The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Custom Drop ship pilot options
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:40 am 
Ace of Spades.

Service Number: A05/tqo.o62143E1
I’m putting together a custom drop ship pilot costume and I’m looking for advice from other pilots about thier accessories and weapon options ... I already have a lightly modified SPH4 , flightsuit , flak vest , all patches and all leather boots ... I am planning to use a modified L85A1 for rifle but am on the fence for a pistol. I like the VP but am leaning towards a vintage 1911A1 with a vintage canvas tanker holster sewn in the checker pattern . What equipment am I missing ? What have others done ? I would love to see pics of your pilots !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:23 am 

Service Number: A12/TQ2.0.22147E1
Honestly? I decided on a subgun for my drop crew getup if I can ever get it finished. I've got an MP7 waiting to be figured out on how to be attached to the seat or something so it'd go along if I ever had to pull the loud handle, and a 1911 needing a vest. ^^

Post subject: Re: Custom Drop ship pilot options
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:02 am 

Might weigh in here, purely because you are asking.

In my experience from the military, aircrews wore small pistols back in the day because they were inconspicuous and easy to carry on their gear in case of emergency. RAF pilots used to carry Walther PPKs, so I would imagine that in the Alien universe a VP70 would be the ideal crew pistol.
In terms of a rifle, also from my experience in the British Military, our crews carried a shortened down version of the L85A2, which you can get an airsoft version of. If you were wanting to modify something yourself that is in line with the Aliens universe but not canon then perhaps an M41A without the grenade launcher and with a shorter barrel would work. If you are using your imagination then you cant really go wrong with something like an MP5 or 7 like you say.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:37 pm 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Good thread 8)
(as you said though Randall, would be better with pics :D )

I'm working on a pilot's outfit too. I've got some form of flight/parachute harness, which I reckon looks the business (will post a pic later).
Toying with the idea of an oxygen mask and little O2 bottle.

My SPH4 is ages away from being finished, as I need to be in the right frame of mind (to not rush it & F it up).

Re crew weapon ... been thinking about this for a while. The MP7's a solid choice, but for me, I was thinking something more in keeping with the Aliens universe. Something like a Kriss Vector, but with some form of body kit to look more like a pulse rifle maybe.
I also love Spat's Shorty, but the back end isn't quite right ...
Attachment:
005-spatcave-m41k-shorty-spulse-rifle-500x500.jpg
005-spatcave-m41k-shorty-spulse-rifle-500x500.jpg [ 118.38 KiB | Viewed 27 times ]

pic used without permission, from his webstore, but I'm 99% sure he'd be ok with it - http://spatcave.com/store/tv-film-replica-weapons/m41k-shorty-spulse-rifle

I can't speak to the real steel, as I've only the airsoft versions, but the VP-70 & the 1911 are both pretty comparable size-wise. VP-70 is a 1.2kg beast, and the 1911 is approx .9kg [Tokyo Marui with metal Guarder kit]. Wikipedia puts the real ones at .82Kg for the VP-70 [empty], and the 1911 at 1.1kg. Conversely, the PPK is approx 550 - 650 grams.
Attachment:
My pistols.jpg
My pistols.jpg [ 195.31 KiB | Viewed 27 times ]

I also like what some of the US helicopter pilots in Vietnam would do - ol skool cowboy setups; I've been looking at a lot of ref pics for helmet paint scheme inspiration.