The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: A Pulse rifle I noticed for sale
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:45 pm 
GarageGeek

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, sorry if it isnt.

Ive personally never seen an icons Pulse rifle, Just noticed one on ebay today that has signatures of Weaver, Paxton,henrickson,Goldstein, Biehn. Figured theres gotta be someone who can afford it whos been looking for one.

I've noticed a few very minor but interesting details on the ICONS rifle, does anyone know which rifle was the master for this?
Or if they scratch built one or used a screen used one?
Also noticed it has no led counter, bummer. Ive read the threads on the various companies who made these and the basic differences, The icons seems pretty basic, anyone have one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:39 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
I'm not sure of it's origins but the Icons Pulse Rifle isn't too accurate. I might have some comparison images from back in the day, I'll have a look.

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:26 pm 

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.32154E1
I have an ICONS M-41 I bought in 1998. My first and only pulse rifle that I still cherish. I remember reading about how they sourced a stunt prop from the movie and cast the molds based on it. The one I have does feature a static LED counter as well.
Sidenote- If ICONS was supposedly the first prop company to have permission from 20th century to make licensed replicas, it may have been possible that they did a run of pulse rifles from Alien 3, which did not feature the led counter.
Terry

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:01 pm 
Moderator & screen used

catling wrote:
I remember reading about how they sourced a stunt prop from the movie and cast the molds based on it.

I think that was just sales Hype unfortunately. As far as I know that's true about the HCG Pulse Rifles though.

Harry

Post subject: Re: A Pulse rifle I noticed for sale
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:03 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
This is a fun and hair-pulling bit of history. As I have come to understand it...

I thought I read at some point that it was based on a reconstructed rifle (reconstructed from original "Aliens" parts, but screen used from Alien 3).
I think it was even called "the icons rifle" for a while after they sold it before going out of business.

EDIT -I found here in my files that the rifle referred to as the "Gamma" rifle was also known as the "Icons" rifle. I don't recall the source but that is how I saved the file.
Attachment:
B Gamma 6.jpg
B Gamma 6.jpg [ 47.77 KiB | Viewed 3642 times ]

Most of the reconstructed rifles from Alien 3 did NOT have the original shrouds. I think only 1 actually. The rest had vac-formed shrouds. Maybe this led to the inaccuracies because Icons definitely exaggerated some some areas (very square tall rear portion of shroud, short barrel vent, and big gap between the barrel vent and GL among other nitpicks). Looking at the "gamma", it definitely had vac-formed shrouds and was relatively squared off at the back end compared to the filming era images with original shrouds. This would explain the decision to not go rounded over the top of the stock. The puffiness of the vac-formed also could have easily led some interpretations not entirely in line with the originals.

So anyways, it was not perfect, but it was dang solid in its day. I always wanted one. I still want one.

-The thing is, the original 'G&P' airsoft conversion kit seems to have been based on the Icons replica. It carried over most of its inaccuracies including that tall square rear of the rifle.
-As we all know, the G&P kit was itself copied/reused int he current "Matrix"/"Snow wolf" airsoft rifles. So they too carry over the quirks.
-If anyone frequents ebay for their pulse rifle kits, surely they see many "3D printed" rifle kits that are based on the snow wolf kits (very rarely original work, most direct scans). So ebay is flooded with quirky rifles that almost certainly trace their roots to the first ever licenced replica from "Icons".

So in short, for better or worse, that block of static solid resin was one of the most influential rifles in the history of our hobby. (Which is why I really want one!)

Now, no one has directly confirmed the airsoft ones were based on the icons, but just look at those images on my comp-chart
(Icons in top right, the 2 airsoft variants directly under). *3D printed rifle on that chart is original work and NOT the airsoft scan referenced above
Attachment:
Pulse Compilation v2.jpg
Pulse Compilation v2.jpg [ 765.33 KiB | Viewed 3650 times ]

Post subject: Re: A Pulse rifle I noticed for sale
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:03 pm 
Moderator & screen used

bigbisont wrote:
I found here in my files that the rifle referred to as the "Gamma" rifle was also known as the "Icons" rifle. I don't recall the source but that is how I saved the file.

Willie Goldman is the best person to comment on this but I think that James Latta, Icons owner, did at one time own that Pulse Rifle, but as I mentioned before somehow not much attention was paid to it when they made the product.

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:47 am 
GarageGeek

Excellent info. Somewhere I remember someone remodeling a Matrix pulse and making that back part rounder/smaller and correct.
I think my biggest pet peeve besides that back part is the shape of the grenade pump, might have to try to retrofit an accurate one on my Matrix if anyone knows where I can get one. That gap above the spas cage, and smaller spas cage really make the rifle look skinnier. I definitely prefer the ones that look really front-heavy and beefy, the rounder back pieces definitely help in this. Thanks for all the info everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:44 am 

Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.92142G1
I have rounded the rear shroud on my airsoft pulse rifle and is is such an improvement! Ive been meaning to update my airsoft build with new pictures for a while now!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:36 pm 
GarageGeek

stimpy wrote:
I have rounded the rear shroud on my airsoft pulse rifle and is is such an improvement! Ive been meaning to update my airsoft build with new pictures for a while now!

would love to see that. I havnt done anything to my matrix but im ready to get started. We should start a moding thread for them. Your process and anyone elses whos starting out. I also saw a great youtube video on someone modding one but it was mainly a paintjob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:26 pm 

Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.92142G1
I do have a build thread over in the airsoft section. It has a gas shotgun in the grenade launcher aswell as other mods. I recently changed the stock and a repaint but i havent updated the thread yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:20 pm 

Yeah, here's Jim's rifle as it was on display at the Icons booth at San Diego Comic-Con back in the late 90s:

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:02 am 

Harry Harris wrote:
catling wrote:
I remember reading about how they sourced a stunt prop from the movie and cast the molds based on it.

I think that was just sales Hype unfortunately. As far as I know that's true about the HCG Pulse Rifles though.

Harry

Harry you are a wealth of info of all things Aliens, period. But......I worked at Icons in the early days and one of my first memories was when Latta brought in a ratty, metal Pulse Rifle. From all the knowledge we have gained over the years, I believe it was the genuine thing. Over the next couple months, there were a few all resin PR's floating around the shop in Burbank....then I got my first real job and left. Some liberties were taken for the sake of casting.

I could be wrong, but it felt and looked like a filming prop.

EDIT: Willys pic in the post above was the PR I remember holding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:51 am 

Lear, hey, I don't think Harry's doubting the authenticity - Jim's was definitely a hero recycled for Alien 3 - there's a few tells, the color, the pad on the strap, the missing front plate snapped off by a frustrated Icons employee ;) - here's a few more shots of that specific rifle: