The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:55 am 
GarageGeek

Damn dude, inspiring work.

Post subject: Re: Yet another PR build
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:57 pm 

Service Number: A42/TQ1.0.01247E0
A bit more work on the Mag base/battery holder.

I had these in my bin so I clipped them on

Using a 9V for now, will probably use 2 18650s in the final config

Next I made a wire channel and placed the other contacts leaving them slightly proud. I also attached the mag base ensuring everything was lined up just right.

Now I am waiting on a micro switch to be able to easily turn it off when the mag is in after that I think I am good to go for assembly. I am debating on whether I should find a better spot for the battery internal to the gun but there is very little space in there and changing the battery would be problematic. Either way the effort was worth while as I can use the contacts to trigger the mag reload as well and would not have to rely on a switch. I am contemplating adding a capacitor to the Majenko to see if I can keep it alive for a few seconds when you remove the mag also but I have not done a test on the size of cap I would need.

http://www.samuland.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:08 pm 

getting closer still...

I worked on mounting the SPAS slide to the 870 and did a few more iterations of the 3d printed connector block. Once the 870 barrel was in place the slide was very stiff and had quite a bit of friction as the barrel is tapered. This is the beauty of 3d printing. After a nip and tuck this is where it ended up. It holds and slides perfectly now even without glue, but I did add a smear of e6000 and then "tack welded" it with a couple of drops of CA glue. I will make this 3d file available to anyone who wants it.

In the last post I posted this image,

it turns out a layer of electrical tape was not enough to insulate the clips. This caused a short and caused the 9V to expend all of it's energy in an hour. I did not know this until I tried to reconnect the clip to the gun and it didn't work. I tested the battery and it was dead.(5ish volts) so in goes a new battery and within 2 minutes it's to hot to touch. Ah! I see now...
So a little probing with the multimeter and I figured it out. I decided to replace the all of the parts and use a few layers of insulation. This worked perfectly and led to assembly

I put a bit of Kapton tape on the Majenko to cover it and then added a small piece of plastic to cover the whole lot so when you slap in the clip nothing gets hit or snags, but I failed to take a picture. If I reopen the gun I will take a photo and post it.

After assembly this is where I am now, just need to deal with the window on the counter, bullets in the mag and then the sling.

Last edited by sgmorton on Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:15 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Really gorgeous!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:25 pm 

so pretty :) well done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:38 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ3.0.02118E1
Enjoyed watching this build! Nice work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:44 pm 

I am getting to the end of my build now... I added the window by getting some red gel covers normally used in photography and putting a piece of window tint on it. It gave it the look I was after ... that smoky with a hint of red cover.

I used paint, tea, sandpaper, a brick wall and my driveway to distress the sling. I am happy with the result and it fits the general aging of the gun I have done.
Here is a bad photo...

Next I cut up a toy guns ammo belt and put in the some dummy rounds to fill in the mag.
It's not perfect but I like it!

I also used Silver Rub n Buff to make things look worn down on the corners and edges. The trick to this stuff is, less is more and you have to have to really rub it in! When you think you have it rubbed in buff it some more... once you do this it will not rub off from handling. I apply with my fingers and burnish it with an old t-Shirt.

Lessons learned along the way...
1. The 870 Express is not a perfect match. The shell ejection does not line up perfectly with the original prop as the distance between the trigger and the window must be slightly more. If the 870 trigger is in the right spot on the SPAS cage the window is not. I fudged each slightly to come up with the best scenario.

2. Keeping the hammer retention spring on the 870 is not really viable without some modification to the shrouds, enough modification that it will get into the metal plate cover in that forward area.

3. The barrel of the 870 starts wide and tapers to the the end. Keep this in mind when attaching the slide to prevent binding.

4. Going all metal is heavy! My gun tips the scale at 14lbs and you can feel all of it! Good thing there is a sling!

5. IMO adding the firing lights and sound made what feels like the real deal feel like a toy. In the end I removed these as it took away from the "authenticity".

6. BE FEARLESS! I suffered a very long time of feeling like I was going to mess something up. It's your build and you should go at your pace but don't let that fear keep you from completing what was for me a bucketlist prop.

7. The mounting block is the key! without the mounting block this would have been a much harder build. I am not sure who I originally got the block from but this, for me, saved a huge about of time.

8. Aluminum black did not work. It was quite awful. In the end sanded, etch primer and paint(and adequate dry time) were a much better alternative.

How about a few pics. There will be a little more later but these are hot off the camera...

and a bonus...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:00 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Beautiful. I've put the link from this build into the Pulse Rifle build "all stars" thread of the archives.

Regarding GL trigger placement, I will just say that I don't believe anything says it has to be in the middle. Being further back doesn't hurt anything and being happy with ejection port placement would be the priority in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:42 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Just gorgeous. Excellent job!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:15 am 

Ok calling this one wrapped up.

Posted the STL for the 870 slide adapter

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4504496

I finally got around to the glamour shots of the PR and posted to YouTube.

https://youtu.be/uDHkc4TdrUE

Wish there was a way to embed this video, but please click the link. If anyone has questions please ask, happy to pass on anything I didn't document.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:20 am 

really fine work bud. great looking reproduction of a great rifle ( if it's anything like mine, it's very heavy though :) )

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:36 am 

martinr1000 wrote:
really fine work bud. great looking reproduction of a great rifle ( if it's anything like mine, it's very heavy though :) )

Yea 14lbs! I sure hope those sling mount welds are good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:09 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
This is all kinds of excellent! Thank you for sharing
I too am sloooooowly putting together a real steel PR, so will defo be using this thread as one of my ref sources.

Loving that facehugger too, what's the make of that, if I may?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:49 pm 

septic wrote:
... Loving that facehugger too, what's the make of that, if I may?

Interesting story there... someone years and years ago posted some costume items for sale and I inquired the items were but someone else asked me what I was looking for. They were generous to a newb starting out trying to get his costume together and gifted me this FH telling me to pay it forward. I have still have that facehugger and I have started doing exactly this same process. If I see someone looking for something I have I often gift it to them and tell them same thing. Every time I pull that FH out it make me feel good that some stranger was that kind to me years ago. Now the answer to your question ... no idea it just showed up one day!