The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Shrouds PR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:30 am 

Anyone make the body shrouds for Pulse rifles anymore?

Post subject: Re: Shrouds PR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:09 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
What do you have?

Spatcave makes one I think and I think sd studios might sell them from time to time otherwise ebay might be an option, just be very careful there as ebay is its own creature with its own set of problems.

Others can correct me if I am wrong and add other information that I missed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:48 pm 

knoxvilles_joker wrote:
What do you have?

Spatcave makes one I think and I think sd studios might sell them from time to time otherwise ebay might be an option, just be very careful there as ebay is its own creature with its own set of problems.

Others can correct me if I am wrong and add other information that I missed.

Well that's the thing, I don't have anything yet. I'm thinking about building one out of a cyma thompson. Would the spatcave work for something like that? My goal is to make something realistic looking with functional trigger and then the last item I want to add is sound. It looks like I can get the barrel shroud and triangle from sd studios. That's as far as I've gotten. Not sure what I'll do about the shotgun part... I thought I should start with the main bod shroud first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:51 pm 

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.42137E1
Spat does fully cast guns, not shrouds. His cast guns are very nice and affordable. They can be a challenge to build if you have not worked with resin before.

Matsuo does kits and shrouds. He does wonderful work, but his lead times can be very long. I would suggest contacting him directly.

No other sources that I know of, other than buying an HCG or Matrix and parting it out.

The Matrix PRs are a good way to get a somewhat functional PR for the least amount of money. They have some inaccuracies in the design, but those are usually overlooked by anyone other than USCM superfans.

Not sure of the current status of SD Studios kits, they are selling some component parts on eBay. SD stuff is very nice.

The HCG stunt guns are available, they cost more than the Matrix but are closer to screen accurate.

If you can find a Hero HCG, you are going to pay a premium price for it.

For the shotgun, easiest route is to go with an inexpensive SPAS springer, gut it for the shroud, and install a pump-action 870. The CAM870 is the most popular as it most closely replicates a real 870, but I have seen these built with other 870 variants.

I can't find a current source for real-steel or metal SPAS cages (if anyone knows of one, I am interested).

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:05 pm 

Erik_MAA wrote:
Spat does fully cast guns, not shrouds. His cast guns are very nice and affordable. They can be a challenge to build if you have not worked with resin before.

Matsuo does kits and shrouds. He does wonderful work, but his lead times can be very long. I would suggest contacting him directly.

No other sources that I know of, other than buying an HCG or Matrix and parting it out.

The Matrix PRs are a good way to get a somewhat functional PR for the least amount of money. They have some inaccuracies in the design, but those are usually overlooked by anyone other than USCM superfans.

Not sure of the current status of SD Studios kits, they are selling some component parts on eBay. SD stuff is very nice.

The HCG stunt guns are available, they cost more than the Matrix but are closer to screen accurate.

If you can find a Hero HCG, you are going to pay a premium price for it.

For the shotgun, easiest route is to go with an inexpensive SPAS springer, gut it for the shroud, and install a pump-action 870. The CAM870 is the most popular as it most closely replicates a real 870, but I have seen these built with other 870 variants.

I can't find a current source for real-steel or metal SPAS cages (if anyone knows of one, I am interested).

Thank you for the info. Matsuo doesn't do parts or kits anymore from what I understand. Just full finished PRs. I could be wrong about that, but that was the impression I got.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:32 pm 

I think he still does the parts, at least he did a year ago. I got a stock and vent. He does have a website, Google Matsucorp...also a facebook page too. May be better to give his business number a call first.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:45 pm 

Space Jockey wrote:
I think he still does the parts, at least he did a year ago. I got a stock and vent. He does have a website, Google Matsucorp...also a facebook page too. May be better to give his business number a call first.

Oh that's right. He has a stock and vent on site...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:46 pm 

Space Jockey wrote:

Question, were you putting those on a snow wolf/matrix?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:09 pm 

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.42137E1
The Matrix barrel vent is incorrect. Matt's 10-hole vent is much more accurate. The SD Studios one is also more accurate.

If you were to install either of these on a Matrix PR, you would need to replace the barrel too - the Matrix barrel is too thick.

There are some interim fixes for the Matrix vent (as well as other Matrix inaccuracies), if you search the forum they are out there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:42 am 
You tell me man, I only work here.

