The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Question for Those Who Made Foam Armor
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:40 pm 

Hi folks!

I wanted to reach out to those who have made their armor out of EVA foam.

What was your experience? Did you end up upgrading or are you happy with it?

What pattern did you use to make the armor itself?

Did you just heat seal the EVA or did you coat it too? If so on the later, with what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:01 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
eva foam only lasts on average about two events. You are then either forced to replace or upgrade to either leather or abs or aluminum or something else.

Post subject: Re: Question for Those Who Made Foam Armor
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:04 am 

I haven't used foam but I can recommend BigbisonT's templates that were drawn up as PDFs by martinr1000. You might need to adjust sizing of some parts but it is a great place to start from. Maybe look into some of the thermoplastics like worbla, depending on budget :).

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18692&p=266805&hilit=templates#p266805

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:57 pm 
Marine Raider

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.92155E1
knoxvilles_joker wrote:
eva foam only lasts on average about two events. You are then either forced to replace or upgrade to either leather or abs or aluminum or something else.

This is a wrong. If you plastidip and take care of your foam armor it will last more than two events. I wore EVA foam costumes for 20 events and went strong. It all depends on how strudy you build it. The only think that damaged was the paint that cracked from flexing.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:25 pm 

Bacta Baby wrote:
knoxvilles_joker wrote:

This is a wrong. If you plastidip and take care of your foam armor it will last more than two events. I wore EVA foam costumes for 20 events and went strong. It all depends on how strudy you build it. The only think that damaged was the paint that cracked from flexing.

I was going to ask, what if you plastidipped or coated it with polymer? Did you make your own pattern or did you use one already published?

Post subject: Re: Question for Those Who Made Foam Armor
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:26 pm 

djdrthq wrote:
I haven't used foam but I can recommend BigbisonT's templates that were drawn up as PDFs by martinr1000. You might need to adjust sizing of some parts but it is a great place to start from. Maybe look into some of the thermoplastics like worbla, depending on budget :).

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18692&p=266805&hilit=templates#p266805

Awesome, thanks!

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:22 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Bacta Baby wrote:
knoxvilles_joker wrote:

I am fairly hard on things. That is part of my problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:51 pm 

Side note, if you need flexible paint I've just tried out this stuff and it's amazing.
Totally flexible like a rubber skin when dried, water soluble which makes thinning and cleaning up super easy, no smell or toxic chemicals. Throw on a thin layer of the gloss or matt sealer and it's totally non-tacky when dry. I've been using it this past week on a project and I'm really impressed.

https://www.tyges.co.uk/product/new-imp ... exi-paint/