The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Cameron's commentary on Colonial Marine history
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:00 am 

Can any of you recall where Cameron had said something about how he based the Colonial Marines on, was it, British military contracted out to Dutch traders and what not back in the day? I think it was on the DVD or Blu commentary, and there was an article online that went into it, but I can't seem to find the exact quote...

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Cameron's commentary on Colonial Marine history
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:29 am 

Wow. Never heard about that one. Sounds very interesting. Always wondered about why WY could have sent the Sulcao over...

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:07 pm 

If I recall correctly, Mr. Cameron based the USCM characters in Aliens on his recollections of U.S. Vietnam War-era Marines. I'll watch it again this afternoon and let you know what I find in the commentaries/special-features. :)

Edit - found this:
"A military plot also provided the director [Cameron] to layer Vietnam metaphors into the story. Like any child of the sixties, Cameron had grown up surrounded by Vietnam imagery and themes, and had further immersed himself in the conflict while researching his Rambo script. He watched Apocalypse Now and read Tim O’Brien’s Going After Cacciato and Michael Herr's Dispatches. Cameron adopted the cocky attitude and lingo of U.S. troops in Vietnam for the Colonial Marines in Aliens. And he used the arc of the Vietnam story--the pride coming before the fall. "It was a definite parallel to Vietnam to tell the story of a technologically superior military force which is defeated by a determined, furtive, asymmetric enemy," Cameron says.

Quoted from:
The Futurist: The Life and Films of James Cameron
by Rebecca Keegan
Three Rivers Press; Reissue edition (October 5, 2010)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:19 pm 

Cool, cool - thanks for this... In terms of the Marines relationship to the company, I think he referenced Dutch trading companies contracting out to the British - I'll have to dig it out, just can't seem to find it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:16 am 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
That does ring a bell Willie yeah

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:43 pm 
Lifer

Willie the commentary you're looking for is on the bluray (select 2003 cast commentary) starting at 22:10 (at least on my single BR copy)...

This all takes place in the "Ripley's Apartment" scene where Burke and Gorman compel her to go on the mission. Basically Cameron starts talking about how the Vietnam War was about America protecting business interests in South East Asia, and goes on about how the Corporation has the contract to establish colonies much like the "Dutch East India" company controlled that area of the World at the time. (paraphrasing): Colonial Marines are called in for security reasons to protect the interests of the Company on whatever planet the Company is on.

He doesn't mention British forces specifically but rather the "military" in general.

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:18 pm 

SSgt Burton wrote:
Willie the commentary you're looking for is on the bluray (select 2003 cast commentary) starting at 22:10 (at least on my single BR copy)...

This all takes place in the "Ripley's Apartment" scene where Burke and Gorman compel her to go on the mission. Basically Cameron starts talking about how the Vietnam War was about America protecting business interests in South East Asia, and goes on about how the Corporation has the contract to establish colonies much like the "Dutch East India" company controlled that area of the World at the time. (paraphrasing): Colonial Marines are called in for security reasons to protect the interests of the Company on whatever planet the Company is on.

He doesn't mention British forces specifically but rather the "military" in general.

Kevin

You rock brother - HUGE help - can't thank you enough...

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:46 am 
Lifer

You're welcome Willie! Glad I could help.

Kevin