

Edited title to reflect content for eventual archiving. - Russ

Last edited by TS826 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:58 am 

A few added notes:

* The circle logo is also visible in different scenes of the film.

* In all my searching I've found that the
"Bilson Leightning - L1" ear muff and the "Wolfcraft" brand ear muff (mentioned in the archived thread) are the two closest matches, to the original ear defender.

* I'm wondering... is/ was this the last unidentified piece of the standard marine armor?

Last edited by TS826 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:29 am 
"Smart"-Ass

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.72156E1
Man, I love seeing stuff like this. The last "big find" I remember was the identification of the Motion Tracker "pump widget" part. Way to go!

M-56 Smartgun Operator, A/3Btn, II CMEF, USS Sephora

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:02 am 

:shock: Now, that's interesting background info! :D
Nice detective work!
So the standard marine outfit should really be covered (unless the helmet band standard :P ).
I think the two item we have the least info about are the actual welder used in the SU welders and the MT pump.

Cheers,
Stefan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:47 am 

Great work Mr. Holmes :)

I think I have received an older brochure with my ear defenders some years ago - I`ll look tonight and post a scan of it.

There was only one site where I found some info about Stephen Itex but the link doesn`t work today :( I remember there was some sort of list but it was more a general listning of different manufactors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:07 pm 
Lifer

Well done on the research!

Congratulations on this elusive part! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:33 pm 

found two images on some of my old CDR`s - hope to find the complete brochure tonight.

P1010027.JPG
P1010027.JPG [ 66.86 KiB | Viewed 7041 times ]

P1010026.JPG
P1010026.JPG [ 61.25 KiB | Viewed 7042 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:13 am 

found it - here you go :)

Someone should call Lawton Tools LTD in Cheshire - oh well maybe to late LOL

I really like the sentence "...and make working a pleasure."

Think of a soaked man breathing dust and dirt while working with a pneumatic hammer at 35°C at a building site BUT of course he`s wearing ITEX ear muffs.

img912.jpg
img912.jpg [ 1.77 MiB | Viewed 7041 times ]

img911.jpg
img911.jpg [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 7042 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:21 pm 

Very Cool.

Thank you Stephan for posting these.
My mind is now at peace.

Quote:
Think of a soaked man breathing dust and dirt while working with a pneumatic hammer at 35°C at a building site BUT of course he`s wearing ITEX ear muffs.

I've been in that very spot.
And ya' know... it sucked.
But then again, I didn't have ITEX ear muffs..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:49 am 
Range Safety Officer

That's a shame.. I hear they make working a pleasure..;)

"You are not your Drop Count."

Post subject: Ear Defender
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:57 am 
What is the approximate current market $ value of these? Are they showing up on eBay at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:38 am 

I guess the price depends heavily on the demand - I finally got my pair for 2 pounds on eBay in 2004 and I was the only bidder.

The ebay main description was "ITEX EAR DEFENDERS" :lol:

I remember someone sold his second ear piece on eBay some years ago and got around 50 or 70 pounds for it.

These show up on ebay very rarely - well who`s looking for 20 years old ear muffs when you can buy a brand new pair for 1.99 GBP ?