Matrix barrel is actually more accurate than SD or Matsuo.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:45 am 

Glenzee wrote:
Space Jockey wrote:

No, I've gradually been getting parts together to make one with an airsoft shotty and Thompson which I have yet to get. Other than those I still have to get the grenade launcher front block. I have the metal spas cage and grip, plus resin shrouds but they are not in the best shape so I have work to do on them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:45 pm 

Space Jockey wrote:
Glenzee wrote:
Space Jockey wrote:

No, I've gradually been getting parts together to make one with an airsoft shotty and Thompson which I have yet to get. Other than those I still have to get the grenade launcher front block. I have the metal spas cage and grip, plus resin shrouds but they are not in the best shape so I have work to do on them.

Nice, I think I'm going to do it this way too. A Kings Arms Thompson isn't very expensive for a good base to build on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:25 am 

Service Number: A09/TQ1.0.32134E1
I would advise caution in buying from Matsucorp. I paid for a set of handguards from him last summer. They never turned up and he became impossible to contact.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:05 am 

StephenDutton wrote:
I would advise caution in buying from Matsucorp. I paid for a set of handguards from him last summer. They never turned up and he became impossible to contact.

That's sad. I always had the impression that he was an asset to the community. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:32 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
I emailed Matsuo about a month ago and he replied quickly, maybe try again??

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:36 pm 

StephenDutton wrote:

You might try him on FB.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:15 pm 

Service Number: A09/TQ1.0.32134E1
Glenzee wrote:
StephenDutton wrote:

You might try him on FB.

I'm not on Facebook. However, the person I was buying the shrouds for is and he tried that route and got the same result. At first everything seemed okay, but then he suddenly stopped replying.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:02 pm 

StephenDutton wrote:
Glenzee wrote:
StephenDutton wrote:

You might try him on FB.

I'm not on Facebook. However, the person I was buying the shrouds for is and he tried that route and got the same result. At first everything seemed okay, but then he suddenly stopped replying.

I did speak with him not long ago. A few weeks maybe. On FB. Sounds like there is a long waiting list so, I'd guess that might be the issue. I'm thinking I don't want to have to put a bunch of money down and wait forever. Just not sure where I'll find shrouds...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:48 pm 
Mercenary

StephenDutton wrote:

Same here, order some parts from a shoulder lamp almost a year ago. I payed him, and since nothing happend..., just a short message that he is still work one the parts...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:05 pm 

OK, looks like I can get all the parts I need from Matsucorp. He does sell parts. He has the rifle shroud on his site right now, one question; what is the preferred barrel diameter: 9/16 (14.24mm) or 5/8 (16mm)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:42 pm 

I have been toying with the idea of having someone I know make formed aluminum shrouds, the problem is weather there would be sufficient interest in them and what price people are willing to pay for them in order to make it viable...

Likewise I am thinking about getting some 10 hole hero GL blocks done in aluminum and steel vents made to properly fit a Thompson (airsoft) barrel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:46 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
I'm sure there'd be interest ... depends on the quality and the cost. For ref, a set of HCG Alu shrouds go for approx US$450.
If you could do em at 1/2 that, or cheaper, you'd have a winner!

You'd be basing it off of an airsoft shroud set (so it was an easy upgrade for those with a Snow Wolf, etc)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:23 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
I agree there would be PLENTY of interest.

However, I might toss out a word of caution not to discount 'accuracy'. Original-style materials are great, but if it doesn't look original, then it isn't much of an upgrade, regardless of affordability.

Along those lines, I would be hesitant to use the existing airsoft shrouds as the template. The short, high, and square rear along with the 'too tall' ammo counter area and the inaccurate trapazoids in front of that area would all be drawbacks. Making your upgraded shrouds more accurate AND fitting the snow wolf/matrix rifles would be key to opening up the market to everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:00 pm 

I will try to investigate a little further on potential prices for it. Anyone have an idea on what thickness the original aluminum shrouds were for the hero guns?

Sorry about the confusion, when I meant I would be using an airsoft as reference, I meant a Thompson airsoft as reference for fitting the barrel vent etc. For the shrouds I would be aiming to make them as much like the original hero shrouds as I could. Likely would leave the trimming up to the buyer to keep cost down and also allow them to trim to fit their own build.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:19 am 

Service Number: A12/TQ0.0.52149E1
Would be very interested in a set of shrouds i think they used 1.5mm aluminium sheet.