The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Forum Update
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:20 am 
Sgt. Munkey

Service Number: A35/TQ9.0.13706E5
Been a while huh?

So Mike reached out to me about upgrading/switching the forum software for the AL.

Currently the site is on my server (has been for over a decade now I think), Gareth used PHPBB3 as a base and did a LOT of modifications. I did a bit of backend stuff, but was mainly tasked with trying to make look and feel of the forum look like the original.

I have over the past month been looking at some alternatives to PHPBB3, or possibly upgrading. Each option poses it's own problems. Obviously, the forum would need to keep all the content, there's 25 years worth of data here and that needs to be preserved. Switching forum software is going to be a HUGE undertaking. As for updating PHPBB3, this is also an option. I can make a backup of the database and the site files and try it. However, can I say with 100% certainty I can restore it if it messes up...? Ummmm, no.

So, I'll continue to experiment with PHPBB3 alternatives, or it might come down to me trying the PHPBB3 upgrade and going with the Samuel L Jackson line from Jurassic Park "Hold onto your butts".

Side note about SSL: seen this cropping up on some of the posts, sadly, not a free service my server provider offers. To be frank, I've put plenty of blood and treasure into the AL in the past 20 years (and continue to do) and don't really fancy footing the bill for SSL.

http://www.facebook.com/paulmaitlandart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:53 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Well one of the other forums I frequent, after some major drama setup a 504 (fraternity, tax free) and does a yearly fundraiser to pay the server bills. They also keep their own physical server and pay for internet and to have it colocated in a data center. Partly this was done as the site was a world events focus group and well stuff has been getting scrubbed from the internet and it is a treasure trove of information after close to 30 years of being around. I doubt we will have to go that route, if ever.

This is NOT a light hearted discussion.

A yearly fundraiser to pay the bills is common, the question is how do we setup the handle of funding and ensure that the torch is handled to the next person? How does that discussion start?

How do we make sure things don't disappear suddenly? Say if someone passes away or one managing things loses a few marbles for a period of time.

The other thing with upgrades is of course backing up, the problem is that you are working with a live database and that is never an easy thing to handle. You will take things down for a stateful backup and then you have to verify that the backup works by setting up a clone and verifying that it works, then proceeding. All pain in the butt stuff to do and anything can go wrong and critically break at any point in time in the process with no warning despite all the vendors saying it won't break, it won't die, it is supported only to discover, yeah buddy you are hosed, try again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:55 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
Thank you, Paul!

I've been known to say that I'd die on the hill of upgrading our forum to a more modern and secure platform while retaining the content we have. I'm glad and relieved to see this massive undertaking rolling now. While I'm not so technically gifted, please let me know what I can do to get this going and maintained. The AL means a great deal to me, so I want to see it thrive for years to come.

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:50 pm 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Yup, wot she said!

In regards to the possibility of future member-funded hosting costs ... currently I pay the RPF US$36 (which is very high for member forum fees, *I* think, esp given the number of Premium members on there).
I'd much rather give that yearly sum to this forum, than that other one. Just my $0.02, I know others will not want to pay, and that's cool, not wanting to exclude anyone, especially over $. We're a bit too niche to be too picky, anyway :D