The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Digging up ancient ALIENS
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:09 pm 
GarageGeek

I've been here a year or two and often in my research find myself at a dead end. When I get to the dead end that's when the interesting stuff happens. I start exploring old builders of props/armor dead links, forgotten accounts, dead webpages, ect ect.

My personal goal to to own something from every armor and BDU maker, document some photos and info and keep a thread alive specifically for the history of builders, even if their reputation isn't so good. As a new member I've just realized how much I've missed out on.

Like people cranking out aluminum M41a shrouds or very accurate hicks sized armor. I'm putting together a binder for myself and a couple flash drives of historical ALIENS fan info. Whether its old short-run resin kits that are long gone or camo patterns drawn by members ect. There are already a lot of things that have gone missing, probably forever.

I want to make as much of the old info open-source as I can. Whether that means tracking down old builders and buying the research and production contacts they have, molds, patterns, I dunno.

Above all else I'm currently trying to find Steve from "men-at-Arms", anyone with info feel free to PM me.

Here's an example of something that is long before my time but probably familiar to a few people here.

https://web.archive.org/web/20061205045 ... itary.com/

https://web.archive.org/web/20080314105 ... chor373961

Here is a good browser tool to find old webpages that don't exist anymore.

http://archive.org/web/web.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:51 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
That is pretty cool. Goes to remind everyone that nothing on the internet ever actually goes away (watch your social media!).

But back to business, that is a great project. I have also been trying to gather all the stuff I can on the 'history of the fandom'. One of the things I wanted to do, but don't yet have enough info to make the posts 'worth it' is start a thread for history of fan-made items in each category. You know, like "History of BDUs" and "History of replica Pulse rifles" etc. I'm always keeping my head on a swivel for new pics, info and, if I'm lucky, new items.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:12 am 
GarageGeek

yeah myself and another member have made a recent discovery of a set of fan made armor that was done as a huge group build. I tracked down the original maker, it was pretty cool for all involved.

bigbisont wrote:
That is pretty cool. Goes to remind everyone that nothing on the internet ever actually goes away (watch your social media!).

But back to business, that is a great project. I have also been trying to gather all the stuff I can on the 'history of the fandom'. One of the things I wanted to do, but don't yet have enough info to make the posts 'worth it' is start a thread for history of fan-made items in each category. You know, like "History of BDUs" and "History of replica Pulse rifles" etc. I'm always keeping my head on a swivel for new pics, info and, if I'm lucky, new items.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:16 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
Seven, when you ask about Steve from Men-at-arms, are you talking about the user with that name? If so, if you get any info on his whereabouts, please let the community know. Men-at-arms made off with a lot of members money on many items he was making and selling, plus he was a major d-bag due to other reasons. :evil:

**edit**
I did a search and saw that you were indeed looking for info on Steve/MAA and the fiberglass armor he created. I have my suspicions that his fiberglass armor was recast from a set of Terry English armor....which makes him an even bigger dick bag.

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:03 pm 
GarageGeek

I would love to know whatever you know. Any details, speculation or personal experience. I research things as a hobby kinda like a private investigator but just for fun. I can dig things up. From what I gather the guy went through some very hard times but I wont divulge his personal info. He can resolve things if he wants. I'm more interested in what he contributed because it's still a part of the fan history and lore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:01 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
I've a set of MAA BDUs ["version 3", I believe]. Not for sale, but happy to assist with info/pics should you require.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:08 pm 
GarageGeek

This post has been leading to some extremely cool messages and new info. not sure what to do with it all. maybe just made a folder of info i can send out.