The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Frost armor at prop store for reference pics
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:48 pm 

Country: United States
Just a prop store link of he Frost armor theyre auctioning.

Very god reference photos for anyone building armor.
Notive how asymmetrical it is at the bottom, pretty cool

https://propstoreauction.com/view-aucti ... losed%3Dno


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:51 pm 
Marine Raider
User avatar

Location: USS FREEMONT
Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.92155E1
Country: United States
SVsd all the pics for paint references!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:54 pm 
User avatar

Location: Bay Area, California
Country: United States
Thanks! Very helpful!

_________________
"He is as clumsy as he is stupid."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:15 pm 
User avatar

Location: glasgow uk
Service Number: A12/TQ0.0.52149E1
Country: United Kingdom
Some great pics there. can't believe they are expecting that much for just a chest plate. I wonder what complete armor would go for?

_________________
Reformed Pacifist


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:27 pm 
THAT guy
User avatar

Location: Virginia
Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Country: United States
Granted he is a much more popular character, but Hudson's breastplate sold at auction last year for $42,500. It was the complete breastplate, but not complete armor. It did have the back and the shoulder bits in tact, but the iconic skull was damaged/partially covered by a mysterious and faded skull sticker.

It did come with a helmet, but it was clearly not original. It was very likely Terry English made, but had the low sitting ear flap and black 'ear defender' typical of Terry's replacement/repro helmets.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:36 pm 

Country: United States
bigbisont wrote:
Granted he is a much more popular character, but Hudson's breastplate sold at auction last year for $42,500. It was the complete breastplate, but not complete armor. It did have the back and the shoulder bits in tact, but the iconic skull was damaged/partially covered by a mysterious and faded skull sticker.

It did come with a helmet, but it was clearly not original. It was very likely Terry English made, but had the low sitting ear flap and black 'ear defender' typical of Terry's replacement/repro helmets.


I was under the impression that that entire Hudson armor was a TE repro. They never screen matched it and had a few tells of a repro. I could be mistaken.
Ive seen some footage of these live auctions, its like 30 filthy rich people just like "oh look at that, lets get whatever that is, I think our young kid has seen that movie"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:31 pm 
THAT guy
User avatar

Location: Virginia
Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Country: United States
seven wrote:
bigbisont wrote:
Granted he is a much more popular character, but Hudson's breastplate sold at auction last year for $42,500. It was the complete breastplate, but not complete armor. It did have the back and the shoulder bits in tact, but the iconic skull was damaged/partially covered by a mysterious and faded skull sticker.

It did come with a helmet, but it was clearly not original. It was very likely Terry English made, but had the low sitting ear flap and black 'ear defender' typical of Terry's replacement/repro helmets.


I was under the impression that that entire Hudson armor was a TE repro. They never screen matched it and had a few tells of a repro. I could be mistaken.
Ive seen some footage of these live auctions, its like 30 filthy rich people just like "oh look at that, lets get whatever that is, I think our young kid has seen that movie"


I actually screen matched it. The skull cover/sticker thing is weird, but the armor was definitely the set he wore in the drop scene.
That set was on display for years at the Hollywood Casino in PA. I dropped in to check it out the year before it sold and had my doubts.
My research revealed it was legit (at least the body was. Again, I have no doubt the helmet was added later)
Attachment:
Hudson Set 1 at HW Casino PA Screen Match 1.jpg
Hudson Set 1 at HW Casino PA Screen Match 1.jpg [ 352.27 KiB | Viewed 308 times ]

Attachment:
Hudson Set 1 at HW Casino PA  Screen Match 3.jpg
Hudson Set 1 at HW Casino PA Screen Match 3.jpg [ 220.65 KiB | Viewed 308 times ]

Attachment:
Hudson Set 1 at HW Casino PA Screen Match 2.jpg
Hudson Set 1 at HW Casino PA Screen Match 2.jpg [ 144.97 KiB | Viewed 308 times ]


There was a supposedly "screen used" Hicks set that is on display at the EMP museum in Seattle that was purchased by the guy that owns the Seahawks or something. That set was 100% repro and that rich dude just got ripped off.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:06 pm 

Country: United States
Leave it to you to do that hahaha!

Man its so odd how it still looks so different. (Obviously it would be a task that nobody would undertake to fake that level of accuracy.)
I hope someday everything is accounted for, every piece would have a known location. A guy on here just sold a fiberglass pull of the dietrich armor for... very cheap. If only there were some copies of the male actors gear floating around. Or if TE and some other people got together, located everything and did some serious fiberglass lineage repros.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:20 am 
User avatar

Location: Bay Area, California
Country: United States
seven wrote:
Leave it to you to do that hahaha!

Man its so odd how it still looks so different. (Obviously it would be a task that nobody would undertake to fake that level of accuracy.)
I hope someday everything is accounted for, every piece would have a known location. A guy on here just sold a fiberglass pull of the dietrich armor for... very cheap. If only there were some copies of the male actors gear floating around. Or if TE and some other people got together, located everything and did some serious fiberglass lineage repros.


That would be great. I have a fiberglass Dietrich set from waaaaaay back... Luckily it just fits, but I WOULD like a larger size. MAA did a "Male sized" set a number of years ago, which if I remember right was cast from a TE set, though not a screen-lineage set. Your idea sounds good.

_________________
"He is as clumsy as he is stupid."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Frost armor at prop store for reference pics
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:54 pm 
THAT guy
User avatar

Location: Virginia
Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Country: United States
Hey, back on topic to the Frost armor itself:

-Check out the "inside" image. From there you can clearly see that they looped his grenade straps through the bottom buckles.
The actual grenade 'loops' are gone, but you can see the velcro down the middle that used to hold the loops as well as the pointed tops of the grenade straps. The smaller 1" male buckles are also visible. Kind of funny. Cool that the original grenade straps are there though.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:40 am 

Country: United States
man that reminds me of when they had the ghostbusters belt on the Hudson armor.
I also saw a screen used proton pack with a bunch of random hoses weird places.
Like "have you seen this movie? Why the fuck are you superglueing random shit all
over it and lending it to a 6 year old for halloween?"
when I see the neglect I get so mad like, when you see someone treating their dog like shit.
Its like this stuff appears after decades and you find out someone had used it for a flower pot
or it was down in an old swimming pool that someone had filled with garbage.
If i ever get filthy rich Im gonna buy every last piece that remains and let people
check things out like a library. "wanna copy it? here, make a copy. then bring it back here
where I know it wont get shit on."


Last edited by seven on Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:49 am 

Country: United States
also funny that one strap says hicks on it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: