The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: ALIEN model builds (UPDATED)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:45 pm 

I've been going through my Alien models that I built over 20 years ago, dusting them off and doing nice studio type photos of them. I still have several more models to go, but I have albums of the finished models on my flickr model page for anyone who may be interested in seeing them. Below are links to my albums and a few tease shots.

UPDATE: Just uploaded my Sulaco photos to my Aliens album link below.

ALIEN Album
https://www.flickr.com/photos/modelsbyc ... 7695728867

ALIENS Album
https://www.flickr.com/photos/modelsbyc ... 5889906671

ALIEN 3 Album
https://www.flickr.com/photos/modelsbyc ... 7693540347

https://www.flickr.com/photos/modelsbychris/albums

Last edited by xeno1 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:08 pm 

Wow these are great. I love these old halcyon kits. I've been gradually collecting them over the last couple of years so I can build them (some I had already built before but had to leave behind when relocating).
I have an old APC of mine I need to refurbish and have to build the Space Jockey, Facehugger, Chestburster, Dogburster and Queen Chestburster. I'm itching to get to it but right now do not have the time.
I wish the hardware - APC, Dropship, Powerloader, Sulaco, Narcissus and Nostromo - could be re-released with the kind of tooling seen on kits nowadays. What Bandai are doing with Star Wars is terrific. I wish the Alien franchise was given the same kind of attention.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:16 pm 

Space Jockey wrote:
Wow these are great. I love these old halcyon kits. I've been gradually collecting them over the last couple of years so I can build them (some I had already built before but had to leave behind when relocating).
I have an old APC of mine I need to refurbish and have to build the Space Jockey, Facehugger, Chestburster, Dogburster and Queen Chestburster. I'm itching to get to it but right now do not have the time.
I wish the hardware - APC, Dropship, Powerloader, Sulaco, Narcissus and Nostromo - could be re-released with the kind of tooling seen on kits nowadays. What Bandai are doing with Star Wars is terrific. I wish the Alien franchise was given the same kind of attention.

That would be awesome, to have some of the hardware kits redone by Bandai. They make amazingly detailed kits for Star Wars. Some of which I've done and are on my model page.

I have ALL of the Halcyon Alien kits. Some are built but I never finished painting and am trying to get around to, such as the Sulaco and Queen burster. I'm cleaning up right now my Alien Queen, Queen hugger and Nostromo for studio shots. The only kit I never built is the power loader, which I would like to get to eventually. Been very heavily working on Star Wars kits at the moment.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:39 pm 

xeno1 wrote:

That would be awesome, to have some of the hardware kits redone by Bandai. They make amazingly detailed kits for Star Wars. Some of which I've done and are on my model page.

I have ALL of the Halcyon Alien kits. Some are built but I never finished painting and am trying to get around to, such as the Sulaco and Queen burster. I'm cleaning up right now my Alien Queen, Queen hugger and Nostromo for studio shots. The only kit I never built is the power loader, which I would like to get to eventually. Been very heavily working on Star Wars kits at the moment.

I did have the Powerloader before I relocated. It was a nice kit and I'd love to build it again. It was let down however by the poor quality Ripley figure that came with it, which was injection molded like the rest of the kit, and wasn't all that detailed. I think it was probably down to the limitations of sculpting Sigourney and having it easily made with the injection molded method, rather than likeness rights. If I remember correctly she allowed her likeness on the box art if Halcyon included a writing from her in the instruction sheet encouraging people to donate to a charity (Gorillas in the Mist was released around that time and the charity was connected to saving gorillas). Though of course now, the figure could look really good if re-released.

Look forward to seeing the other build-ups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:43 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
Aoshima reboxed all the Halcyon kits, just to narrow your search :)

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:38 am 

Space Jockey wrote:
I did have the Powerloader before I relocated. It was a nice kit and I'd love to build it again. It was let down however by the poor quality Ripley figure that came with it, which was injection molded like the rest of the kit, and wasn't all that detailed. I think it was probably down to the limitations of sculpting Sigourney and having it easily made with the injection molded method, rather than likeness rights. If I remember correctly she allowed her likeness on the box art if Halcyon included a writing from her in the instruction sheet encouraging people to donate to a charity (Gorillas in the Mist was released around that time and the charity was connected to saving gorillas). Though of course now, the figure could look really good if re-released.

There's a replacement head for Ripley on Ebay that's pretty good looking. I've thought about getting that, as well as a torso of Bishop on the floor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:03 am 

I love the Space Jockey but I couldn't find it in 92.
I have the finished Halcyon's Warrior and Power Loader (without Ripley that I didn't like).
I also have the Facehugger but it lays down in a box somewhere in my attic (I'll finish it when I'm retired).

Post subject: Re: ALIEN model builds
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:19 am 

Service Number: A07/TQ2.0.12129E1
Most of the Aliens stuff is now available in '28mm' scale in resin kits from a company called 'Prodos' the APC in particular is stunning with a full interior, I added lights to mine

61.JPG
61.JPG [ 166.19 KiB | Viewed 2652 times ]

Post subject: Re: ALIEN model builds
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:39 pm 

gunny63 wrote:
Most of the Aliens stuff is now available in '28mm' scale in resin kits from a company called 'Prodos' the APC in particular is stunning with a full interior, I added lights to mine

Yea, my APC and Drop Ship have lights in them as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:48 pm 

Got photos of my Queen Alien added to my Aliens album posted above.