The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Looking for cheap steadicam vest
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:32 am 

Country: United States
I am out of my holiday funk and am looking at options for a steadicam vest. Unfortunately I am not able to find the original thread where a model was suggested to me prior. Help please.

_________________
The impossible takes a while longer and goes over budget too...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Looking for cheap steadicam vest
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:29 pm 
reload
User avatar

Location: Hamburg
Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.12136E1
Country: Germany
Some sources and references:

http://www.steadicamforum.com
ebay (search for steady cam)
Low cost brands: Glidecam, FlyCam, ...

http://forum.alienslegacy.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16065&hilit=steadicam+mk

The real deal:
http://forum.alienslegacy.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14382&hilit=steadicam+mk
Cinema Products Model III vest

If you go for a low cost solution just make sure that the springs on the arm can handle the weight.

_________________
Sgt. Frank Peters 'reload' Smartgun Operator
A03/TQ3.0.12136E1 "It will be no picknick!"
UKCM Foreign Legion: The Deviant Dragoons

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Looking for cheap steadicam vest
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:44 pm 

Country: United States
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... 75EALw_wcB

33lb capacity. Less than 1k And it does not appear to have velcro straps, a main complaint on the cheaper vests.


https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... YNEALw_wcB

This one seems to use velcro more. Complaint with velcro is that it wears out over time...

_________________
The impossible takes a while longer and goes over budget too...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Looking for cheap steadicam vest
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:56 pm 
reload
User avatar

Location: Hamburg
Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.12136E1
Country: Germany
knoxvilles_joker wrote:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1148838-REG/came_tv_lbv_l4a_lbs1_pro_camera_video_carbon.html?ap=y&c3api=1876%2C%7Bcreative%7D%2C%7Bkeyword%7D&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtJbTBRDkARIsAIA0a5OnqBZ4zo3Wxn_i5yFSZYDo5rTwb4KoN-OfiIZmQuCtP5rln41niksaAu75EALw_wcB

33lb capacity. Less than 1k And it does not appear to have velcro straps, a main complaint on the cheaper vests.


https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... YNEALw_wcB

This one seems to use velcro more. Complaint with velcro is that it wears out over time...


Nice finds. The difference in shape and quality of these two speak for themself.
If you buy a "new" vest you will not get leather, quick release, ... all those features that make it look like the vest used for the movie.
In this regard I can only recommand to look in the stead cam sales groups online.

With 600-900 USD excluding shipment you should get a decend vest as your links show.
The prices of the 33lb is that high because of all the extras you don't need.
If you check with the shop you might be able to buy it without these extras for a lower prices.

_________________
Sgt. Frank Peters 'reload' Smartgun Operator
A03/TQ3.0.12136E1 "It will be no picknick!"
UKCM Foreign Legion: The Deviant Dragoons

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:53 pm 

Location: Colorado
Service Number: A05/TQ3.0.02118E1
Country: United States
The First link you listed and holds up to 33lbs looks a lot like the one I'm using. But mine didn't come with any markings, so I don't know who made it. I got it used from eBay, it was expensive but it works great.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:57 am 

Country: United States
Drake555 wrote:
The First link you listed and holds up to 33lbs looks a lot like the one I'm using. But mine didn't come with any markings, so I don't know who made it. I got it used from eBay, it was expensive but it works great.


Weight is the main concern, overload it and you will get premature failure. I will go with the 19lb capacity vest and upgrade later if I have to.

350 is a good starting point on the 19lb vest.

From what I saw a good vest will run about 1-2k for a good high capacity one.

_________________
The impossible takes a while longer and goes over budget too...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:45 am 

Location: Wellywood, New Zealand.
Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Country: New Zealand
My $0.02 - before you spend any $$$, work out the expected / finalise the actual weight of your SG?

No point in paying for something that might not be fit for purpose. 19 lbs sounds like bugger all to me.
My Shoei SG's pretty close to 15kg [33 lbs] & that's with no airsoft internals ...

It would suck to have to compromise the quality of your SG build to make it lighter to cope with a lesser vest/arm rig.

_________________
Cpl Aron "Septic" Williams
A10/TQ0.0.82146E1


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Looking for cheap steadicam vest
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:06 pm 
User avatar

Location: Berlin
Country: Germany
I can report that I just made a budget vest/arm combo work which was designed for a lesser weight. My Smartgun is based on a deactivated MG53, thus reeeally heavy. I had the springs exchanged for stronger ones at a specialised workshop and that did the trick. The rest of the arm construction seems strong enough to carry the weight. It was a little tricky to install the stronger springs though.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Looking for cheap steadicam vest
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:39 pm 
reload
User avatar

Location: Hamburg
Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.12136E1
Country: Germany
Moloch wrote:
I can report that I just made a budget vest/arm combo work which was designed for a lesser weight. My Smartgun is based on a deactivated MG53, thus reeeally heavy. I had the springs exchanged for stronger ones at a specialised workshop and that did the trick. The rest of the arm construction seems strong enough to carry the weight. It was a little tricky to install the stronger springs though.


