The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: NECA / Al Matthews
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:00 am 

https://twitter.com/NECA_TOYS/status/838800143839334400

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:57 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
To be fair Randy said that about Jeannette too, but given Al's track record this time it's probably true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:34 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
This has been going on a couple years where everyone demands him and Randy says they can't even contact him let alone work out a deal.

I wonder how did Gearbox/Sega reach him when they used his likeness and voice in the A:CM game? Maybe hot toys tainted the world of action figures forever when they did their Apone figure (with very specific ways to avoid paying him) and now he is just not in the mood to be bothered with toys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:56 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

I thought Hot Toys tried to get his permission and he said no. Are you saying they just made the figure without even trying to do right by him? That's crummy.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:41 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
retrogarde wrote:
I thought Hot Toys tried to get his permission and he said no. Are you saying they just made the figure without even trying to do right by him? That's crummy.

Well, I don't think anyone can truly know what conversations may or may not have happened, but the interview I saw implied he was never contacted in any way. Similar responses came from Beihn, Goldstein, and Rolsten. I've heard/read quotes from each of them that they never knew the figures existed until fans started bringing them to conventions to have them signed.

I also read that Matthews even went so far as to claim an african american figure with a generic face based on Apone would be something he would have his lawyer battle. He argues since the character was not written specifically as african american, that aspect was something that he personally brought to the character. In retrospect, that fact likely explains why the Hot Toys "Apone" did not even have the correct skin tone.

When people criticize the hot toys marines, it should be noted the faces weren't terrible because hot toys did a "bad job" or didn't "know". Of course they knew Drake didn't have red hair a mustache. They knew Vaz wasn't a gringa with dirty blonde hair and Apone wasn't light skinned with a goatie. Those decisions were made so that Hot Toys didn't have to pay anyone.

In the same interview, btw, Matthews did outright say he would love to have a figure made of him, so long as it looked like him and he was compensated.
I'll try to find the original article/interview and post it here. It was quite a while ago though. Perhaps hard feelings have taken hold or maybe he simply has other things he now prioritizes.

Last edited by bigbisont on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:21 pm 
First to Die.

Service Number: A10/TQ2.0.72155E1
Kenner had a better Apone likeness. I never realized that's why they were so horrible, now I'm glad I didn't buy them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:37 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Know what I'd like? Outcry27, Mermear and Tentacle Chris figs from NECA. Say what you will about A:CM, but they worked their butts off promoting it and had their likenesses used in the game. If NECA will make Predators from a fan film into figures, why not three of our own??

What if we petitioned NECA? Not to downplay the backstory for Windrix, buy they did kind of open the door to the possibility of this with that tribute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:56 pm 

Doesn't someone here know Al? Is there a way we can put them in touch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:25 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
A few of us are friends with him on Facebook but he rarely posts anything these days.

I'm not sure how one would respectfully approach him on the topic if he indeed was turned sour at the thought.

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:56 am 
I Don't Roll on Shabbas

I have his agent/rep details, I'll pass them on to Randy at Neca. Everything with Al goes through his agent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:23 am 

Awesome, thanks ADC... If you're on Twitter, maybe let Randy know there too - may yield some results...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:26 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
Yeah, and do so publicly so that they can't play "stupid" later.

"We didn't have his details! We didn't know how to get ahold of him!"

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:45 am 

Anyone in touch with Al?

https://twitter.com/NECA_TOYS/status/10 ... 4903631872

Post subject: Re: NECA / Al Matthews
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:16 pm 

This is on a public-viewable FB page, which is the reason I replicate it here...I don't know if it is from the same FB page Moosh refers to above.
According to his IMDB page, he's acted in a couple of roles during 2017-2018. I cannot access agent info as I don't have PRO on IMDB (he has two contacts listed; Agent and Direct). If his actor listing is up to date, maybe the contact info there is too.

ALM.JPG
ALM.JPG [ 17.76 KiB | Viewed 3242 times ]