The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Aliens Prop Auction
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:30 pm 
Libo Buddy

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.52139E1
If you got the money, and i mean money you can buy Sgt. Apones full armor set, The Nostromo Landing Craft and a bunch of other items form the Aliens & Predator Franchise. Also there are alot of other cool items as well.

https://content.propstore.com/auction/E ... 1595887109

1st Marine Battalion
29 Palms, Ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:32 am 

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.02154E1
Damn!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:23 am 
GarageGeek

man that Apone armor is a whole fuckin hodge-podge of various parts and repro stuff. I pity the fool who bids on that rather then just buying a set from Terry. I bet it wont sell, then they'll sell it outside of auction or trade it.

https://usm.propstoreauction.com/m/lot- ... 3Fpage%3D2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:18 am 
Libo Buddy

It does have a pretty price tag on it lol

1st Marine Battalion
29 Palms, Ca

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:57 am 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
seven wrote:
man that Apone armor is a whole fuckin hodge-podge of various parts and repro stuff. I pity the fool who bids on that rather then just buying a set from Terry. I bet it wont sell, then they'll sell it outside of auction or trade it.

Historically most of the original sets of armour out there are jumbled up in some way - this is mostly due to the fact that at the 'original' auction at Bonhams back in 1987 in the UK, many of the sets sold were mixed up. Presumably whoever sorted them out wasn't too bothered about, or didn't even notice the names inside the components other than the chest armour. When I bought my Hudson set (not at that auction) the crotch guard was Dietrich's and the trousers were Apones for example.

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:15 am 

If anyone is bidding on anything in the auction be sure to remember the additional 25% buyers premium that needs to be paid on top of whatever the winning bid closes at.

All right, sweethearts, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the Corps! A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE the Corps!

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:22 am 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

Harry Harris wrote:
When I bought my Hudson set (not at that auction) the crotch guard was Dietrich's and the trousers were Apones for example.

I'm surprised the various collectors haven't gotten together and swapped parts around to put the sets back together...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:40 pm 

Ttaskmaster wrote:
Harry Harris wrote:
When I bought my Hudson set (not at that auction) the crotch guard was Dietrich's and the trousers were Apones for example.

I'm surprised the various collectors haven't gotten together and swapped parts around to put the sets back together...

Was just thinking the same thing. I can only believe that perhaps the price tags involved and understandable caution, make it a bit difficult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:05 pm 
GarageGeek

Id love to someday put a record together of all the auctions and what went where. It would be great to one day see all the parts sorted properly. Sounds like my heart would skip a beat knowing how the early auctions were handled and parts were sorted.

Remember the Ugnauts in Empire strikes back?
When theyre throwing around parts of 3-3pO and Chewies trying to wrangle all the pieces.

50CEC1F5-DBA0-4210-94F2-FA1DC334A804.jpeg
50CEC1F5-DBA0-4210-94F2-FA1DC334A804.jpeg [ 313.35 KiB | Viewed 1355 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:10 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Certainly in the early days these pieces weren't as revered as they are now, nor did they have the same high value at auction - both facts are of course linked.

I remember seeing one UK prop and kit dealer who had one of the small square boxes that are inside the Sentry Gun cases. At model shows he used it to keep his cash in.

Harry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:54 am 
Libo Buddy

Harry Harris wrote:
seven wrote:

Historically most of the original sets of armour out there are jumbled up in some way - this is mostly due to the fact that at the 'original' auction at Bonhams back in 1987 in the UK, many of the sets sold were mixed up. Presumably whoever sorted them out wasn't too bothered about, or didn't even notice the names inside the components other than the chest armour. When I bought my Hudson set (not at that auction) the crotch guard was Dietrich's and the trousers were Apones for example.

Harry

Curious, does the production company get all that money or does it go back to the studio that fronted it?

1st Marine Battalion
29 Palms, Ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:01 pm 
GarageGeek

pretty sure the money goes right to Fox. they're like "get rid of this trash, we want our money back".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:57 am 
GarageGeek

Were all the Aliens items pictured in the '87 Bonhams catalogue, and does anyone know what the cover looks like or have any scans?
theres also an old thread on here i was looking at recently where someone owned three or 4 original BDU.
cant' seem to find it again.

Last edited by seven on Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:58 am 
Moderator & screen used

I have the catalogue somewhere I think, or definitely a photocopy of it. Hardly any of the items were photographed though if I recall correctly. I’ll have to dig it out later.

Harry