The arm I use is the same as Matt B. arm. His M56 is let's say in the same weight class as your M56 Moloch. :-)
Holding Matt's, yours and my M56 I can confirm that going for the right spring is the key to avoid failures in the future.
Plus having the system to actul support you instead of holding such a weight makes so much sense. ;)

So second what Moloch wrote if you go for a cheap arm try to adjust it with new springs if needed.

_________________
Sgt. Frank Peters 'reload' Smartgun Operator
A03/TQ3.0.12136E1 "It will be no picknick!"
UKCM Foreign Legion: The Deviant Dragoons

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Looking for cheap steadicam vest
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:41 pm 

Country: United States
577_ops wrote:
Moloch wrote:
I can report that I just made a budget vest/arm combo work which was designed for a lesser weight. My Smartgun is based on a deactivated MG53, thus reeeally heavy. I had the springs exchanged for stronger ones at a specialised workshop and that did the trick. The rest of the arm construction seems strong enough to carry the weight. It was a little tricky to install the stronger springs though.


The arm I use is the same as Matt B. arm. His M56 is let's say in the same weight class as your M56 Moloch. :-)
Holding Matt's, yours and my M56 I can confirm that going for the right spring is the key to avoid failures in the future.
Plus having the system to actul support you instead of holding such a weight makes so much sense. ;)

So second what Moloch wrote if you go for a cheap arm try to adjust it with new springs if needed.


I'll get the weight on the setup and post (editing this post.)

_________________
The impossible takes a while longer and goes over budget too...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:48 am 
User avatar

Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.42137E1
Country: United States
I went with the Camtree vest I got off eBay. It's not screen accurate but still looks the part. IIRC it was less than $300 and included the arm.

_________________
Image

USCM Expeditionary Force - Minnesota Region:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/224001081462511/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:18 pm 

Country: United States
I will be going with the 800 dollar unit off bhphoto. I have had no issues with any product they sell and their customer support is beyond top notch if you have issues... I got weight measurements from Matty on his setup and I will need the heavier duty rig due to all the accessories I will be piling on it.

_________________
The impossible takes a while longer and goes over budget too...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Looking for cheap steadicam vest
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:32 pm 
User avatar

Country: Netherlands
I´ve bought a flycam galaxy vest, it comes with two sets of springs 0-5 kg and 5-10 kg. Currently Iḿ using the 0-5 kg for the wooden smartgun Iḿ building. It is also one the cheapest vests ; 424 euro incl vat.
One thing that could be improved is the platic clips. But otherwise itś good value for money

IMG_20180322_202512460.jpg
IMG_20180322_202512460.jpg [ 326.36 KiB | Viewed 1407 times ]

IMG_20180322_202220074.jpg
IMG_20180322_202220074.jpg [ 303.66 KiB | Viewed 1407 times ]

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Looking for cheap steadicam vest
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:29 am 

Country: United States
Well mine is going to be doing double duty. I am starting to get into the production side of things so the higher capacity is going to give me more options for rigs and setups...

_________________
The impossible takes a while longer and goes over budget too...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Looking for cheap steadicam vest
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:38 am 

Location: USA
Service Number: A02/TQ0.0.52138E1
Country: United States
Epsilon wrote:
I´ve bought a flycam galaxy vest, it comes with two sets of springs 0-5 kg and 5-10 kg.


I have the same set up. Planning to add rounded "shrouds" to the are to give them a bigger look.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Looking for cheap steadicam vest
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:17 pm 
User avatar

Country: Netherlands
I have the same set up. Planning to add rounded "shrouds" to the are to give them a bigger look.[/quote]

good idea, it got me started to do the same. I have them from black foam, its easy to work with can be removed (doublesided carpet tape) and prevents metal on metal parts clinging and scratching. same on the vest, the rubber band with hooks comes in handy to stop the arm/gun from swinging when you need both hands free.

I also made a fake quick release cable and ring from elastic. Such a cool scene when Drake just pulls his whole vest off and continues with the flame thrower, reminds me of terminator 2 when Arnold just drops (the super expensive) minigun when he no longer has a need for it 8)

IMG_20180401_112815887.jpg
IMG_20180401_112815887.jpg [ 278.25 KiB | Viewed 1245 times ]

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Looking for cheap steadicam vest
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:19 pm 
User avatar

Country: Netherlands
knoxvilles_joker wrote:
Well mine is going to be doing double duty. I am starting to get into the production side of things so the higher capacity is going to give me more options for rigs and setups...


like movie production hence double duty ?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Looking for cheap steadicam vest
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:33 am 

Country: United States
Epsilon wrote:
knoxvilles_joker wrote:
Well mine is going to be doing double duty. I am starting to get into the production side of things so the higher capacity is going to give me more options for rigs and setups...


like movie production hence double duty ?


Yup. Used it to record our easter service here. Still need a couple more recording sessions to get the setup working a little bit better.

https://www.facebook.com/callahanroad/v ... f=mentions

Plus I have been rethinking on the smart gunner build. I can run the smart gun sight camera to a broadcast unit. Or the FPS camera.

_________________
The impossible takes a while longer and goes over budget too...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: