The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Smart gunner headset greeblies
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:25 am 

Service Number: a02/tq2.0.12143e1
Looking to know what model kits were used for the smart gunner headset and eye piece? Any help would be great thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:40 am 

Service Number: A02/TQ0.0.52138E2
Pretty sure the eyepiece was custom, though if there has been an update to debunk that, I'd like to know as well.

Post subject: Re: Smart gunner headset greeblies
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:37 pm 

Just checked some old folders and found this picture that I took a long time ago:

Attachment:
SG-AxoidParts.JPG
SG-AxoidParts.JPG [ 60.26 KiB | Viewed 2433 times ]

Note: The picture shows the parts for the Smart Gun Sight that came from the Revell Robotech Changers "Axoid" kit. While most of the parts are correct, the one in the top left is not!

The correct kit is the Imai 1/72 scale "VF-1D Valkyrie Variable Type" ( or Revell "Robotech Orbot" or Bandai "VF-1D Variable Type").

While the Axoid is 95% identical, it features a different head/cockpit section which contains the different part.

Cheers,
Stefan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:28 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
Bug Stomper wrote:
Just checked some old folders and found this picture that I took a long time ago:

Attachment:
SG-AxoidParts.JPG

Note: The picture shows the parts for the Smart Gun Sight that came from the Revell Robotech Changers "Axoid" kit. While most of the parts are correct, the one in the top left is not!

The correct kit is the Imai 1/72 scale "VF-1D Valkyrie Variable Type" ( or Revell "Robotech Orbot" or Bandai "VF-1D Variable Type").

While the Axoid is 95% identical, it features a different head/cockpit section which contains the different part.

Cheers,
Stefan

Damn, so the Axoid is NOT correct (100%)?

I have one sitting in my storage room for a few years now... :-|

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:52 pm 

Hi Moosh,

it depends on what you are going to do:
- For the Dropship helmet it has the correct parts
- For the Smartgun headset 5 of 6 parts are correct. You might also cut down the part in the upper right of the picture to get very close to the correct part.

Also, as there are two of the correct parts in the Imai 1/72 scale "VF-1D Valkyrie Variable Type" kit and you only need one, someone might help you out with the missing part.

Cheers,
Stefan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:05 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Bug Stomper wrote:
Hi Moosh,

it depends on what you are going to do:
- For the Dropship helmet it has the correct parts
- For the Smartgun headset 5 of 6 parts are correct. You might also cut down the part in the upper right of the picture to get very close to the correct part.

Also, as there are two of the correct parts in the Imai 1/72 scale "VF-1D Valkyrie Variable Type" kit and you only need one, someone might help you out with the missing part.

Cheers,
Stefan

Thanks for the details Stefan.

Do you know if the VF-1J and VF-1S variations are the same thing? Perhaps just different color? Or actual different design/parts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:15 pm 

Cheers Stefan for the speedy reply. very helpful mate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:58 pm 

The whole thing with those Valkyries is not easy. Here's what I have found out about them:

Imai 1/72 scale VF-1D Valkyrie Variable Type = Bandai VF-1D Variable Type = Revell Robotech Orbot
=> includes all parts for basic DS helmet + all 6 parts for Smartgun Headset

Imai 1/72 scale VF-1J Valkyrie Variable Type = Bandai VF-1J Variable Type = Revell Robotech Axoid
=> includes all parts for basic DS helmet + 5 of 6 parts for Smartgun Headset + part for DS helmet sight unit

Imai 1/72 scale VF-1S Valkyrie Variable Type = Bandai VF-1S Variable Type = Revell Robotech Vexar
=> includes all parts for basic DS helmet + 5 of 6 parts for Smartgun Headset

So if you want a DS helmet sight and all parts for the SG heatset you need both - the D-Version/Orbot and the J-Version/Axoid.

Be aware that I don't own all of those kits - so no guaranties!
Also, when buying the Imai/Bandai kit, make sure it's the "Variable Type" - there are other (fix) versions, that don't have the necessary parts!

Cheers,
Stefan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:53 pm 

awesome so I'm only looking for a vf-1d if I'm only after all of the smartgun headset parts?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:32 am 

Yep, that's right (not including the Megatron and other parts)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:37 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Erm sorry for the slow uptake, but can someone please explain where each of the bits in Stefan's photo go/correspond to on the SG sight? & the DS helmet too, while we're at it. :)

1st time I've heard of all this; quite exciting actually.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:40 am 

The parts on the left side of the picture are used on front and rear of the support block at the bottom of the right side of the Smartgun headset.
The three parts to the right are used on the inside of the eye piece.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:04 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
Bug Stomper wrote:
The whole thing with those Valkyries is not easy. Here's what I have found out about them:

Imai 1/72 scale VF-1D Valkyrie Variable Type = Bandai VF-1D Variable Type = Revell Robotech Orbot
=> includes all parts for basic DS helmet + all 6 parts for Smartgun Headset

Imai 1/72 scale VF-1J Valkyrie Variable Type = Bandai VF-1J Variable Type = Revell Robotech Axoid
=> includes all parts for basic DS helmet + 5 of 6 parts for Smartgun Headset + part for DS helmet sight unit

Imai 1/72 scale VF-1S Valkyrie Variable Type = Bandai VF-1S Variable Type = Revell Robotech Vexar
=> includes all parts for basic DS helmet + 5 of 6 parts for Smartgun Headset

So if you want a DS helmet sight and all parts for the SG heatset you need both - the D-Version/Orbot and the J-Version/Axoid.

Be aware that I don't own all of those kits - so no guaranties!
Also, when buying the Imai/Bandai kit, make sure it's the "Variable Type" - there are other (fix) versions, that don't have the necessary parts!

Cheers,
Stefan

Thanks Stefan for the detailed breakdown! This is the clearest information I have seen for this so far. This definitely needs to go to the archives at some point :delta:

Now, to find one of these!: Imai 1/72 scale VF-1D Valkyrie Variable Type = Bandai VF-1D Variable Type = Revell Robotech Orbot :lol:

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8