The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Alien: Covenant
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:56 pm 

Hi,

What, no thread? WTF?Saw it over the weekend. My take: it's not as bad as Prometheus, but it's not as good as any of the Alien movies. Yes, that includes the ones past Aliens that we don't like to talk about.The basic premise is that it fits between Prometheus and Alien. It's very clearly an Alien movie, and it shows how Prometheus was actually a prequel, mostly via deus ex machina.The one thing it does is pretty solidly cement Ridley Scott as one of the masters of horror. What happens really is horrific. Not in a gore-fest kind of way (although there is a bit of that), but more in a "evil is a real thing and that's what it looks like" kind of way.Incidentally, it completely invalidates the Alien vs. Predator movies as canon--the timelines are completely wrecked.If you're a huge fan of the Alien series give it a watch. If your brain can't cope with Prometheus not making any sense, give it a watch also. Otherwise, catch it on Netflix or something..

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic ... &t=1385235
Custom explainer video

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:46 pm 
Mercenary

I for my self love that movie..., and I hope he will make
an other part..., but that's just me...

But I'm a guy, for me Alien3 ist the best Alien movie, so my
voice didn't count that much in this forum... :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:45 am 
Officers - Making simple s**t hard since 1775

Service Number: A07/TQ1.0.52135E1
Like yourself, on a pure entertainment level, I thought it was OK but not as good as the earlier Alien films.

*Warning - Below there be spoilers*

However, speaking as a die-hard Aliens fan, I'm not sure I like all the different ways people can now get infected with aliens. And are they saying that David created the modern facehugger? And what was with the mini-alien chestburster, looked nothing like the one from the first film?

Plus other plot holes too numerous to mention.

My biggest bug bear is that Scott seems to think he can ignore all the other films, which were established canon. Scott may have directed the first film, but that doesn't mean it is his universe to do with as he please. That universe was created by writers Dan O'Bannon and Ron Sushet and belongs just as much to producer Walter Hill and fellow director James Cameron.

My personal opinion is that Scott is disrespecting the fans of the original films with this self-indulgent fan-fiction of his and the fact that this film (apparently) performed worse than Alien 3 (after adjusting for inflation) speaks volumes. Perhaps he should look for ways to give fans what they want, and pull in general cinema goers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:50 pm 
GarageGeek

Simon T that was well said. "self-indulgent fan fiction" man I think this movie was so far from an ALIEN movie that it only crippled itself by trying to involve alien at all. It could have been the next new vision from Ridley but it had an identity crisis. part of me wonders if anyone originally intended it to be related to alien at all. then they just figured itd make more money if they feathered in a connection to alien.
It could have been this insane fear fest based on genetics and people playing god. I think I would have liked it a lot if i wasnt spending every second trying to come up with an equation to explain why it contradicts everything I know about alien. WHAT IF, it was just a completely different franchise that sort of crossed over into the alien universe. like how some people think blade runner is in the same universe. I'd have liked that. They were really reaching for a connection here instead of just letting go and letting it be its own damn thing. just let go and make a good movie. Then let Blomkamp do what should have been done with ALIEN.

Post subject: Re: Alien: Covenant
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:59 pm 

Space Jockey creates Xenomorph weapon of war
Engineer recreates Xenomorph weapon of war (stolen technology)
Engineer vs. Space Jockey

Engineer creates Human
Human creates Android
Android kills Human
Android recreates Xenomorph

Space Jockey recreates Human (Biomechanic)
Human (Biomechanic) destroys Android
Space Jockey destroys Engineer
Human gets the hell outta Dodge

Job Done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:03 pm 
Mercenary

Please, no Blomkamp bullshit..., Hicks is dead, get over it...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:01 am 
GarageGeek

touche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:49 pm 

Service Number: A12/TQ0.0.52149E1
He alive according to colonial marines that's meant to be cannon no mater how stupid that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:44 am 

part of me wonders if anyone originally intended it to be related to alien at all. then they just figured itd make more money if they feathered in a connection to alien.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:16 pm 

I am one who actually enjoyed both Prometheus and Alien: Covenant, for what they were. While nowhere near the original Alien or Aliens, I felt they were both entertaining and of course, beautifully shot films. Ridley is a master at visuals. While there are certainly issues with the stories, and I'm a huge Alien fan, I'm still able to shut down and just enjoy the movies. I actually do hope he's able to do the rest to lead up to Alien. Seeing the original Juggernaut crash or land on LV-426 and how it began for the original Alien would be pretty cool. Like where the hell did all the eggs come from. And clearly, the engineer had a burster in him, is that what laid the eggs? Still a lot to answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:26 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15715&hilit=Covenant

Just a quick note: if you use the search function you will find this nine page thread with hundreds of comments on Alien Covenant. There's a build thread too for those guns (not my cup of tea but to each their own). We discussed it and moved on I guess...